Administrative building of the university.
|Motto||Inspired by Life|
|Chancellor||Dr. Ramdas M Pai|
|Location||Manipal, Karnataka, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 600 acres (2.4 km2)|
|Affiliations||UGC, ACU, AIU|
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, (branded as Manipal University) is a deemed university awarded by University Grants Commission. It is located in Manipal, Karnataka, India. It has over 28,000 students from 52 countries. The university has branch campuses in Bangalore, Mangalore, Sikkim, Jaipur, Dubai, Malaysia and Antigua. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
|List of vice chancellors|
In 1953, T.M.A. Pai founded India's first private medical school, Kasturba Medical College, and five years later the Manipal Institute of Technology was formed. Ramdas Pai took over the management in 1979 after the death of T.M.A. Pai. Initially all degrees were awarded by Karnatak University Dharwad and later Mysore University. From 1980 to 1993 they were awarded by Mangalore University. The current organizational structure was formed in 1993, when Manipal University (then known as the Manipal Academy of Higher Education) was accorded deemed university status by the University Grants Commission. The university is certified as an ISO 14001:2004 organization. In, 2007, it rebranded itself as Manipal University. The legal name remains the Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
The university is composed of the following schools:
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal Life Science Center, Manipal
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Design, Manipal
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- International Center for Applied Sciences, Manipal
- Manipal Center for Informational Science, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Management, Manipal
- Melaka Manipal Medical College, Malacca, Malaysia
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- School of Jewellery Management, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Communication, Manipal and Bangalore
- School of Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore
- Department of European Studies, Manipal
- Manipal Centre for Philosophy and Humanities, Manipal
- ICICI Manipal Academy, Bangalore
The university is made up of the following departments:
- Department of Geopolitics, Manipal
- Department of Commerce, Manipal
- Department of Statistics, Manipal
- Department of Public Health, Manipal
- Department of Sciences, Manipal
- Department of Atomic and Molecular Physics, Manipal
- Department of Advanced Pharmaceutical Science, Manipal
- Department of Culinary Arts, Manipal
There is one autonomous institute
Campuses in Manipal
Healthsciences Campus (Manipal)
The campus includes the Center for Basic Sciences, healthcare colleges and the Kasturba Hospital.
The Innovation Centre was established during the 50th anniversary of the Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT): It is a research center in which funding is provided to students, faculty and the university.
Manipal University has a chain of six libraries.
Budgetary provisions are given for research through capital allocations for the maintenance of animal facility, consumables, equipment etc. ₹1.5 crore (US$220,000) was sanctioned to MIT in 2008–2009 towards funding innovation.
MCOPS, Manipal sends its second-year postgraduate (PG) students for collaborative research programmes at R&D centres all over the country. Often the research carried out by them becomes a part of the intellectual property of the company.
The Manipal Life Science Centre has a research team and is undertaking several research projects funded by DBT, DST, etc. MLSC is linked to several international research institutions such as Wistar Institute Philadelphia, University of Queensland, etc.
Manipal Advanced Research Group
The Manipal Advanced Research Group was formed in early 2006 with an aim to grow new research projects in fundamental sciences and promote interdisciplinary cooperation in areas between basic research, biomedical science and engineering.
Notable alumni of the university are:
- A. V. Baliga (1904–1964), physician and educationist
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar, entrepreneur and Member of Parliament of India
- Sameer Hashmi, journalist with the BBC
- Vinod Jose, editor in chief of Indian magazine The Caravan
- Sudhish Kamath, film critic and independent filmmaker
- Vikas Khanna, Michelin Starred Indian Chef, Restaurateur, Cookbook Author, Filmmaker, Humanitarian and Judge of MasterChef India
- Annapoorna Kini, American cardiologist and professor of cardiology
- Shriya Kishore, Pantaloons Femina Miss India Earth 2009
- Nithya Menen, film actress and playback singer
- Belle Monappa Hegde, medical scientist
- Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
- Parvathy Nair, model and actress
- Nitya Prakash, author
- Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, cardiac surgeon
- Devi Shetty, American cardiologist
- Rajeev Suri, CEO of Nokia
- Dr. T. M. A. Pai, doctor, educationist, banker and philanthropist
- Deemed universities within India
- "Manipal Academy of Higher Education". New Delhi, India: University Grants Commission.
- "Manipal University Top Amongst the Indian Private Universities in the QS Asian University Rankings". Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Manipal University Overview". manipal.edu. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Dr. HS Ballal appointed as new Vice Chancellor of MAHE". oneIndia.in. 2 September 2003.
- "Adieu to Dr. Raj Warrier" (PDF). Departmental News. Department of Pediatrics ~ LSUMC New Orleans. 9 (2). May 2007.
- "K. Ramnarayan, Manipal varsity Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 31 May 2010.
- Jayashankar, Mitu; D'Souza, Nilofer (September 12, 2011). "(untitled article)". Forbes India Magazine.
- "UGC accreditation". Manipal gets deemed university status. University Grants Commission. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Green Manipal". Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- http://express-press-release.net/34/MAHE,%20now%20Manipal%20University,%20Introduces%20online%20entrance%20tests%20for%20admissions%20to%20its%20programs.php. Express Press Release. 26-02-2007. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/inside/deemed universities/manipal.html. Deemed Universities. University Grants Commission. 2006. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- "Campus area". Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Research Overview". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "MARG". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "TOI-MARG". The Times Of India. 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manipal University.|