|Politeknik Singapura (Malay)
சிங்கப்பூர் பாலிடெக்னிக் (Tamil)
|Motto||Berkhidmat Dengan Keahlian|
|Principal||Soh Wai Wah (with effect 1 Oct 2016)|
|Approx. 1 500|
|Students||Approx 15 900|
|Location||Dover, Queenstown, Singapore|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Education|
Singapore Polytechnic (Abbreviation: SP) is the first polytechnic established in Singapore. It was founded on 27 October 1954 to provide studies, training and research in technology, science, commerce and the arts. The former campus was originally located at Prince Edward Road and was relocated to its present-day location at Dover next to Dover MRT Station in 1978. As an industry-oriented alternative to a broader based high school education, polytechnic graduates in Singapore are sought after for work or many continue to complete university degrees. In contrast to polytechnics in the United States and UK, polytechnics in Singapore admit majority of its students after middle school which is after 10 years of formal education. Diplomas in a specialized area of study, for example Biomedical Science, is awarded after completing 3 years of studies.
2010 saw Singapore Polytechnic's 50th graduation ceremony and 150,000th graduate. To date, over 189,000 students have graduated from Singapore Polytechnic.
Academic Schools and Departments
- School of Architecture and the Built Environment (ABE)
- SP Business School (SB)
- School of Chemical and Life Sciences (CLS)
- School of Communication, Arts and Social Sciences (CASS)
- SP Design School (SD)
- School of Digital Media and Infocomm Technology (DMIT)
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- School of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (MAE)
- School of Mathematics and Science (MS)
- Singapore Maritime Academy (SMA)
- Department of Educational Development (EDU)
- 6 foodcourts
- Long John Silver's
- Starbucks Coffee
- Ya Kun Kaya
- Food Haven Restaurant
- Koufu Food Court
- Cafe @ Moberly
- Llao Llao
- FRANK Store by OCBC
- Campus Mart
- Sports Complex, with a full-length football pitch and running track
- Swimming complex
- 4 Tennis Courts
- 3 Badminton Courts
- 1 Gym
- 3 Basketball Courts
The Sports Hub, completed in 2015 has 12 badminton courts, 2 Basketball courts, 4 Squash Courts, 1 Multipurpose Hall and 2 Volleyball Courts. Other facilities include an external rock climbing wall and 2 rooftop Tennis Courts.
Moberly is the oldest block of SP. Once a British army barracks, the building has been refurbished into a recreational hub. It contains seven pool tables (3 on level 1, four on level 2), jamming studios, karaoke rooms, a cafe and a mini museum.
- The alumni clubhouse, Singapore Polytechnic Graduates Guild (SPGG), is next to the campus, and contains a bowling alley, swimming pool, pool room, a gym and a restaurant.
- Kindergarten within the campus for children of staff.
- Two libraries: the Main Library and the Hilltop Library.
- Aerohub: A four-storey building that houses an aircraft hangar, laboratories and a Research & Development centre. There are 4 aircraft in the hangar: Hawker HS125-700A, King Air B90, A4SU Super Skyhawk and Bell UH-1H Helicopter.
Awards and certifications
The Polytechnic has been awarded the Singapore Quality Class as well as the ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certifications. It has also won the Singapore Public Service Award for Organisational Excellence and the People Developer and Family Friendly Awards.
SP received the President's Award for the Environment in 2010. Some of the key green initiatives by SP over the years included spearheading the adoption of Marina Reservoir to keep it clean and organising the Singapore International Water Festival to engage youths on environmental and water issues.
Most recently, SP won the South West Environment and Community (ECo) Award (Community Category). The award recognises exemplar efforts of organisations that have contributed to environmental and community sustainability in the district.
Scholarships and Outstanding Talent Programme
Currently, SP offers the following scholarships
- SP Scholarship
- SP Engineering Scholarship
- SP-ITE Scholarship Scheme
- SP Music & Arts Scholarship
- SP Sports Scholarship
Singapore Polytechnic Outstanding Talent (SPOT) Programme
SPOT is a talent development and enrichment programme. All SP Scholars will automatically be placed under this programme. Other eligible students will be invited to join SPOT based on their academic results, CCA performance and lecturers' recommendation.
Early Admissions Exercise (EAE)
EAE is an admissions exercise that allows students to apply and receive conditional offers for admission to polytechnic based on their aptitudes and interests before taking their O-Level exams. This will replace the Direct Polytechnic Admissions (DPA) Exercise and Joint Polytechnic Special Admissions Exercise (JPSAE).
Tanya Chua - 3-time Best Female Vocalist Golden Melody Award-winning singer-songwriter
Shih Choon Fong - ex-President of National University of Singapore and Founding President of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Pek Jin Shen - Hip hop artist and songwriter
- "MHA announces appointment of new Commissioner of Prisons from Oct 1". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Oldest poly celebrates its 150,000th grad". Asiaone.com. 2010-05-19. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Full time Diplomas of Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Continuing Education Programmes of Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Academic Schools Singapore Polytechnic". Singapore Polytechnic.
- "Singapore Polytechnic - Dining and Retail Facilities". Singapore Polytechnic. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Singapore Polytechnic - Sports Facilities". Singapore Polytechnic. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Singapore Polytechnic - Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering Facilities".
- "President's Award for the Environment".