This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Launched||April 1, 1998|
|Owned by||NHK (distributed in the U.S. to public television stations by American Public Television)|
|Picture format||1080i 16:9 (HDTV)|
NHK General TV
|KBTC (Seattle-Tacoma)||Channel 28.2|
|KCET (Los Angeles)||Channel 28.3 (As of 2018)|
|KHET (Honolulu)||Channel 11.2|
|KRCB (San Francisco)||Channel 22.3|
|MPT stations (Maryland)||Channel x.4|
|WTVI (Charlotte)||Channel 42.2|
|WUCF (Orlando)||Channel 24.4|
|NJTV stations (New Jersey and New York City)||Channel x.2|
|WYIN (Chicago)||Channel 56.2|
|PBA30 (Atlanta)||Channel 30.2|
|Block Distribution||Channel number varies|
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 656|
|GVT (Brazil)||Channel 140|
|Sky Brasil||Channel 114|
|DD Direct+ (India)||45|
|Zing Digital (India)||Channel 867|
|MNC Vision (Indonesia)||Channel 355|
|DirecTV (Latin America)||
(pay per view)
|SKY México||Channel 283|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 162|
|G Sat (Philippines)||Channel 32|
|Movistar+ (Spain)||Channel 148|
|Dialog TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 1|
|Good TV (Thailand)||Channel 77|
|Freesat (UK)||Channel 209|
|Sky (UK & Ireland)||Channel 507|
|Globecast (Optus D2 152°E) (Australia & New Zealand)||12546 V 22500 3/4|
|AsiaSat 3S (Asia)||3880 H 27500 3/4|
|Astra 19.2 (Europe)||11,509 V 22000 5/6|
|Intelsat 19 (166°E)||4140 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S2 QPSK)|
|Intelsat 20 (68.5°E)||3840 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S2 QPSK)|
|Intelsat 21 (58.0°W)||4160 H 26590 1/2 (DVB-S QPSK)|
|SES-3 (103.0°W)||11940 V 20000 3/4|
|OSN (Middle East & North Africa)||Channel 428|
|TransVision (Indonesia)||Channel 620|
|Nilesat (7.0°W)||12015 H 27500 5/6|
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 642|
|Astra 2G||11224 V 23000 2/3|
|Altice USA||Channel number varies|
|Bukidnon Z5 Cable (Philippines)||Channel 59|
|Cable TV Hong Kong||Channel 126|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 241|
|Claro TV (Chile)||Channel 532|
|Comcast (U.S.)||Channel number varies|
|Cox (U.S.)||Channel number varies|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel 220 (Digital)|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 341|
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 656|
|GTD Manquehue (Chile)||Channel 825|
|Minneapolis Public Schools (U.S.)||Channel 78|
|Onlime (Russia)||Channel 96|
|Parasat Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 323|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel 220 (Digital)|
|Skylife (Korea)||Channel 176|
|Spectrum (U.S.)||Channel number varies|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 812|
|ClearTV (Nepal)||Channel 856|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 793|
|AT&T U-verse (U.S.)||Channel 1379|
|Unifi TV (Malaysia)||Channel 643|
|Now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 328|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||Channel 106|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 157|
|Verizon Fios (U.S.)||Channel number varies|
|myTV Super (Hong Kong)||Channel 707|
|Channel 560 (HD)|
|NHK World-Japan||Watch live (available worldwide)|
|TVPlayer||Watch live (UK only)|
NHK World-Japan is the international broadcasting service of NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai - Japan Broadcasting Corporation), Japan's public broadcaster. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to BBC World News, DW, France 24 and RT, and broadcast through satellite and cable operators throughout the world as well as online and through its mobile apps. The channel is based in Tokyo, Japan.
NHK World-Japan provides three services: NHK World Radio Japan, NHK World-Japan TV, and NHK World Premium. NHK World-Japan also makes most of its programming available through an online version of the television channel.
NHK World was re-branded as NHK World-Japan in April 2018.
