|Compatible networks||quad-band GSM, UMTS 2100 MHz|
|Availability by country||US: July 14, 2011|
|Predecessor||Motorola DROID 2 Global|
|Successor||Motorola DROID 4|
|Form factor||Slate slider smartphone|
|Dimensions||124 mm (4.9 in) H
64 mm (2.5 in) W
13 mm (0.51 in) D
|Weight||169 g (6.0 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)|
|CPU||1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 SoC processor; TI OMAP4430|
|GPU||PowerVR SGX540 @ 304 MHz|
|Memory||512 MB RAM DDR2|
|Storage||16 GB onboard phone, SD card up to 32 GB|
|Removable storage||MicroSD, microSDHC, maximum 32 GB|
|Battery||1540 mAh internal rechargeable removable lithium-ion polymer battery|
|Data inputs||Slide-out full QWERTY keyboard (approx. 7mm per key)|
|Display||960 × 540 px TFT LCD, 4 in (100 mm), 16:9 aspect ratio, qHD|
|Rear camera||8.0-megapixel, autofocus, LED flash, digital zoom, geotagging, 1080p video recording|
|Front camera||VGA (0.3-megapixel) fixed-focus color camera|
|Connectivity||3.5 mm TRRS, Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR, Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n), Micro USB 2.0, Micro HDMI, DLNA, WLAN, web browser, synchronization|
|Other||Virtual QWERTY keyboard (Swype)|
|Hearing aid compatibility||M4/T3|
The Motorola DROID 3 (GSM/UMTS version:Milestone 3) is a smartphone released on July 7, 2011, by Verizon Wireless running the Android 2.3 operating system by Google. It comes with 16 GB of internal storage. The smartphone does not ship with a microSD card. It has a 4-inch qHD display and an 8-megapixel camera capable of recording 1080p video. Unlike the DROID 2, the Motorola DROID 3 features a 5-row QWERTY keyboard, with a dedicated number row. It also has a VGA front-facing camera for video calls. The Droid 3 ships with Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) with Motorola's updated proprietary Motoblur UI. Like other recent Motorola phones, it has a locked bootloader.
DROID 3 received its first OTA system-wide software update on September 30, 2011. A new update, version 5.7.894, leaked on November 6, 2011 and was made available for download. It has not been released as an OTA update. Other versions have leaked, but some were pulled after some phones were rendered unusable after installation. The version listed above is not one that rendered phones useless.
Through January and February, 3 more OTA updates leaked. Versions 5.7.902, 5.7.905 and 5.7.906 were released through January and February 2012. On March 7, 2012, Motorola sent out emails to Motorola Feedback Network members to test a new software update. It has started rolling out as of March 9.
The DROID 3 will not get an update to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
The smartphone includes regular 3G network, Wi-Fi, HDMI output, 1GHz OMAP dual-core processor, 512 MB of RAM, a 4.0-inch qHD (960 x 540) display, 3G mobile hotspot capability, an 8-megapixel camera with 1080p HD video capture and a VGA front-facing camera. The phone comes with Adobe Flash, as well as an HDMI output to an HDTV. The DROID 3 is a global phone, and is distributed by Verizon Wireless in the United States. Motorola DROID 3 was the second dual-core Android handset on Verizon.
- Motorola Droid released November 6, 2009.
- Motorola Droid Pro optimized for business users, released November 18, 2010.
- Motorola Droid X Android 2.3 version hardware released in Mexico.
- Motorola Droid 2 released August 12, 2010.
- Motorola Droid X2 released May 19, 2011.
- Motorola Droid 4 released February 10, 2012.
- List of Android devices
- Galaxy Nexus
- "DROID3 Launching July 7 Via Direct Fill, Hits All Stores July 14".
- "DROID 3 by Motorola". Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "OTA LEAK VZW Droid 3 Update 5.7.894 From Staging Server". Hashcode. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "OTA LEAKS DROID 3 (XT862) 5.7.902 AND 5.7.905 Updates from QA Server". http://forum.xda-developers.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "OTA LEAK DROID 3 (XT862) 5.7.906 Update from Staging Server". http://forum.xda-developers.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "DROID 3 Looking at New Update from Motorola as Well". http://www.droid-life.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Official website
- Motorola Droid 3 Review
- ZDnet - Motorola Droid 3 specs revealed in leaked Verizon document