Interior of theatre seen from stage, c. 2009
|Full name||The AXIS at Planet Hollywood|
|Former names||Aladdin Theatre for the Performing Arts (1976-2006)
Theatre for the Performing Arts (2006-07)
Planet Hollywood Theatre for the Performing Arts (2007-12)
PH Live (2012-13)
|Address||3667 Las Vegas Blvd S.
Las Vegas, NV 89109
|Owner||Caesars Entertainment Corporation|
4,600 (residency shows)
|Opened||July 1, 1976|
|Construction cost||$4 million (construction)
$25 million (2000 renovations)
$20 million (2012-13 renovations)
|Miss Universe (1991,1996 and 2012)
Paris By Night (2009-present)
Miss America (2006-13)
Justin Timberlake & Friends (2007-present)
Miss USA (2008-2013)
Britney: Piece of Me (2013-15)
Pitbull: Time of Our Lives (2015)
Jennifer Lopez: Live in Las Vegas (2016)
The AXIS (known as The AXIS™ powered by Monster™ for sponsorship purposes, also referred to as the AXIS Theater) is a mid-sized auditorium located at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on the Las Vegas Strip. The venue hosts a variety of events from charity benefits, concerts and award shows. It is used frequently for the beauty pageants : Miss Universe, Miss America and Miss USA. Since 2007, the auditorium has been the home to Justin Timberlake's annual concert to benefit the Shriners Hospitals for Children. In 2011, it was voted the as one of the "Best Concert Halls & Theaters In Las Vegas". It is the largest theatre of its kind in the United States and the largest theatre on The Strip.
While this location was known as the Aladdin Hotel, the owners decided to create a performing arts center to replace the mildly used golf course. Planning began in 1969, with concepts showing the venue as a separate building. In 1972, the hotel was sold to Sam Diamond, Peter Wevve, Sorkis Wevve and Richard Daly. The center opened in 1976, with a concert by Neil Diamond; whom was paid $750,000 for two shows. During the 1970s and 1980s, the auditorium became a staple on the Strip for many rock and roll acts. During the hotel's financial troubles in the 1990s, the center became its main revenue stream. In 1998, the venue closed while the original Aladdin Hotel was imploded. During the renovation, the center's original structure was removed, incorporating the venue into the casino area of the hotel. In 2000, the venue reopened with a performance by Enrique Iglesias, with a capacity decrease to 7,000. Due to the additions of the MGM Grand Garden Arena and Mandalay Bay Events Center, the venue was used infrequently by music acts. In 2004, the venue made international news when spectators walked out of a Linda Ronstadt concert while expressing support for filmmaker, Michael Moore. In 2010, the center saw a resurgence in use, hosting at least 15 concerts annually.
The theater was the host of the Miss Universe 1991 and 1996, several Miss America pageants, and several Miss USA pageants. On December 19, 2012, it also hosted the Miss Universe 2012 pageant. On June 28, 2012, the auditorium was renamed to the "PH Live at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino". On December 19, 2013 was renamed "The AXIS at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino". It was also announced American entertainment company, Live Nation Entertainment will take over operations and management of the venue from BASE Entertainment.
Britney: Piece of Me
After completing her 2011 tour, rumors circulated of American recording artist, Britney Spears doing a stint in Las Vegas. It was initially believed Spears would be added to the roster for The Colosseum at Caesars Palace. In February 2013, it was reported the Planet Hollywood theatre was a front runner to host the show. It was also believed the newly remodeled SLS Las Vegas, placed a venue bid as well. Local newspaper, Las Vegas Sun confirmed in May 2013, the venue was under renovations exclusively for Spears' show. The article speculated the residency would be announced in June 2013. Spears would begin rehearsals in late September, early October for the show. Spears herself hinted at the residency during her interview with Shape, in May 2013. She stated, "The [Vegas] performances won’t be simple—they’ll be a massive party from start to finish. And to pull this off, I have to be in top condition and running at full speed".
