List of fictional big cats
(Redirected from List of fictional lions)Jump to navigation Jump to search
This list of fictional big cats is subsidiary to the List of fictional cats and other felines and includes notable large feline characters that appear in various works of fiction. This list excludes hybrids such as ligers and tiglons.
|Aslan||Lion||C. S. Lewis||The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe||A talking lion, the King of Beasts, son of the Emperor-Over-the-Sea; a wise, compassionate, magical authority (both temporal and spiritual); mysterious and benevolent guide to the human children who visit; guardian and saviour of Narnia. Lewis described Aslan as an alternative version of Christ, that is, as the form in which Christ might have appeared in a fantasy world. "Aslan" is Turkish for "lion".|
|Bagheera||Leopard||Rudyard Kipling||The Jungle Book||Friendly, loyal, trustworthy, protective, sly, clever, serious and responsible character|
|Cowardly Lion||Lion||L. Frank Baum||The Wonderful Wizard of Oz||As his name implies, he is a lion without any courage.|
|Grograman||Lion||Michael Ende||The NeverEnding Story||Dubbed "The Many Colored Death" (Graógramán, der Bunte Tod in German)|
|Guenhwyvar||Black panther||R. A. Salvatore||600 lb. Astral entity, summoned through a figurine likeness. Guenhwyvar can spend half a day on the Material Plane before needing to be dismissed home to rest. She will also heal faster on the Astral Plane.|
|Hungry Tiger||Tiger||L. Frank Baum||Ozma of Oz||A gluttonous tiger who will not eat friends or defenseless beings due to his conscience|
|Jad-bal-ja||Lion||Edgar Rice Burroughs||Tarzan and the Golden Lion||A companion to Tarzan|
|Jussuf||Tiger||Günter Eich||Der Tiger Jussuf||The title circus tiger in a radio play|
|Lafcadio||Lion||Shel Silverstein||Lafcadio: The Lion Who Shot Back||The title character in a children's book|
|Naga||Lioness||Scott Hawkins||The Library at Mount Char||Short for 'Nagasaki' She is a young lioness who befriends the hero of the story.|
|Richard Parker||Tiger||Yann Martel||Life of Pi||Companion to Pi, originally named "Thirsty" but renamed due to a name confusion with the hunter|
|Shere Khan||Tiger||Rudyard Kipling||The Jungle Book||A dishonorable tiger who seeks to devour Mowgli and rule the jungle|
|Stelmaria||Snow leopard||Philip Pullman||His Dark Materials||Lord Asriel's daemon|
|Tigger||Tiger||A. A. Milne||Winnie the Pooh||Does not like thistles, acorns or honey, but loves Malt Medicine|
|The Tiger Who Came to Tea||Tiger||Judith Kerr||The Tiger Who Came to Tea||A tiger who interrupts Sophie and her family's afternoon tea session|
|Yambo||Cheetah||André Mercier||Our Friend Yambo||A curious biography of a cheetah adopted by a French couple and brought to live in Paris|
- Baby, a tame leopard in the film Bringing Up Baby starring Cary Grant
- Charlie, a cougar raised in captivity and grown to be wild in the film Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar
- Duma, a cheetah in the film Duma and Walt Disney's live-action film Cheetah
- Elsa the Lioness, raised by Joy Adamson in Born Free
- Kumal and Sangha, two separated and reunited tigers in the 2004 film Two Brothers
- Joe and Janet, two lions at the Franklin Park Zoo in Zookeeper
- Clarence, a lion in the 1965 film Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion
- Daniel Striped Tiger on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
- Drooper, lion from the Banana Splits
- Ludicrous Lion, peddler character from H.R. Pufnstuf
- Clarence, lion from Daktari based on the film Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion
- Cleopatra, Theo, Lionel and Leona from Between the Lions
- Adolar, a lion in the pantomime comic Der Löwe Adolar by Becker-Kasch. 
- Battle Cat, in the Masters of the Universe franchise.
- Dr. Lion, the headmaster of the school in Jungle Jinks and its spin-off Dr. Lion's Boys, a British comic strip by Arthur White and Mabel F. Taylor. 
- Herrmann, lion of Jimmy van Doren in Stephen Desberg and Daniel Desorgher's Jimmy van Doren.
- Hobbes, an anthropomorphic stuffed tiger and best friend of Calvin in the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes
- Joe le Tigre, a tiger in Mic Delinx and Christian Godard's La Jungle en Folie.
- Jiba, a tiger in Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san
- King Lionel, a lion in Lionel's Kingdom
- Lyle and Lana from Animal Crackers comic strip
- Max, a bobcat companion of G.I. Joe pointman Spearhead in G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero
- Meo, a tiger in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.
- Moloch, Corentin's pet tiger in Paul Cuvelier's Corentin. 
- The nameless lion who is the sidekick of the nameless shepherd's dog in Le Génie des Alpages by F'murr. 
- Richie, from the manga One Piece
- Shiva, a tiger in The Walking Dead
- Tawky Tawny, an anthropomorphic tiger who appears as a supporting character of DC Comics' Captain Marvel.
- Tiger Tim, a tiger created by Julius Stafford Baker. 
- Lying Cat, a Somewhat sentient feline, Who detects lies, from Saga.
- Bubsy, a bobcat from Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind and four other Bubsy games
- Charr, from Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2
- Hunter the Cheetah, from Spyro: A Hero's Tail and various other Spyro games
- Guenhwyvar, a magical black panther from the Astral Plane in the fictional universe of the Forgotten Realms
- T'ai Fu, from T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger
- Katt and Tiga, from Breath of Fire II
- Gado, Shina, Long and Shenlong, from Bloody Roar
- Pura from the Crash Bandicoot series
- Neyla and Rajan, from Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- Neon Tiger, a Maverick in Mega Man X3
- Trap Shadow, a black and purple tiger armed with foothold traps from Skylanders: SWAP Force
- Tuff Luck, a tigress armed with Traptanium-forged warblades from Skylanders: Trap Team.
- Dawon, tiger from Hindu mythology
- Maahes, Egyptian lion god of war, son of Bast
- Panther, panther with sweet breath in Medieval Bestiary
- Sekhmet, a goddess in Egyptian mythology with the head of a lioness
- Underwater panther, in Native American mythology
- Were-jaguar, shapeshifting jaguar spirit in Olmec mythology
- Byakko, white tiger in Japanese mythology
- The Yali, a mythical lion from Hindu mythology
Mascots and others
- Chester Cheetah, mascot of Cheetos
- Exxo the Tiger, mascot
- Leo, mascot of film and television studio Metro Goldwyn Mayer
- Roary, mascot of the Detroit Lions American football team.
- Paws, mascot of the Detroit Tigers baseball team.
- Tony the Tiger, mascot of Frosted Flakes
- Willie the Wildcat, mascot of the Kansas State University Wildcats.
- Who Dey, mascot of the Cincinnati Bengals American football team.
- List of fictional cats and felines — Mixed list of mostly smaller felines
- List of cats — Nonfictional cats
- Langenscheidt Pocket Turkish Dictionary
- Rovin, p. 18.
- Rovin, p. 32.