Sion Panvel Highway
|Sion Panvel Expressway
शीव पनवेल महामार्ग
|Length:||25 km (16 mi)|
|West end:||Sion, Mumbai Suburban|
|East end:||Mumbai Pune Expressway at Kalamboli junction near Panvel, Navi Mumbai.|
|States:||Maharashtra in India|
|Districts:||Mumbai Suburban district, Mumbai City, Raigad, Thane|
|Major cities:||Mumbai, Navi Mumbai|
The Sion Panvel Expressway is a 25 km Indian highway connecting the Sion to Panvel via Navi Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra. It is one of the busiest and most important roads in the Mumbai Metropolitan Area and connects Mumbai with the city of Pune. National Highway 4 and Mumbai Pune Expressway meet the eastern end of Sion Panvel Highway at Kalamboli junction near Panvel. The highway is also used by vehicles traveling towards Mumbai from Konkan and Goa.
As of September 2014, stretch of the highway east of Vashi Bridge within the city of Navi Mumbai has been fully widened and concretized to 10 lanes (5 lanes in each direction). New fyovers have been built at Sanpada railway station, Nerul, Uran phata and Kamothe. A toll plaza built between Taloja and Kamothe for recovering the construction cost is currently not operational after the Maharashtra state government defered decision on toll collection.
Following major highways cross the Sion Panvel Highway
- Mumbai Pune Expressway and National Highway 4 at Kalamboli junction
- Thane–Belapur road at Turbhe
- Palm Beach Marg at Vashi
- Mankhurd-Ghatkopar link road at Mankhurd
- Eastern Express Highway at Sion
Sion Panvel Highway serves the following nodes of the city of Navi Mumbai.
- New Panvel
- CBD Belapur
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Sion-Panvel Highway intersects following important roads.
- Palm Beach Marg
- Thane Belapur Road
- National Highway 4 (India)
- V.N. Purav Marg
- Eastern Express Highway
- Eastern Freeway (Mumbai)
- Mankhurd-Ghatkopar link road
- Amra Marg
Widening and Concretization
- The stretch of road from BARC Junction to Kalamboli Junction is about 25 kilometres in length.
- Total Project cost Rs. 825 Crore (Based on DSR of 2006-2007).
- Base Construction cost Rs. 675 Crores
The project consists of 
- Widening of the existing bituminous road to 5+5 lanes with concrete pavements.
- Central 3+3 lanes to be access controlled.
- The Service roads to be provided whenever required for about 6.29 kilometres.
- Provision of signal free passage for through traffic
- 3 new Flyovers at Kamothe Junction, Sanpada Junction & Uran Junction.
- Duplication of flyovers at Taloja and Chembur Mankhurd Link Road junctions.
- Pedestrian crossing Underpasses at 10 locations.
- Foot over Bridges at 3 locations.
- Geometric Junction improvements as per standards.
- Toll plaza at Vashi to be upgraded to 8+8 lanes, Toll fee at prescribed rates (current rate)and Toll period to be quoted by BOT Contractor.
- Landscaping / Beautification of entire project corridor including Median plantation, Road side plantation, Landscaping and Beautification below flyovers.
- Renovation / upgradation of existing flyovers, structures.
- Electrification of entire project corridor.
- Operation and Maintenance of Project Facilities up to the end of toll period quoted by BOT Contractor.
- Katkurwar, Saurabh. (2012-01-06) Sion-Panvel highway to be 10-lane in 3 yrs. Mid-day.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.
- "Sion-Panvel highway cuts travel time". DNAIndia.com. Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "Ajit Pawar vetoes Sion-Panvel toll naka, asks CIDCO to foot the bill". MumbaiMirror.com. Retrieved 2014-09-22. The Toll collection has started and now the people travelling from Mumbai to Pune and vice versa have to pay 3 tolls. For a car it would be 195+35+35 = Rs265 one side
- From May 2014, zip down a 10-lane Sion-Panvel highway - Mumbai - DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-06.