Erith and Thamesmead (UK Parliament constituency)
|Erith and Thamesmead|
for the House of Commons
|Electorate||69,718 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Erith, Plumstead and Thamesmead|
|Member of Parliament||Abena Oppong-Asare (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Woolwich and Erith & Crayford|
John Austin was the MP for this constituency from its creation for the 1997 general election until he stepped down at the 2010 election. The seat was then held for Labour by a local activist Teresa Pearce, who defeated the Conservative candidate Colin Bloom, a councillor for Bickley ward in Bromley.
2010 Labour selection controversy
In April 2009, an investigation took place into the tampering of ballot boxes and abuse of the postal vote system used for the selection of the prospective Labour candidate for Erith and Thamesmead. A rerun of the candidate selection ballot resulted in victory for Teresa Pearce.
The cross-border constituency of Erith and Thamesmead currently stretches from Plumstead, and Abbey Wood in the west, to Lesnes Heath, and Erith in the east. The Conservatives' strongest wards are in the Bexley part of the seat, in particular Northumberland Heath ward. The remaining wards from Bexley and Greenwich have traditionally seen more support for the Labour Party, in both local and national elections. There is a significant demographic divide within the seat, with Northumberland Heath being over 85% white, and Erith and Belvedere are also predominantly white. However, Thamesmead and Plumstead have much more diverse populations, where no single ethnic group has more than half of the population.
The eastern part of the seat includes significant areas of industry along the River Thames, including Crossness Sewage Treatment Works.
1997–2010: The London Borough of Bexley wards of Belvedere, Erith, Northumberland Heath, and Thamesmead East, and the London Borough of Greenwich wards of Abbey Wood, Eynsham, Glyndon, Lakedale, St Nicholas, and Thamesmead Moorings.
2010–present: The London Borough of Bexley wards of Belvedere, Erith, Lesnes Abbey, Northumberland Heath, and Thamesmead East, and the London Borough of Greenwich wards of Abbey Wood, Plumstead, and Thamesmead Moorings.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in South London, and as a consequence of changes to ward boundaries, the Boundary Commission for England recommended that parts of Glyndon ward and Colyers ward be transferred from Erith and Thamesmead to the constituencies of Greenwich and Woolwich and Bexleyheath and Crayford respectively; that part of Plumstead ward be transferred to Erith and Thamesmead from Eltham; and that parts of Lesnes Abbey ward, Nothumberland Heath ward and Erith ward be transferred to Erith and Thamesmead from Bexleyheath and Crayford.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Brexit Party||Tom Bright||2,246||5.4||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Sam Webber||1,984||4.8||+3.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Waddington||750||1.7||-0.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Waddington||972||2.3||−9.7|
|English Democrat||Graham Moore||188||0.4||−0.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Alex Cunliffe||5,116||12.0||−0.8|
|English Democrat||Laurence Williams||465||1.1||New|
Elections in the 2000s
|Conservative||Chris R. Bromby||8,983||23.9||−1.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Steven T. Toole||5,088||13.5||+2.1|
|UKIP||Barrie R. Thomas||1,477||3.9||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Barry Kempton||3,800||11.4||−0.6|
|Socialist Labour||Hardev Singh Dhillon||1,180||3.5||New|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Alex H.C. Grigg||5,001||12.0|
|Referendum||John E. Flunder||1,394||3.4|
|BNP||Victor J. Dooley||718||1.7|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- Kite, Melissa (18 April 2009). "Labour ballot box tampering row deepens – Telegraph". London: telegraph.co.uk. Archived from the original on 21 April 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "E" (part 2)
- "Erith & Thamesmead Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Erith & Thamesmead parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7979/CBP-7979.pdf] House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2010-05-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)