This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Silverstripe CMS administrator interface version 4.0
|Type||Content management system|
Silverstripe CMS is a free and open source Content Management System (CMS) and Framework for creating and maintaining websites and web applications. It provides an out of the box web-based administration panel that enables users to make modifications to parts of the website, which includes a WYSIWYG website editor. The core of the software is Silverstripe Framework, a PHP Web application framework.
Silverstripe CMS is released under the terms of the BSD License.
Silverstripe CMS separates the roles of:
- content authors (who get a rich (AJAX) web-based user interface that omits technical jargon); and
This contrasts with CMS products which allow technical website development tasks to be performed within a GUI, and also contrasts with programming frameworks which offer no out-of-the-box content authoring application. The Silverstripe CMS approach allegedly removes complexity for content authors, and offers more flexibility to developers.
The core of Silverstripe CMS is named Silverstripe Framework. As with the rest of the platform, it is written in PHP (5.3), and takes advantage of its object-oriented design capabilities such as name-spacing. The Silverstripe Framework (formerly referred to as "Sapphire") provides website developers a framework to build and extend websites based on modern programming techniques including the model-view-controller (MVC like, the model doesn't include the ability to notify the view of updates) pattern and object-relational mapper.
Silverstripe CMS generates markup using a custom template-language based on W3C HTML5 that offers simple placeholders and conditional logic. Silverstripe CMS is extensible through modules, widgets, themes and code customization.
Notable features of the Silverstripe CMS include:
- Out-of-the-box template, supporting responsive design (works on smartphones, tablets, and desktop computers)
- An extensible web application interface
- Rich-text editing based on a modified version of TinyMCE
- Quick embedding of videos and other resources from websites like YouTube, slideshare, etc. (using oEmbed)
- Drag-and-drop tree-based navigation structure
- Custom output markup and table-free default styles (including HTML5 and mobile support)
- Work-flow management: Draft/Published separation through content staging, document revision control/rollback with 'compare' functionality
- Configurable security/permissions model (role-based)
- Data object model, database generation through object-relational mapping, suite of customizable data input controls.
- asset management, image resizing, drag&drop images from OS desktop to upload.
- Multiple templates per page
- Search engine friendly URLs, metadata management, XML site map generation
- Full text search and RSS feeds
- Optimizations for heavy loads (full and part-template caching)
- Internationalization/Languages: Silverstripe CMS supports multiple-language content. UTF-8 and the internationalization of character sets are supported. The CMS is available in many languages, including English, French, German, Spanish, and Chinese.
- Hierarchical URLs
- Cross-platform: OS (Linux, Windows, Mac), Web server (Apache, IIS), Database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server fully supported; SQLite and Oracle Database have limited support.)
Notable features of upcoming releases of Silverstripe CMS include:
- Additional administration UI (e.g. web-interface based installation of modules, widgets)
- Site-wide widgets
Common CMS features not currently available in Silverstripe CMS include:
- In-place page editing
- Web interface based installation of modules, widgets or themes
- Web interface based customization of themes
- Automated cache management/ORM refresh
Modules, widgets, and themes
Modules extend the core functionality of Silverstripe CMS. Some existing modules include: Blog, Advanced Workflow Management, eCommerce, Forum, LDAP/OpenID authentication. Modules are available from the Silverstripe CMS modules repository, which as of January 2016, lists over 1400 modules.
Silverstripe CMS Widgets are small pieces of functionality that can be drag-and-dropped into Silverstripe CMS modules (notably the blog module). Examples of widgets include: tag clouds, Flickr photos, or word of the day, although widgets are a relatively less-used aspect of the platform. As of August 2012, there are 96 widgets.
The Silverstripe CMS themes directory provides a number of community-contributed, freely available themes (84 as of August 2012).
Modules, widgets, and themes are all available as free downloads under the BSD license, and the majority of them are community contributed.
- Apache v1.3.19+, Lighttpd, Hiawatha, Cherokee, or Microsoft IIS 7.x+ (A URL Rewriter is required. As of 2.4.0 IIS 7 URL rewriting is supported out of the box)
- MySQL v5.0.X+, Microsoft SQL Server 2008+, PostgreSQL 8.3+, SQLite3 (community maintained) and Oracle Database (experimental)
- PHP 5.3.3+ with MySQL, GD Graphics Library and zlib support
Silverstripe CMS is released under the terms of the BSD License. Documentation is available for CMS users and website developers. An online demonstration of the CMS is available as an interactive demo. Two technical reference books on Silverstripe CMS are available in English and one in German.
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Winner Packtpub Most Promising CMS Award 2008, $2000 prize. Then was First Runner up, "Best Overall CMS" in 2009. Also Pact Publishing CMS Awards finalist in 2007.
- Winner in New Zealand Open Source Awards for October 2008 and in 2010.
- Most promising finalists in the 2007 Open Source CMS Awards
- Finalists in the New Zealand Open Source Awards for October 2007
- Hi-tech Awards - Finalist, Emerging Technology Company of the Year in 2017
- Hi-tech Awards - Winner, Best Technology Solution for the Public Sector in 2016
- ALGIM Conference - Winner, Best All Round Exhibitor in 2015 and in 2014
- Internet Industry Awards 2009 - The Positive Societal Impact Award for “The Lowdown” website. This site was also a finalist in 2008 for the TUANZ Innovation Awards.
- ALGIM Web Award - Winner, "Best Redevelopment Website, People’s Choice" for the Gisborne District Council website in 2009.
- 2009 World Summit Awards - Winner for the National Broadband Map, a site created for the State Services Commission
- 11th Annual Wellington Gold Awards - Finalist in 2009 and 2007
- 2008 ComputerWorld Excellence Awards - Finalist, "Innovative Use of IT" 
Reviews and articles
Version 3.0 (latest as of November 2012)
- SSBits (10 September 2012)
- SilverStripe Review (3 April 2009)
- Microsoft Case Study (17 March 2009)
- ReadWriteWeb, 14 September 2007
- Interview on New Zealand Television Show, 1 May 2007, (Video)
- Hiveminds Magazine, 15 March 2007
- "Stable Download". silverstripe.org. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "BSD License".
- "SilverStripe CMS - Our Philosophy". 2011-01-19. Archived from the original on 2011-01-16. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "SilverStripe server requirements". 2014-12-03. Archived from the original on 2014-11-28. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "English SilverStripe Book". 2009-10-10. Archived from the original on 2009-10-08. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "SilverStripe - Das umfassende Handbuch (450 page book about SilverStripe, in German)". 2009-02-25. Retrieved 2009-02-25.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-08-30. Retrieved 2008-10-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "SilverStripe Takes Home NZ Open-Source Award". Archived from the original on 2008-10-14.
- "2007 Open Source CMS Award Finalists". Archived from the original on 2007-10-27.
- "Previous Finalists and Winners | nzosa". Archived from the original on 2010-11-24.
- "Silverstripe CMS - Silverstripe".
- SilverStripe 3 Review
- "SilverStripe - 2.3 series Review". 2009-04-03. Archived from the original on 2010-02-06. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- "SilverStripe-Windows interoperability creates new markets and fresh opportunities for open source company". Microsoft.com. Retrieved 2020-01-20.
- SilverStripe - Open Source CMS Has Support From Google
- Close Up, Democratic Technology
- SilverStripe CMS is proof that open-source works
- Silverstripe CMS open source project and community website
- Online demonstration website
- Official help documentation
- Community forums
- Developer documentation wiki
- Public bug tracker, feature requests, patches, roadmap, changelog/timeline
- Silverstripe website
- Silverstripe CMS and Sapphire CMF API documentation