London Paris Munich Dusseldorf Istanbul Doha Dubai Beijing Shanghai Singapore Hong Kong Sydney Melbourne Aberdeen Edinburgh Glasgow Belfast Leeds Manchester BirminghamThe Falkland Islands
|Revenue||£382.2 million (2015/16)|
Number of employees
Pinsent Masons LLP is an international law firm which specialises in the Energy, Infrastructure, Financial Services, Real Estate and Advanced Manufacturing and Technology sectors. The firm ranks among the top 100 law firms in the world by turnover.
Pinsent Masons LLP has over 400 partners, a total legal team of around 1,500 and more than 2,500 staff. More than 500 of the firm's staff are based in its international headquarters in the City of London. It has more PLC clients than any law firm except one.
The firm has 21 offices across Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
Pinsent Masons has roots dating back to 1769. The modern day firm is the product of a series of mergers between firms including Pinsent & Co, Masons, Simpson Curtis, Biddle & Co, L'Estrange & Brett and McGrigors. Alumni of the legacy firms include former British Chancellor Alastair Darling.
The firm's recent history has been dominated by a process of internationalisation. Over the past decade it has developed a presence in Beijing (2007), Singapore (2009), Paris (2012), Munich (2012), Istanbul (2013), Brussels (2015), Sydney (2015), Melbourne (2015) and Dusseldorf (2016).
The firm's board is led by Senior Partner Richard Foley and Managing Partner John Cleland. In 2016 the firm announced the appointment of former Secretary of State for International Development Douglas Alexander as a strategic adviser , and appointed its first external Board member in the form of former banker Pauline Egan .
Unlike many firms of its size, the firm professes to specialise in only five global sectors: financial services, advanced manufacturing and technology, energy, real estate and infrastructure. In FY2015/16 each of the sectors accounted for 20% of the firm's turnover, except for the Energy and Real Estate sectors which accounted for 12% each.
Pinsent Masons has won numerous awards for innovation.  In 2012 it was in the vanguard of firms to launch a contract lawyer service, called Vario . It also secured mandates to act as 'sole adviser' to corporates including Balfour Beatty  and E.ON UK Plc . In 2015 the firm acquired the majority stake in Cerico, an online compliance solutions business .  The firm also owns and operates Out-Law.com, a news service aimed at those with an interest in legal and commercial developments.
Pinsent Masons is the highest ranked professional services firm in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index. It is also ranked among The Times Top 50 Workplaces for Women 2016. David Isaac, a partner of the firm, was appointed as Chair of the UK Equality and Human Rights Committee in 2016.
- "Pinsents sees slowdown in growth as turnover up 5.5% to £382m | The Lawyer | Legal News and Jobs | Advancing the business of law". www.thelawyer.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Business, Legal. "Global 100 2015 - Main Table | www.legalbusiness.co.uk". www.legalbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Law firms top rankings - Adviser Rankings Limited". adviser-rankings.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Business, Legal. "2016 Winners | www.legalbusiness.co.uk". www.legalbusiness.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "FT Innovative Lawyers Awards Europe 2015 organised by FT Live". FT Live. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Global Reach". www.pinsentmasons.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Nobody's Darling". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Richard Foley: leadership changes won't shift sector focus at Pinsent Masons". LegalWeek.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "Pinsent Masons recognised among top five inclusive employers in Stonewall Index". www.pinsentmasons.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- "The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2016". Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Asthana, Anushka (2016-04-01). "Nicky Morgan under fire for choosing City lawyer to head equality body". the Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-11.