|Launched||April 1, 1998 (as NHK World TV)
July 23, 2006 to December 6, 2009 (current format)
|Picture format||480i 16:9 (SDTV)
NHK General TV
|New York City
|District of Columbia
|San Francisco, California
|Channel 25 (Analog)
Channel 49.4 (Digital SD)
Channel 49.1 (Digital HD)
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 656|
|GVT (Brazil)||Channel 140|
|Sky Brasil||Channel 114|
|DD Direct+ (India)||Channel 42|
|In Digital (India)||Channel 867|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 355|
|DirecTV (Latin America)||Channel 782 (pay per view)|
|SKY México (Mexico)||Channel 283 (Mexico)|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 83|
|G Sat (Philippines)||Channel 32|
|Digital+ (Spain)||Channel 574|
|Dialog TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 1|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 171|
|Sky (UK and Ireland)||Channel 507 (HD)|
|Freesat (UK)||Channel 209 (HD)|
|Globecast (Australia and New Zealand) (Optus D2 152°E)||12546 V 22500 3/4 (SD)|
|AsiaSat 3S (Asia)||3880 H 27500 3/4|
|Astra 19.2 (Europe)||11,509 V 22000 5/6|
|Intelsat 19 (166°E)||4060 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|Intelsat 20 (68.5°E)||3739 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|Intelsat 21 (58.0°W)||4040 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|SES-3 (103.0°W)||11940 V 20000 3/4 (HD)|
|OSN (Middle East
& North Africa)
|TVB Network Vision (Hong Kong)||Channel 95|
|Nilesat (7.0°W)||12015 H 27500 5/6|
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 656|
|Time Warner Cable (Hawaii, US)||Channel 682 & 1682 (HD)|
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 154|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 341 (HD)|
|Skylife (Korea)||Channel 97 (HD)|
|Minneapolis Public Schools (Minneapolis, USA)||Channel 78|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 69|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel 72 (Analog)
Channel 131 (Digital)
|Parasat Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 315|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel 131 (Digital)|
|Onlime (Russia)||Channel 96|
|GTD Manquehue (Santiago, Chile)||Channel 127 (SD)
Channel 825 (HD)
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 147 & 148|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 793|
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 625 (HD)|
|Comcast (San Francisco, USA)||Channel 202|
|Claro TV Chile||Channel 532 (HD)|
|Bukidnon Z5 Cable (Philippines)||Channel 59|
|Now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 328|
|AT&T U-verse (USA)||Channel 1221 (HD)|
|Telefónica del Sur - Chile||Channel 825 (HD)|
|HyppTV (Malaysia)||Channel 414 (HD)|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 157 (HD)|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||106|
|NHK World App||Android and iOS|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
NHK World is the international broadcasting service of NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai - Japan Broadcasting Corporation), Japan's public broadcaster. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to BBC World News, DW, France 24 and RT, and broadcast through satellite and cable operators throughout the world as well as online and through its mobile apps. The channel is based in Tokyo, Japan.
NHK World provides three services: NHK World Radio Japan, NHK World TV, and NHK World Premium. NHK World also makes most of its programming available through an online version of the television channel.
NHK World Television
NHK commenced international TV broadcasting services for North America and Europe in 1995. On April 1, 1998, NHK World Television started broadcasting. NHK's news and information channel broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is broadcast in English. It began as a news channel in February 2009 using the traditional NHK World logo in their own digital on-screen graphic (DOG). Previously, NHK World TV used the traditional "3 Eggs" logo of NHK. The NHK World DOG in the news program, Newsline, is on the bottom left corner of the television screen. In other programming, the DOG is moved to the top left corner of the television screen. Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV which is 60% owned by NHK with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft and Japanese bank Mizuho. The NHK World DOG is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired.
NHK World Premium
NHK World Premium Television broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese worldwide via satellite as a subscription service. In Europe this service is broadcast under the name JSTV and in the US it is known as TV Japan. The programmes generally do not carry English subtitles.
Programmes on the channel include:
- Cool Japan: Hosted by Shoji Kokami and Risa Stegmayer; some aspects of Japanese customs are considered "cool" by foreigners. Cool Japan is a television show that illustrates the quickly changing Japanese culture and how it is perceived by the international community that have recently made Japan their home.
- J-Melo: A music programme hosted by May J., featuring the latest developments in Japanese music, selections of hit songs, and diverse material from a wide range of different music genres - pop, rock, jazz and classical.
- NHK Newsline: A news programme with updates every hour, covering world events and business-related news, as well as providing global weather forecasts.
- Somewhere Street: A travel program which explores a different city each episode, from a tourist's perspective walking through a city.
- Begin Japanology: A Japanese culture and lifestyle television show.
NHK World Radio Japan (RJ) broadcasts news, information, and entertainment programs focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts. Radio Japan provides two services:
- General Service broadcasts worldwide in Japanese and English
- Regional Service broadcasts to specific geographical zones in 17 languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese. Both services are available on shortwave (SW) as well as online.
RJ SW relay stations
RJ runs a domestic SW relay station
RJ also leases or owns several external relay stations.
- United Kingdom - BBC
- Ascension Island - BBC relay station
- Sri Lanka
- Singapore - BBC relay station
- Canada - Radio Canada International
- Bonaire Island - Radio Netherlands
- French Guiana - Radio France Internationale
NHK World programs and content are available online.
- NHK World - Online news and live HQ stream of NHK World TV
- Radio Japan - live streams, podcasts and archive programming
- Japanese Lessons - Re-edited versions of Basic Japanese for You and Brush Up Your Japanese.
Only a limited number of programs are available online for free.
- Television in Japan
- External program hours - Comparison with some other external radio broadcasters
- International broadcasting in Japan
- Int'l After School
- International broadcasting
- Al Jazeera
- France 24
- Press TV
- Corporate media