|Headquarters||Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|No. of offices||Three|
|Date founded||1990 (Glasgow)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Semple Fraser LLP was a Scottish commercial law firm, with over 150 staff, including 21 partners, and offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester. It was founded in Glasgow in 1990 and collapsed in 2013.
The firm was formed in 1990 and began with 20 staff based in an office in Glasgow city centre. The founding partners – Alister Fraser, Paul Haniford, Simon Etchells (now Managing Partner)and Angus MacRae – took advantage of the recession in the property industry in the 1990s to double the space they took and grow the business. The Edinburgh office opened in 1998. The firm became an LLP in June 2004 and a multinational partnership in July 2005. Semple Fraser opened their first English based office, in Manchester, in 2009.
According to the legal referral site Legal 500, Semple Fraser's real estate team is a first-tier firm, as is their environment group. Chambers, another legal directory, states that Semple Fraser has "the best EU and UK waste law team in Scotland". Vincent Brown, head of the firm's waste and environment groups, is author of the legal textbook Environmental Pollution Law and Commercial Transactions, which analyses the impact of environmental legislation on commercial transactions.
Main practice areas
Semple Fraser had the following main practice areas:
- Banking & Finance
- Commercial litigation
- Corporate & Commercial
- Corporate Recovery & Insolvency
- Environment & Pollution
- Intellectual Property
- Property Finance
- Real Estate
- "No simple answer to collapse of Semple Fraser". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- Di Matteo, Larry (2016). Comparative Contract Law: British and American Perspectives. Oxford University Press. p. 393. ISBN 9780198728733.
- "Multinational status for Semple Fraser". The Journal of the Law Society of Scotland. 19 September 2005.
- "Semple Fraser bids for UK deals with first English office". The Scotsman. 12 October 2009.
- "Growth means Semple Fraser on the move". Manchester Evening News. 28 October 2008.
- Legal 500 2010 Archived 4 April 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Chambers UK 2011
- "Review of Environmental Pollution Law and Commercial Transactions". The Journal of the Law Society of Scotland. 1 May 2004.
|This article about a company of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|