|Manufacturer||Cervecería Nacional Dominicana|
|Introduced||1935 in Santiago, Dominican Republic|
|Alcohol by volume||5.0%|
Presidente is a brand of Pilsner beer that is owned and produced by Cervecería Nacional Dominicana (CND) at several breweries in the Dominican Republic. In addition to domestic consumption in the Dominican Republic, Presidente is exported to the United States, Panama, Honduras, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Andorra, Aruba, Cuba, Curaçao, Antigua, Belize, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Turks and Caicos, The Bahamas, Saint Martin, British Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Varieties include Presidente (5.0% ABV) and Presidente Light (4.3 ABV.)
In 1929, U.S. industrialist Charles H. Wanzer with other business partners founded the brewery and started brewing the iconic Dominican beer, Presidente, in 1935. The beer was named in honor of then Dominican president Rafael Leónidas Trujillo. Presidente was initially launched as a dark beer and acquired limited success, yet in the 1960s Presidente was transformed into the pilsner that is recognized today. In 1986, the brewery was acquired by Dominican cigarette company Grupo León Jimenes. More recently, in 2012, AmBev acquired majority ownership from Grupo León Jimenes, and is looking to expand Presidente’s market.
Some of Presidente's export partners include the University of Miami Hurricanes, the Miami Marlins, and the Miami Heat. In 2007, Presidente was the official beer of the University of Miami Hurricanes, NCAA football team as well as the Orange Bowl in Miami. In 2009, Presidente became the Miami Heat's official imported beer. In 2012, Presidente became an official sponsor of the Miami Marlins. It was even mentioned in 2012 by former Marlins Manager, Ozzie Guillén, as a cure after being defeated 15-5 versus the Boston Red Sox:
“Seven Presidentes and a sleeping pill and be ready for the job tomorrow.”
Every year since 2007, Presidente has also hosted Festival Presidente de Música Latina (Presidente Festival of Latin Music), which is a three-day event in October that showcases Dominican and International musical talent. It is held at the Estadio Olímpico Félix Sánchez of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Howley, Victoria (27 March 2012). "UPDATE 1-AB InBev, Heineken lead race for Dominican brewer-sources". reuters.com. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Trust". presidente-beer.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Geller, Martinne (16 April 2012). "UPDATE 4-AmBev to buy control of Dominican brewer CND". reuters.com. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "History". presidente-beer.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Dominican Presidente beer boosts agreement with Miami Heat". DominicanToday.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Marlins Events". MLB.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Ozzie Guillén will recover from blowout with booze and pills". USAToday.com. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Taste". presidente-beer.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.