Sydney/J.A. Douglas McCurdy Airport
|Sydney/J.A. Douglas McCurdy Airport|
|IATA: YQY – ICAO: CYQY
– WMO: 71707
|Operator||Sydney Airport Authority|
|Serves||Cape Breton Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|
|Location||Reserve Mines, Nova Scotia|
|Time zone||AST (UTC−04:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||ADT (UTC−03:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||203 ft / 62 m|
Sydney/J.A. Douglas McCurdy Airport, (IATA: YQY, ICAO: CYQY), is a regional airport located within the Cape Breton Regional Municipality, 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) east northeast of Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, in the community of Reserve Mines.
The airport is served by Air Canada Express, WestJet, WestJet Encore and Air St. Pierre. Nav Canada classifies Sydney as an airport of entry by and as such is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). CBSA officers at this airport can handle aircraft with no more than 44 passengers. However, they can handle up to 200 if the aircraft is unloaded in stages.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Canada Express||Halifax, Toronto–Pearson |
|Air Saint-Pierre||Seasonal: Saint-Pierre|
|Exploits Valley Air Services||Deer Lake Regional Airport|
Infrastructure and operations
There are two runways in Sydney, one with ILS-I capabilities and the other served by RNAV. The runways are generally aligned in the east-west and north-south direction and are served by two taxiways. The airport's passenger terminal was built in the 1960s and has been renovated through the years, while the apron is capable of handling three passenger aircraft at once. The airport also has a tarmac for general aviation. Three hangar facilities are also on site.
City Wide Taxi provides service at the airport with arrangements made in advance. The area's hotels do not provide shuttle service between the airport and the hotels.
Avis, Budget and National/Enterprise car rental agencies are located in the air terminal building.
On July 27, 2009, the Sydney Airport was renamed after John Alexander Douglas McCurdy. McCurdy was a Canadian aviation pioneer who first flew the Silver Dart, holder of Canada's first pilot's licence, and Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia from 1947 to 1952.
Misidentification for Sydney, Australia
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 24 July 2014 to 0901Z 18 September 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation
- Air Saint-Pierre international flights
- Sydney Airport renaming goes ahead although 50 of 70 planes were grounded in Moncton
- Flying Dutchmen land in wrong Sydney, Erin Pottie, Cape Breton Post, August 10, 2010.
- Holiday couple sent to the wrong Sydney, Bild, July 28, 2010.
- Sydney Airport Authority, Official Website
- Page about this airport on COPA's Places to Fly airport directory
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Sydney Airport from Nav Canada as available.