NHK World Television
NHK commenced international TV broadcasting services for North America and Europe in 1995. On April 1, 1998, NHK World Television started broadcasting. NHK World Television is a news and information channel that broadcasts internationally via satellite and cable TV. Programming is broadcast in English. It began as a news channel in February 2009 using the traditional NHK World logo in their own digital on-screen graphic (DOG). Previously, NHK World TV used the traditional "3 Eggs" logo of NHK (which is now used by NHK World Premium). The NHK World DOG in the news program, Newsline, is on the bottom left corner of the television screen. In other programming, the DOG is moved to the top left corner of the television screen. Some of the shows are produced by production studio JIB TV which is 60% owned by NHK with the remaining 40% owned by private investors like Microsoft and Japanese bank Mizuho. The NHK World DOG is not used at all when shows produced by JIB TV are aired as a paid programming.
NHK World TV free-to-air broadcasts have been available in high definition by satellite since 2009 and NHK World TV HD currently broadcasts from 105.5°E, 68.5°E, Astra 28.2°E, Astra 19.2°E, 58°W, and 99°W.
NHK World Premium
NHK World Premium Television broadcasts a mixture of news, sports and entertainment in Japanese worldwide via satellite as a subscription service. In Europe this service is broadcast under the name JSTV and in the US it is known as TV Japan. The programmes generally do not carry English subtitles.
Programmes on the channel include:
- Cool Japan: Hosted by Shoji Kokami and Risa Stegmayer; some aspects of Japanese customs are considered "cool" by foreigners. Cool Japan is a television show that illustrates the quickly changing Japanese culture and how it is perceived by the international community that have recently made Japan their home. (now no longer on air on NHK World as of April 2017)
- J-Melo: A music programme hosted by May J., featuring the latest developments in Japanese music, selections of hit songs, and diverse material from a wide range of different music genres - pop, rock, jazz and classical.
- NHK Newsline: A news programme with updates every hour, covering world events and business-related news, as well as providing global weather forecasts.
- Somewhere Street: A travel program which explores a different city each episode, from a tourist's perspective walking through a city.
- Begin Japanology: A Japanese culture and lifestyle television show.
- Japan-easy: An educational programme used to learn basics of the Japanese language using English language. The programme is available in both curriculums, latter known as Japan-easy II. Each curriculum has 24 episodes.
NHK World Radio Japan (RJ) broadcasts news, information, and entertainment programs focusing on Japan and Asia, for a daily total of 65 hours of broadcasts. Radio Japan provides two services:
- General Service broadcasts worldwide in Japanese and English.
- Regional Service broadcasts to specific geographical zones in 17 languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese. Both services are available on shortwave (SW) as well as online.
RJ SW relay stations
RJ runs a domestic SW relay station.
RJ also leases or owns several external relay stations.
- United Kingdom - BBC
- Ascension Island - BBC relay station
- United Arab Emirates
- Sri Lanka - AIR VBS
- Singapore - BBC relay station
- India - AIR
- Canada - Radio Canada International
- Bonaire Island - Radio Netherlands
- French Guiana - Radio France Internationale
NHK World-Japan programs and content are available online.
- NHK World-Japan - online news and live HQ stream of NHK World TV
- Radio Japan - live streams, podcasts and archive programming
- Japanese Lessons - re-edited versions of Basic Japanese for You and Brush Up Your Japanese.
Only a limited number of programs are available online for free.
- NHK is also syndicated on Apple TV version 4 via an app.
- Television in Japan
- International broadcasting in Japan
- Int'l After School
- International news channels
- Free-to-air - free satellite channels
- Corporate media
- Channel Change Notice – New York, NY, U.S.A. Accessed May 11, 2018
- NHK (2018-03-29). "NHK WORLD-JAPAN is New Name for International TV Service of NHK, Effective April 2". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-04-07.
- "New Programs of NHK WORLD-JAPAN for 2018" (PDF). www.nhk.or.jp. 21 February 2018. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Lyngsat - NHK World TV Accessed July 27, 2016
- NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). "TV Programs". NHK WORLD. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "TV Programs - NHK World". NHK. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- What's Japan-easy? - Japan-easy II, Japanese lessons - NHK WORLD - English, retrieved 2017-12-25
- NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation). "FAQ - NHK WORLD - English". NHK WORLD. Archived from the original on 24 February 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2014.