Keith R. Porter
Keith Roberts Porter (1912–1997) was a Canadian cell biologist. He did pioneering biology research using electron microscopy of cells, such as work on the 9 + 2 microtubule structure in the axoneme of cilia. Porter also contributed to the development of other experimental methods for cell culture and nuclear transplantation. He also was responsible for naming the endoplasmic reticulum.
Keith Porter was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on June 11, 1912, and became a citizen of the United States in 1947. He was an undergraduate at Acadia University and a graduate student at Harvard University. Starting in the late 1930s he did research at The Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research. Porter helped found the American Society for Cell Biology and the Journal of Cell Biology. The Keith R. Porter Endowment for Cell Biology, founded in 1981, supports an annual Keith R. Porter Lecture at the conference of American Society for Cell Biology.
Porter moved to Harvard University in 1961 and to the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1968. He retired in 1983 and did post-retirement work at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County and the University of Pennsylvania. UMBC's Keith R. Porter Core Imaging Facility is dedicated to Porter.
In 1970, together with Albert Claude and George E. Palade, Porter was awarded the Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize from Columbia University. Porter's colleagues Albert Claude, Christian de Duve and George E. Palade were awarded a Nobel Prize in 1974 "for describing the structure and function of organelles in biological cells", work that Porter is also well known for.
- 1964 Gairdner Foundation International Award
- 1970 Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize of Columbia University
- 1971 Dickson Prize in Science
- 1971 Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize
- 1976 National Medal of Science
- 1981 E. B. Wilson Medal
- Cooper, Geoffrey M. (2000). "Ch. 1: Section: Electron Microscopy". The Cell — A Molecular Approach (2nd ed.). Sunderland MA: Sinauer Associates. ISBN 0-87893-106-6.
- Porter KR, Claude A, Fullam EF (1945). "A Study of Tissue Culture Cells by Electron Microscopy". J Exp Med. 81 (3): 233–246. doi:10.1084/jem.81.3.233. PMC 2135493. PMID 19871454.
- Keith R. Porter Endowment for Cell Biology
- Erica Westly (October 6, 2008). "No Nobel for You: Top 10 Nobel Snubs". Scientific American.
- Moberg CL (March 1995). "The electron microscope enters the realm of the intact cell". J. Exp. Med. 181 (3): 831–7. doi:10.1084/jem.181.3.831. PMC 2191944. PMID 7869045.
- Moberg CL (1996). "Keith Porter and the Founding of the Tissue Culture Association". In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 32: 663–9. doi:10.1007/BF02724051.
- Satir P (July 1997). "Keith Roberts Porter: 1912–1997". J. Cell Biol. 138 (2): 223–4. doi:10.1083/jcb.138.2.223. PMC 2138189. PMID 9273349.
- Keith Porter biography and images, Image & Video Library of The American Society for Cell Biology
- The Official Site of Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize
- Keith R. Porter Papers (1938–1993) at the University of Colorado at Boulder