Thunder Bay International Airport
|Thunder Bay International Airport
Thunder Bay Airport
|IATA: YQT – ICAO: CYQT
– WMO: 71749
|Operator||Thunder Bay International Airports Authority|
|Serves||Thunder Bay, Ontario|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−05:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||654 ft / 199 m|
Thunder Bay Airport or Thunder Bay International Airport, (IATA: YQT, ICAO: CYQT), is an airport in the Canadian city of Thunder Bay, Ontario. With 108,130 aircraft movements in 2012, it was the 5th busiest airport in Ontario and the 16th busiest airport in Canada. During the same year, more than 761,000 passengers went through the airport.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport currently can handle aircraft such as the Boeing 737-600 series which seats 119 passengers.
Originally named the Fort William Municipal Airport, construction began in 1938, partly as a means of relieving unemployment.
During World War II, the Thunder Bay (then Fort William) airport was home to No. 2 Elementary Flying Training School, part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The airport was also used as a base for test flights of fighter aircraft being built at the nearby Canadian Car and Foundry factory.
Before the two cities of Fort William and Port Arthur merged, it was called the Canadian Lakehead Airport.
The airport went under major renovations in 1994 with the construction of a new airport terminal building, including two jetways, a large food court, a gift shop and an arcade.
The airport was handed over from the government in 1997 to the Thunder Bay International Airports Authority, a non-profit organization. The airport handled over 600,000 passengers in 2006 for the first time since 2001.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Canada Express||Toronto–Pearson, Winnipeg|
|Air Transat||Seasonal: Punta Cana|
|Bearskin Airlines||Dryden, Fort Frances, Kenora, North Bay, Red Lake, Sault Ste. Marie, Sioux Lookout, Sudbury, Timmins, Winnipeg|
|Canadian North||Charter: Montréal-Trudeau|
|Nakina Air Service||Nakina/Greenstone|
|North Star Air||Sioux Lookout|
|Porter Airlines||Toronto–Billy Bishop|
|Sunwing Airlines||Seasonal: Varadero, Cancun|
|Superior Airways||Charter: Red Lake|
|Wasaya Airways||Sioux Lookout|
|WestJet Encore||Toronto–Pearson, Winnipeg|
|Cargojet Airways operated by First Air||Winnipeg|
|Thunder Airlines||On-Demand Charter|
|Canjet||Year-Round & Seasonal Charter|
|Air Bravo||On-Demand Charter|
- CHC Helicopter for Ornge (Ontario Air Ambulance)
- Thunder Airlines for Ornge
- Confederation College School of Aviation – Aviation Centre of Excellence
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services - seasonal firefighting aircraft base
Parking and transportation
The parking lot contains 100 short-term spaces, 300 long-term spaces, curbside taxi service and courtesy cars. Thunder Bay Transit bus route #3 Airport serves the airport terminal and the nearby Aviation Centre of Excellence.
The Thunder Bay International Airport has a 2 storey terminal building.
Thunder Bay's runways are mainly handling small or larger turboprop aircraft, but they are able to handle narrow-body jet aircraft like the Boeing 737.
The airport also has 2 FBO's one being MaintAir Aviation Services Ltd. for Shell Aviation and Thunder Bay Flight Refuelling for Esso Avitat.
- Airport Divestiture Status Report
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 24 July 2014 to 0901Z 18 September 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA towers
- Thunder Bay International Airports Authority Inc — 2012 Annual Report
- * Tronrud, Thorold J; Epp, Ernest A.; and others. (1995). Thunder Bay: From Rivalry to Unity. Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society, pp96. ISBN 0-920119-22-0.
- Thunder Bay International Airport – Annual Report 2006, p.7
- Media related to Thunder Bay International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Thunder Bay Flight Information
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Thunder Bay International Airport from Nav Canada as available.