|Developer(s)||IDM Computer Solutions, Inc|
15.1 (Linux/ Mac OS X(Intel)) / 10 February 2017,
28 April 2015
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows,
Mac OS X
UltraEdit is a commercial text editor for Microsoft Windows, Linux and OS X created in 1994 by the founder of IDM Computer Solutions Inc., Ian D. Mead. The editor contains tools for programmers, including macros, configurable syntax highlighting, code folding, file type conversions, project management, regular expressions for search-and-replace, a column-edit mode, remote editing of files via FTP, interfaces for APIs or command lines of choice, and more. Files can be browsed and edited in tabs, and it also supports Unicode and hex editing mode.
UltraEdit-32 was renamed to UltraEdit in version 14.00. Version 22.2 was the first native 64-bit version of the text editor.
An installation of UltraEdit takes about 100 MB of disk space.
HTML editing features include:
- Integration with CSE HTML Validator for offline HTML, XHTML and CSS checking
- HTML toolbar preconfigured for popular functions and HTML tags
- Customize tags in HTML toolbar or create new tags and buttons
UltraEdit is Shareware: It can be evaluated for free for 30 or 15 days, depending on usage. After expiration of this period, the application will work only with a regular license key.
UltraEdit also includes UltraCompare Lite.
- Facilitates the opening and editing of large files, up to 4GB and greater in size
- Native 64-bit architecture
- Multi-caret editing and multi-select
- Document map navigation
- Column (block) mode editing
- Regular expression find and replace
- Find/Replace in Files
- Extensible code highlighting, with 'wordfiles' already available for many languages
- Code folding and hierarchical function listing
- Beautify and reformat source code
- XML editing features, such as XML tree view, reformatting and validation
- Auto-closing XML and HTML tags
- Smart templates for code completion
- Editor themes
- Integrated FTP, SSH, telnet
- Hex editing
- Log file polling
- File/data sorting
- File encryption and decryption
- Project management
- Automation via macros and scripts
- Integrated file compare
It is a variant with additional support for IDE editing. It also enhances file handling, file editing, HTML editing over UltraEdit.
IDE features include: Workspace Manager, project builder (interactive and batch), resource editor, project converter, class viewer, native compiler support, debugger with integrated debugging (via WinDBG).
File handling features include: Project Manager, Git/SVN/CVS version control.
File editing features include: Tabbed Output Window for script commands, intelligent auto complete tooltip.
HTML editing features include: Integrated PHP, Ruby support.
In a review published on June 4, 2004 PC Magazine, the author said that UltraEdit v10.0 is the editor's favorite text editor. In a review published on July 9, 2006 Softpedia wrote UltraEdit contains plenty of features useful for all types of users and that it considered the program "excellent".
- Linux text editor | UltraEdit for Linux
- "Mac Text Editor | UltraEdit for Mac". 2016.
Multi-platform: UltraEdit is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Even if you've got one of those distros nobody's heard of, there's a good chance we may be able to help you.
- "UltraEdit-32 features". IDM Computer Solutions. Retrieved 2007-08-17.
- UltraEdit Text Editor Features Retrieved on 2009-07-22.
- UltraEdit vs. UEStudio
- Edward Mendelson. "UltraEdit-32 10.0 Review & Rating". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- Ioana Butnariu. "UltraEdit-32 Review - UltraEdit-32 Download". Softpedia. Retrieved 2010-10-24.