Dulwich and West Norwood (UK Parliament constituency)
|Dulwich and West Norwood|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Dulwich and West Norwood in Greater London.
|Electorate||71,523 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Herne Hill, Dulwich, Brixton, Gipsy Hill, West Norwood|
|Member of parliament||Helen Hayes (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Dulwich and Norwood|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
1997–2010: The London Borough of Southwark wards of Alleyn, Bellenden, College, Lyndhurst, Ruskin, and Rye, and the London Borough of Lambeth wards of Gipsy Hill, Herne Hill, Knight's Hill, and Thurlow Park.
2010–present: The London Borough of Southwark wards of College, East Dulwich, and Village, and the London Borough of Lambeth wards of Coldharbour, Gipsy Hill, Herne Hill, and Thurlow Park.
Situated in south east London, the seat is traversed by the South Circular Road, on one side of which there is Dulwich Village, and on the other side is Angell Town and Coldharbour.
The seat is ethnically diverse: around 25% of the population are from an Afro-Caribbean background. In addition, 33% of the total population live in social housing, and roughly 10% are lone parents. The constituency has the 15th highest proportion of people with a degree in the country, at 47.6%.
The Labour Party majorities won have been in the safe order of more than 15% since the seat's 1997 creation. The runner-up party in four of the six elections to date has been the Conservative Party, otherwise the Liberal Democrats.
Before 1997 the forerunner seats of Norwood and Dulwich were won by Labour candidates, the latter being Tessa Jowell; the last other party win in either was the 1987 win in the Dulwich seat of Gerald Francis Bowden, Conservative, by 0.5% of the vote, having won a 4.9% majority in the 1983 landslide.
Members of Parliament
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the former seats of Dulwich and Norwood. It was represented from its creation until 2015 by the former Secretary of State for Culture (2001–2007), Tessa Jowell.
Elections in the 2010s
|Conservative||Rachel Wolf ||10,940||19.5||-3.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Gail Kent||4,475||8.0||-1.8|
|Liberal Democrat||James Barber||5,055||9.8||-17.3|
|All People's Party||Amadu Kanumansa||62||0.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Mitchell||13,096||27.2||+6.1|
Elections of the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Mitchell||10,252||24.4||+9.2|
|Socialist Labour||Amanda Rose||149||0.4||N/A|
|For Integrity And Trust In Government||Judy Weleminsky||57||0.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Caroline Pidgeon||5,805||15.2||+4.4|
|Socialist Alliance||Brian Kelly||839||2.2||N/A|
Elections of the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Susan Kramer||4,916||10.8||N/A|
|Rainbow Dream Ticket||David Goodman||173||0.4||N/A|
|Rizz Party||Captain Rizz||38||0.1||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Greater London
- Lambeth local elections
- Southwark local elections
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 3)
- "Dulwich & West Norwood parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=137&RPID=26942154 23Jul15
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/election2010/results/constituency/b45.stm. Missing or empty
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Politics Resources (Election results from 1922 onwards)
- Electoral Calculus (Election results from 1955 onwards)