The residency was confirmed on September 17, 2013, during an interview on Good Morning America. For the announcement, an elaborate stunt was staged in the desert surrounding Las Vegas (costing over $100,000 to produce). Over 1,000 Spears look-a-likes were gathered to perform a card routine, that reportedly could be seen from space. Spears' manager, Larry Rudolph, stated the show is not comparable to previous or current Las Vegas stints. He went on to say the show will focus on Spears new material and not rely on her back catalogue. Spears will perform 50 shows per year, in 2014 and 2015. She is reportedly earning $15 million per year, making her the highest paid Vegas act (per show).
The show is described to be "current" and have a "club-like atmosphere" to make the vibe of the casino. The venue closed in late October 2012 to undergo a $20 million renovation with lighting, sound and stage to accommodate the show. The stage will be extended, reducing the venue capacity to 4,600. The show begins December 27, 2013 (three weeks after the release of her eighth studio album). Tickets for the show went on sale September 20, 2013, with prices ranging from $59–$179, less than the typical $99–$250 for shows at Caesars Palace. Commenting on show, Spears stated:
"We wanted the environment to be that way so people could come and have a good time and stand up and feel like they’re in the show with me. I love Vegas. The energy here is really, really good. [...] We are going to have all the works now, water, rain, everything. Every time I do a show, I like to really bring it. I love to put on a show that will really entertain fans. [...] We want the feeling that fans will be in the show with me. We’re going to have a cool set-up for them with a party vibe so they are really there with me. I’m very ready for this. I’m ready physically, mentally definitely. The show will be completely different from what everybody might be expecting. It’s the best project I’ve ever tackled. It couldn’t be more exciting
Baz Halpin will serve as creative and stage director for the show. The show is planned to run 90–100 minutes, featuring 21 of Spears hits alongside song from her forthcoming album. The set will also feature a 360-degree media wall, creating the illusion similar to a planetarium. It will also feature 14 dancers and a four-piece band. Seating for the theatre is reduce to 4,600 specifically for the show. There will be two dance areas, table-service seating and the stage will feature a runway shaped like an inverted anchor. Rudolph went public stating Spears will not be miming the show. He goes on to say that Spears is undergoing vocal coaching to strengthen her voice. Adding, "There might be some numbers where she's full out dancing with a track underneath her, but there won't be any lip-syncing across the board on anything". However, reports surfaced Spears will be using pre-recorded vocals and that hotel staff were given a script when the question of live singing arises. Days after tickets went on sales, figures were reported to be dismal, as only three of the 16 shows placed on sale were sold out. Many pointed to the live vs. miming dilemma as the main issue. Spears' manager indicated Caesars Entertainment only placed ten-percent of tickets for each show on sale. He also stated VIP seating for all 16 shows were sold out within hours. The Huffington Post reports as of September 25, 2013, 70,242 out of 73,600 tickets have been sold. As of 2015, the show was extended twice and is deemed a success for Caesars Entertainment Corporation. Britney's Spears Piece of Me show inspired other mainstream pop artist to follow in her footsteps with a Vegas residency.
Selected list of artists and bands who have performed at the auditorium.
