Gallagher's Steak House
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (March 2014)|
|Street address||228 West 52nd Street, in the Theater District, Manhattan|
|City||New York City|
Gallagher's Steakhouse, a steakhouse restaurant located at 228 W 52nd St in the Theater District in Manhattan in New York City, was founded in November 1927 by Helen Gallagher, a former Ziegfeld girl, and wife of Edward Gallagher (1873–1929),  and Jack Solomon, a colorful gambler with a large loyal following from the sporting element. These were the days of Prohibition and Gallagher’s was one of the first speakeasy gathering places for gamblers, sports figures, and stars of Broadway. There is now a location in the New York-New York Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. 
In 1933 when FDR took office he fulfilled his promise to end Prohibition. With liquor now legal, Gallagher and Solomon brought a new style of restaurant: Broadway’s first steak house. This is where the first “New York Strip” steak was served. With just the basics and an informal atmosphere of speakeasy and American country inn. The walls were covered with photos of the stars of Broadway, Hollywood, business, politics, and athletes past and present. Even the stars of Belmont Park and Aqueduct Racetrack at Jamaica are honored. 
When Helen died, Jack Solomon married Irene Hayes, who was also a former Ziegfeld girl and one of the top florists in Manhattan whose business is still known as Irene Hayes Wadley & Smythe. After a number of years at the helm, as the sole owner of Gallaghers, Hayes decided to sell and chose Jerome Brody, the restaurateur responsible for the Rainbow Room and the Four Seasons. 
In 2008, the menu at Gallaghers was changed by the new management. Most important among the changes was the removal and exclusion of Porterhouse steak, which once 'graced' the frozen windows of the meat locker that greets customers as they enter the restaurant. To some of Gallaghers' old customers, removal of the Porterhouse has caused alarm and dissatisfaction, since it had been a staple of the restaurant since its opening and is considered the finest cut of steak, also originating in New York.
The Trophy Room is a space for business meetings, private dining or events. Located on the second floor it features a bar, real wood-paneled walls and an extensive photo collection. The Trophy Room accommodates 110 seated, 200 reception style, 100 theater style, and the entire restaurant 400 seated.
- Gallaghers Steak House, New York City
- Gallagher's Steak House, Las Vegas
- Gallagher's Steak House, Denver
- Gallagher's Steak House, Newark Airport
- Gallagher's Steak House, Atlantic City's Resorts International Hotel & Casino
- Gallagher's Steak House, Tampa
- "Gallaghers - New York | West 50s Restaurant Menus and Reviews". Zagat.com. Retrieved 2013-10-10.
- Gallaghers Steakhouse
- NYC VP Dining Choices, Gallaghers
- Our Restaurant
- NY Times Review
- NY Site
- Monday, July 8, 2013, by Greg Morabito (2013-07-08). "86-Year-Old Gallagher's Closes for a Spruce-Up - Renovation Report - Eater NY". Ny.eater.com. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Gallaghers Steakhouse Reopening on February 4 | midtown". Zagat. 2014-01-24. Retrieved 2014-01-28.