|Born||13 August 1966 (age 49)
|Residence||Seattle, Washington, U.S.|
|Occupation||Venture Partner at Seattle’s Madrona Venture Group|
|Website||Corporate Bio, Blog|
S. Somasegar (born 13 August 1966 in Pondicherry, India) was the Corporate Vice President of the Developer Division at Microsoft Corporation. Nov 2015 was his end of 27 years long career association with Microsoft. He has now joined as Venture Partner at Seattle’s Madrona Venture Group. Until September 2011, he held the title Senior Vice President. In September 2011 Microsoft abolished that title for all its employees. Somasegar was responsible for engineering and marketing for developer tools and services, programming languages and runtimes designed for a broad base of software developers and development teams, including the Visual Studio and Expression families of products, .NET Framework, and Team Foundation Server. Somasegar also owns developer evangelism efforts spanning the full array of Microsoft platforms. His team also owned MSDN and TechNet online properties to enable a deep connection with the developer and IT professional audiences. In addition, Somasegar was responsible for the Server and Tools Business Global Development Centers in China, India and Israel and is the executive sponsor for the India Development Center and the Israel Research and Development Center for all of Microsoft.
In 1986, Somasegar received a bachelor's degree in electronics and communication engineering from College of Engineering, Guindy of Anna University, in Chennai, India. In 1988, he received an M.S. in computer engineering from Louisiana State University. He was working toward a Ph.D. in computer engineering at the State University of New York at Buffalo when he joined Microsoft.
Somasegar joined Microsoft in 1989 and contributed to eight releases of Windows before heading up the Developer Division.
- Josey Puliyenthuruthel (April 19, 2008). "S. Somasegar: Breathing easy in the fast lane". LiveMint.com. HT Media.
- "Microsoft Corporate Bio". June 8, 2010.
- "The mysterious disappearance of the Microsoft Senior Vice Presidents". ZDNet. September 16, 2011.
- Darryl K. Taft (2005-01-31). "The Importance of Microsoft Being Transparent". eWeek.
- "Interview with S. Somasegar, Sr. VP, Microsoft Corp". Rediff. May 4, 2009.
- "2008 Asian American Engineer of the Year Bio". Chinese Institute of Engineers – USA. 2008.
- "Dr. S. Somasegar is a technology guru at Microsoft". Diversity/Careers. June–July 2008.
- "S. Somasegar". The Times of India.
- "Interview with S Somasegar, Corporate VP, Microsoft Corp". November 9, 2006.
- "Honorary Doctorate Speechless!". The Smart Techie. December 2006.
- "The Hindu Business Line covers Microsoft India Development Center".
- "2008 Engineers Week: Asian American Engineer of the Year Awards". Chinese Institute of Engineers – USA. January 7, 2008.
- Stephen Ibaraki (June 9, 2006). "Interview with Microsoft's S. "Soma" Somasegar". InformIT.
- Ex-Microsoft exec Soma Somasegar now at Madrona "SeattleTimes" 18 Nov 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S. Somasegar.|