Owen County, Kentucky
|Owen County, Kentucky|
Owen County courthouse in Owenton
Location in the state of Kentucky
Kentucky's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Abraham Owen|
|• Total||354 sq mi (917 km2)|
|• Land||351 sq mi (909 km2)|
|• Water||3.1 sq mi (8 km2), 0.9%|
|• Density||31/sq mi (12/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Owen County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,841. Its county seat is Owenton. The county is named for Colonel Abraham Owen. It is a prohibition or dry county, with the exception of a winery (Elk Creek Vineyards) that is authorized to sell its product to the public, and limited sales within the incorporated city limits of Owenton.
- Carroll County (northwest)
- Gallatin County (northeast)
- Grant County (east)
- Scott County (southeast)
- Franklin County (southwest)
- Henry County (west)
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,841 people, 4,296 households, and 3,023 families residing in the county. The population density was 30.9 per square mile (11.9 /km2). There were 5,634 housing units at an average density of 16.05 per square mile (6.20 /km2). The racial makeup of the county was 96.6% White, 0.8% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 1.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. 2.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,296 households out of which 28.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.4% were married couples living together, 9.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.6% were non-families. 25.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.00.
The age distribution was 21.9% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 20 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 29.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40.1 years. The population distribution for males was 49.7% and for females was 50.3%.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,719 and the median income for a family was $59,242. Males had a median income of $41,563 versus $31,016 for females. The per capita income for the county was $22,633. About 12.8% of families and 15.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.4% of those under age 18 and 13.90% of those age 65 or over.
Located in downtown Owenton, the Owen County Public Library was established in 1946 by the Owen County Woman's Club. It was housed in the front parlor of Elizabeth Holbrook Thomas's home on the same corner where the present library, built in 1973, now stands.
The library's collection comprises more than 25,000 items, including a genealogy collection. Among the services it provides are printing, fax sending, notaries, and access to a public meeting room.
In popular culture
Owen County serves as the opening setting in the 1992 gay novel by Paul Russell Boys of Life where it is referred to simply as Owen. Though majority of the novel is set in early 1980s New York City, various points of interest within Owen and nearby areas such as Christian County are mentioned and referenced throughout the story.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- The Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society, Volume 1. Kentucky State Historical Society. 1903. p. 36.
- "Wet & Dry Counties in Kentucky" (PDF). Kentucky Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Retrieved March 21, 2007.[dead link]
- "Voters approve alcohol by the drink in Owenton". Owenton News Herald. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics 2010: Owen County, Kentucky". United States Census. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: Owen County, Kentucky". United States Census. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Russell, Paul (1991). Boys of Life. New York, New York: Dutton. ISBN 0-525-93327-1.
- Northern Kentucky Views - Owen County Historical Images and Documents