Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner (UK Parliament constituency)
|Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner|
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||71,706 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Ruislip, Northwood, Pinner, Harefield, Eastcote, Hatch End, Ickenham, North Hillingdon|
|Member of Parliament||David Simmonds (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Ruislip-Northwood, Harrow West|
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies and created this constituency for General Election 2010. In this election it was won by the previous member for Ruislip, Northwood.
- Predecessor seat
This seat is at its core the successor to Ruislip-Northwood which had an unbroken history as a Conservative safe seat with non-marginal majorities running from its 1950 creation. This Conservative success was only bolstered by the addition of generally highly Conservative, highly affluent Pinner in 2010.
- Political history
The 2015 result was greater than the previous majority, having seen a major fall in the vote of the Liberal Democrats, of 11.7% less than national swing against the party of 15.7%, and made the seat the 57th safest of the Conservative Party's 331 seats by percentage of majority. Since 2015, the Conservative vote share has been slowly declining, while the Liberal Democrat vote share has been steadily rising.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in North London, the Boundary Commission for England has created a new seat of Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner to deal with population changes. It includes parts of the Harrow West constituency and much of the former Ruislip-Northwood constituency.
This constituency has electoral wards:
- Eastcote and East Ruislip, Harefield, Ickenham, Northwood, Northwood Hills, West Ruislip in the London Borough of Hillingdon
- Hatch End, Pinner, Pinner South in the London Borough of Harrow
The only other three-place constituency name in England is Normanton, Pontefract, and Castleford in Yorkshire.
The constituency consists of Census Output Areas of two local government districts with similar characteristics: a working population whose income is higher than the national average and lower than average reliance upon social housing. At the end of 2012 the unemployment rate in the constituency stood as 1.6% of the population claiming jobseekers allowance, compared to the regional average of 3.6%. This was the third lowest in the capital behind Richmond Park and Kingston & Surbiton. The borough contributing to the bulk of the seat's statistics are given first.
- A low for the capital 22.7/23.5% of the two boroughs' populations were without a car
- 19.1%/16.8 of the population without qualifications and a high 28%/36.8% at the 2011 census had a level 4 qualifications or above.
In terms of tenure 62.9%/65.2% of homes are owned outright or on a mortgage as at the 2011 census across the two London Boroughs.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Jonathan Banks||7,986||15.1||+8.0|
|Animal Welfare||Femy Amin||325||0.6||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Alexander Cunliffe||3,813||7.1||+2.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Josh Dixon||2,537||5.0||-11.6|
|National Liberal||Sockalingam Yogalingam||166||0.3||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Thomas Papworth||8,345||16.6|
|National Front||Ian Edward||899||1.8|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "UKPollingReport Election Guide 2010 » Ruislip Northwood and Pinner". ukpollingreport.co.uk. Archived from the original on 12 April 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Conservative Members of Parliament 2015". UK Political.info. Archived from the original on 8 June 2017. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Proposals for Parliamentary Constituencies in Some of the North London Boroughs" (Press release). Boundary Commission for England. 29 July 2002. Archived from the original on 12 June 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Local statistics - Office for National Statistics". neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 11 February 2003. Retrieved 13 February 2022.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency Archived 2017-08-02 at the Wayback Machine The Guardian
- "2011 census interactive maps". Archived from the original on 29 January 2016.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 2)
- "Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Archived from the original on 12 August 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Commons Briefing Paper 8749. General Election 2019: results and analysis" (PDF). London: House of Commons Library. 28 January 2020. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 November 2021. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
- "Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Archived from the original on 29 November 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- "Commons Briefing Paper 7979. General Election 2017: results and analysis" (PDF) (Second ed.). House of Commons Library. 29 January 2019 [7 April 2018]. Archived (PDF) from the original on 12 November 2019.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "London Borough of Hillingdon - Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner constituency results 2015". www.hillingdon.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 18 August 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". Archived from the original on 29 November 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "UKPollingReport Election Guide 2010 » Ruislip Northwood and Pinner". ukpollingreport.co.uk. Archived from the original on 8 May 2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Candidates for Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner". YourNextMP. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "BBC News - Election 2010 - Constituency - Ruislip, Northwood & Pinner". news.bbc.co.uk. Archived from the original on 6 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)