Milkybar is a white chocolate confection that is produced by Nestlé and sold in Australia, New Zealand, India, Ireland, Kuwait, South Africa, Spain, and the United Kingdom. It sold under the name Galak in Ecuador, Brazil, and the rest of Continental Europe. Nestlé have produced white chocolate since the 1930s, and started using the brand Galak in 1967. In many European countries a version with puffed rice is also available. In some markets (notably Australia and New Zealand), Milkybar does not contain cocoa butter, and is not labelled as chocolate.
The Milkybar Kid has been used in television advertising promoting Nestlé Milkybar in the countries where it is sold. The Milkybar Kid is a blond, spectacle-wearing young child, usually dressed as a cowboy, whose catchphrase is "The Milkybars are on me!". Until 8 year old Hinetaapora Short of Rotorua was selected in 2010 they had always been boys. The advertisements usually take place in a Wild West setting. Both live-action and animated ads have been produced.
In the UK, Australia and New Zealand the advertisements were originally accompanied by a jingle extolling "the goodness that's in Milky Bar". In more recent revivals of the campaign, the jingle has been revised to refer to "the good taste that's in Milkybar". The pronunciation of the company's name has also changed from "nessul" to the Swiss "ness-lay".
The Milkybar Kid made his debut in 1961, and has been played by a number of actors. The first was Terry Brooks; others include John Cornelius and Simon Desborough. In 2007, William Ray took over the role.
Galak was promoted using the 1971 French animated series Oum le Dauphin Blanc (Zoom the White Dolphin), with its characters appearing on packaging and in commercials. In commercials, two children, Yann and Marina, and the white dolphin Oum typically overcome villains such as pirates or sharks. Nestlé terminated their use of this licence in 2003, though the likeness of Oum remained on some stocks sold in 2004, which led the series' owners to sue for royalties.
- Food Intolerance Network - Confectionery
- "Rotorua girl named Milkybar kid". The Daily Post. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- Australian Nestle's Milky Bar commercial, early 1960s
- "Other Chocolate Bars". About Our Brands. Nestlé UK. Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Daily Mail - How the Milkybar kid became a drunk... and a showjumper, a musician and a gardener
- "The 100 Greatest TV Ads". BFI Film & TV Database. British Film Institute. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "How advertising is tapping into our love of all things nostalgic". The Press (Newsquest Media Group). 2007-10-10. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Glaize, Frédéric (2006-01-10). "Galak : reliquat de royalties pour Oum". Vox PI (in French) (MEYER & Partenaires). Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Nestlé Milkybar (United Kingdom)