Discovery Networks Northern Europe
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
|Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm|
|Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guernsey, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City|
(President and Managing Director)
It holds the responsibility for overseeing Discovery Networks International channels in Ireland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the UK.
It started out with the launch of the Discovery Channel in Europe in 1989 and was for a long time a part of Discovery Networks Europe (DNE). In mid-2007, DNE was split into two separate branches, Discovery Networks UK and Discovery Network EMEA, both headquartered in London. Again in 2011, Discovery Networks Europe was split into to key branches Discovery Networks Western Europe (DNWE) and Discovery Networks CEEMEA (Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa). DNEW is located in London and DNCEMEA in Warsaw.
In November 2014, Discovery Networks Western Europe was rebranded as Discovery Networks Northern Europe. Its previous Discovery Networks Western Europe served 30 different countries including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, the Netherlands and other territories, comprising 18 brands.
It was previously called Discovery Networks Western Europe.
- The Discovery Channel has been the number one factual channel throughout its 20 year history in Europe. Discovery Networks Western Europe (DNWE) comprises previous operations Discovery Networks UK, Discovery Networks Nordic, Discovery Networks Benelux, Discovery Networks Europe and Discovery Networks Deutschland.
- Discovery Channel has been the number one pay TV factual channel in the UK since its first International launch (April 1989). There are now thirteen channel brands in the UK.
- Discovery Channel is the number one International channel for men 25-40 in France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Flanders.
The network operates in eleven European languages: a pan-European English speaking channel and channels in Danish, Dutch, English for UK, Ireland and Iceland, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
- "Discovery Networks International realigns European structure to unlock new growth opportunities". Discovery Communications. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Discovery splits UK and EMEA operations". Digital Spy. January 24, 2007.
- [dead link]
- Discovery Networks Western Europe at Discovery Communications