Maria Redaelli on her 113th birthday in April 2012
|Born||Maria Angela Redaelli
3 April 1899
Inzago (Province of Milan), Italy
|Died||2 April 2013
(aged 113 years, 364 days)
Novate Milanese (Province of Milan), Italy
|Occupation||Silk spinning mill worker|
|Spouse(s)||Gaspare Granoli (1898-1979)
(m. 1923–1979; his death)
|Parents||Carlo Redaelli and Marina Gorla|
Maria Redaelli (3 April 1899 – 2 April 2013) was an Italian supercentenarian. At the time of her death, just one day shy of her 114th birthday, she was the oldest living person in Italy, the oldest living person in Europe and the third oldest living person in the world.
Maria Angela Redaelli was born on 3 April 1899 in Inzago, near Milan in the region of Lombardy. She married Gaspare Granoli (1898–1979) and the couple raised two children, Carla (1925) and Luigi (1930–2004). She worked in a silk spinning mill for almost 40 years while her husband was a steelworker in the Breda Industry, in Sesto San Giovanni, where they lived. After 1974, Redaelli moved to Novate Milanese and lived with her daughter's family. In her last days she was in good health, clear headed, quite active, and was still able to walk. Although she had some problems with her sight and hearing, she still read newspapers and magazines every day and on television followed her greatest passion and favourite football club, Inter Milan.
On 3 April 2012, she celebrated her 113th birthday with a big party organized by her town, Novate Milanese, with the help of Inter City Fan Club. She was driven by a police car to the center of her town where she was welcomed by the Mayor Lorenzo Guzzeloni and celebrated by all citizens. Bedy Moratti, sister of Inter president Massimo Moratti, and Ernesto Paolillo, Inter F.C. chief executive officer, took part in the party to give Redaelli a special shirt and the best wishes from the team.
She died peacefully on 2 April 2013 at the age of 113 years, 364 days of natural causes in her sleep, she was survived by a daughter (aged 88), 2 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren.
- List of Italian supercentenarians
- List of European supercentenarians
- List of the verified oldest people
- List of the verified oldest women
- List of supercentenarians who died in 2013
- Oldest people
- (Italian) http://video.repubblica.it/edizione/milano/e-milanese-la-donna-piu-vecchia-d-europa/98027?video=&ref=HRESS-4
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- (Italian) http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2009/aprile/04/Maria_110_anni_mie_passioni_co_7_090404001.shtml
- (Italian) http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2004/aprile/04/interista_105_anni_sogno_incontrare_co_7_040404029.shtml
- (Italian) http://www.news-notizie.wineuropa.it/notizie/2-notizie-nazionali/7-altre-notizie/162438-Addio-a-Maria-la-nonna-dEuropa-A-un-passo-dal-gol-dei-114-anni.html
- (Italian) http://novate-milanese.netweek.it/notizie/cronaca/novate-milanese-la-super-nonnina-compie-112-anni-1858375.html
- (Italian) http://www.ilgiornale.it/news/festa-grande-novate-i-113-anni-nonna-maria.html
- (Italian) "113 anni di Maria Redaelli di Novate Milanese". YouTube.
|Oldest living Italian
23 February 2012 – 2 April 2013
|Oldest living Italian-born person
17 December 2012 – 2 April 2013
|Oldest living European
8 June 2012 – 2 April 2013