- KISS (band)
- Jethro Tull
- Backstreet Boys
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Bob Seger
- Willie Nelson
- Jimmy Buffett
- Whitney Houston
- Bobby Brown
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Stone Temple Pilots
- Barry Manilow
- Seth MacFarlane
- Linda Ronstadt
- A Perfect Circle
- Justin Bieber
- Nicki Minaj
- Sheryl Crow
- Justin Timberlake
- Alicia Keys
- Christina Aguilera
- Selena Gomez & the Scene
- Tears for Fears
- Frank Zappa
- Mötley Crüe
- One Direction
- Barenaked Ladies
- Bob Dylan
- Iron Maiden
- Enrique Iglesias
- Neil Diamond
- Kelly Clarkson
- Big Time Rush
- Pearl Jam
- Sonny & Cher
- Ricky Martin
- Sarah Brightman
- Stevie Nicks
- Fleetwood Mac
- Mariah Carey
- Olivia Newton-John
- Donna Summer
- Norah Jones
- Dolly Parton
- Meat Loaf
- Bon Jovi
- Depeche Mode
- New Edition
- Lynyrd Skynyrd
- The Fresh Beat Band
- Van Halen
- Alan Parsons
- Paris By Night
- Peter Gabriel
- Britney Spears
- Janet Jackson
- "CAESARS ENTERTAINMENT AND PLANET HOLLYWOOD RESORT & CASINO PARTNER WITH MONSTER TO BRING PURE MONSTER SOUND® AND MONSTER® HEADPHONES TO THE AXIS™ POWERED BY MONSTER™" (Press release). Las Vegas, Nevada: Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. Business Wire. March 2, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Best Concert Halls & Theaters In Las Vegas". CBS Las Vegas. CBS Local Media. 18 February 2011. Archived from the original on 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Travel to a world of wonder and mystery". Aladdin Casino. Aladdin Gaming, LLC. June 2000. Archived from the original on 19 October 2000. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "History of the Aladdin". A2Z Las Vegas. 2012. Archived from the original on 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Patterson, Spencer (26 April 2007). "You had to be there". Las Vegas Weekly. The Greenspun Corporation. Archived from the original on 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Weatherford, Mike (11 August 2000). "New Surroundings". Las Vegas Review-Journal (Stephens Media).
- Katsilometes, John (30 June 2009). "Planet Hollywood Theatre for the Performing Arts is a sleeping beauty". Las Vegas Sun. The Greenspun Corporation. Archived from the original on 8 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Fink, Jerry (19 July 2004). "Aladdin expels Ronstadt after political remarks". Las Vegas Sun (The Greenspun Corporation). Archived from the original on 8 October 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2008.
- "Miss USA coming to Las Vegas". News 3 Las Vegas. 2007-12-13.
- Peters, Mitchell (December 19, 2013). "Live Nation Named Exclusive Booker of Planet Hollywood's AXIS in Las Vegas, Theater for Britney Spears' Residency". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- "Caesars Entertainment Announces Partnership with Live Nation Entertainment; Reveals New Name and Major Transformation for Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino Theater" (Press release). Las Vegas, Nevada: PR Newswire. December 19, 2013. Retrieved December 28, 2013.
- Leach, Robin (17 February 2013). "Exclusive: Is Britney Spears being wooed by a second suitor for a Las Vegas run?". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Leach, Robin (6 May 2013). "Britney Spears fine-tunes details of her residency at Planet Hollywood". Las Vegas Sun. The Greenspun Corporation. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Ross, Asheley (15 May 2013). "Britney Does It Again in the June Issue of SHAPE!". Shape. American Media. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Kindelan, Katie (17 September 2013). "Britney Spears Announces Las Vegas Show Live on ‘GMA’". ABC News. American Broadcasting Company. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Boardman, Madeline (17 September 2013). "Britney Spears' 'Piece Of Me' Las Vegas Residency Finally Confirmed With Singer's 'GMA' Appearance". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Reaney, Patricia (18 September 2013). "Britney Spears announces Las Vegas residency". The Daily Star. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Leach, Robin (23 September 2013). "Britney Spears’ new show secrets revealed — the dance-club theater inside a 360-degree video wall". Las Vegas Sun. The Greenspun Corporation. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Britney Spears won't be lip-syncing at Las Vegas residency, says manager". New Musical Express. IPC Media. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Peters, Mitchell (26 September 2013). "Britney Spears' Manager Larry Rudolph on Vegas Residency Ticket Sales, Lip-Syncing and New Album (Exclusive)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Boardman, Melissa (25 September 2013). "Tickets For Britney Spears' Las Vegas Show Sell Very Quickly". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
|Miss America Venue
2006 - 2013
|Miss USA Venue
2008 - 2013
Baton Rouge River Center
|Miss Universe Venue
Crocus City Hall