This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2016)
|Headquarters||St Botolph Building|
|No. of offices||60+|
|No. of lawyers||2,600 |
|Major practice areas||Insurance, Energy, Trade & Commodities, Infrastructure and Transport|
|Revenue||£650 million (2021-22)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Clyde & Co is a global law firm headquartered in London, United Kingdom. The firm is one of the top 10 largest law firms in the City of London and has the largest dispute resolution practice of any UK law firm. It employs 2,600 legal professionals and 5,000 total staff. In 2021–22, Clyde & Co's revenue was £650 million.
Clyde & Co was founded by Scottish lawyer Richard Arthur Clyde. He came from a distinguished legal family, which in the last century has produced two Lords of the Court of Session in Scotland. Richard Clyde's nephew, the late Lord Clyde, was a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary from 1996 to 2001.
The earliest record of Dick Clyde as a solicitor in independent practice dates to 1928. In 1933, he left his position as an assistant solicitor with a local firm and set up his own office in Lime Street in the heart of London's insurance district. He managed to attract instructions from Lloyd's underwriters and insurance companies, and within a short time went into partnership with Maurice Hill, a member of the founding family of the Liverpool solicitors, Hill Dickinson and a descendant of Sir Rowland Hill, who had established the penny post.
Michael Payton, who joined the firm in 1966, assumed the post of Senior Partner in 1984, and was named chairman in 2013, with James Burns elected to take his place as Senior Partner. In the next three years, more than fifteen new offices were added on five continents including: Düsseldorf, Miami, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Melbourne, and Edinburgh. James Burns was named Management Partner of the Year by Legal Business in April 2016.
In October 2016, Simon Konsta was elected Senior Partner, having previously been the firm's Head of Insurance since 2013 and a member of its Global Management Board since 2011. In July 2021, Carolena Gordon assumed the title of Senior Partner.
Reflecting the firm's growing international outlook, in 1981 Clyde & Co opened its first overseas office in Hong Kong. Many others followed in the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and America.
In 2011, the firm announced mergers with Canadian firm Nicholl Paskell-Mede and UK firm Barlow Lyde & Gilbert (BLG), not to be confused with Canadian law firm Borden Ladner Gervais . The merger with Barlow Lyde & Gilbert was reported as the largest merger between two UK law firms with an expected turnover of over £300 million.
In September 2015, the firm merged with leading Scottish firm Simpson & Marwick.
In recent years, the firm has opened new offices in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Beijing, Madrid, Atlanta, South Africa, Brisbane, Miami, Düsseldorf, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Mexico City, Los Angeles, Orange County, Hamburg, Munich, Denver, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, among others.
In 2022, the firm announced that it would merge with BLM (law firm). The combined firm will go by the Clyde & Co name, have 2,600 lawyers in 60 offices, and have an annual revenue of more than £700 million. 
In 2010, while working in Tanzania, former partner Krista Bates blew the whistle on an African lawyer working in association with Clyde & Co. who was involved in bribery and money laundering. After being suspended and expelled from the partnership in 2011, she sued, claiming whistle-blower status. Clyde & Co. argued that Bates couldn’t claim whistle-blower status because she was a partner in the business, not an employed worker. In May 2014, the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom ruled in favor of Bates, stating that LLP members are “workers” for the purpose of whistleblowing protection, granting them the same benefits as workers. After the ruling, in June 2014, Bates joined the African airline Fastjet as its general counsel.
In September 2020, in connection with the investigations into $4.5 billion missing from 1MDB, a $330 million account held by Clyde & Co was named in a civil forfeiture case filed by US Department of Justice prosecutors, who alleged the account was connected to a failed joint project with Venezuela's PDVSA which was established by 1MDB and a company established by Tarek Obaid, PetroSaudi.
- "All Offices". www.clydeco.com.
- "Clyde & Co's £700m merger with BLM goes live". www.globallegalpost.com.
- "Clydes reports 13% revenue increase for 2015-16 as PEP nudges up to new high". LegalWeek.com.
- "Clyde & Co clocks up 24th straight year of revenue growth but PEP dips". Globallegalpost.com.
- "London, The St Botolph Building : Clyde & Co". www.clydeco.com. Retrieved 2022-11-29.
- "Clyde & Co LLP, UK 2023". Chambers and Partners.
- "Clyde & Co Senior Partner James Burns awarded Management Partner of the year : Clyde & Co (en)". www.clydeco.com.
- "Clyde & Co senior partner James Burns : Clyde & Co (en)". www.clydeco.com.
- "Simon Konsta : Clyde & Co (en)". www.clydeco.com. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "About us : Clyde & Co (en)". www.clydeco.com.
- "Clydes and Barlows to vote on merger deal by end of July". LegalWeek.com.
- "Clyde & Co to open Tripoli office". Financial Times.
- "Clyde & Co Launches in Scotland With Simpson & Marwick merger : Clyde & Co (en)". www.clydeco.com.
- "Clydes seals double Australia launch with team hire from Links ally Allens". LegalWeek.com.
- "Clyde & Co continues Americas push with Mexico launch". LegalWeek.com.
- "Clyde & Co opens ninth US office with Los Angeles launch". LegalWeek.com.
- "Clydes to launch in Hamburg with four-partner team from Ince". Law.com International.
- "Clyde & Co to form 2,600 lawyer shop in merger with UK firm BLM". reuters.com.
- Chellel, Kit. "Law Firm Partner Wins Whistle-Blower Case at U.K. Supreme Court". Bloomberg.
- Lawyer, The (May 21, 2014). "Supreme Court: LLP members are protected by whistle-blowing legislation". The Lawyer | Legal insight, benchmarking data and jobs.
- Newman, Alex. "Ex-Clyde & Co whistleblower partner joins low-cost airline as GC". Law.com.
- Davies, Harry (September 18, 2020). US moves to seize $330m of alleged 1MDB assets held by UK law firm . Department of Justice says money in Clyde & Co’s account allegedly linked to Malaysian fraud scandal. The Guardian. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- "Who helps Russian oligarchs secretly buy jets, yachts and other luxury playthings? - ICIJ". 2022-04-11. Retrieved 2022-04-12.
- Clyde & Co official site - Clyde & Co