List of prayers
This is a list of Prayers.
Common to several denominations
- Glory Be to the Father
- Good Friday Prayer
- Grace at Meals, including some non-Christian versions
- Guardian Angel Prayer
- Lord's Prayer
- Magnificat (Song of Mary)
- Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace
- Nicene Creed
- Apostles' Creed
- Serenity Prayer
- Trinitarian formula
Roman Catholic prayers
- Act of Contrition
- Prayer for all Sorts and Conditions
- For General Thanksgiving
Eastern Orthodox prayers
Prayers of the Theotokos ("Mary, Mother of God")
- It Is Truly Meet
- O Virgin Pure
The English term "prayer" can refer to any of three separate concepts in Islamic spiritual practice:
- Salat, ritual Islamic prayer, prescribed five times daily:
- Besides the five daily prayers, other notable forms of salat include:
- Dua, or "supplication"
- Dhikr, or "remembrance of God", often involving various repeated phrases, most notably:
NOTE: If an observant Muslim has missed many prayers, whether in the recent past or over a long period, there is a recommended prayer for this situation, called the qaza e umri prayer. The qaza e umri involves four rakat namaz; in each of these, after al-hamd shareef, ayat ul kursi is to be recited seven times, and surah e kausar is to be recited fifteen times. For the second rakat, the penitent should recite to durood and dua, and thence continue to the third rakat without saying salaam. The third rakat proceeds from sana, and is to be continued similarly to the second, up through the end of the fourth rakat at durood and dua.
The qaza e umri prayer is usually offered in mosques on jummah tul widah of Ramadan, and it is said[by whom?] that this special Ramadan prayer may serve as qaza for all prayers one has missed reciting.
- List of Jewish Prayers and Blessings
- Tefillah prayers prescribed 3 times a day by observant Jews and 4 times a day during every Shabbat service:
- Shema Yisrael
- Kol Nidre
- Berakhah (Jewish blessings) According to Jewish tradition, religious Jews are required to recite 100 berakhot (blessings) each day.