Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation
|यतो धर्मस्ततो जय
(Where there is Righteousness, there shall be Victory)
|Municipal Corporation Building, Mumbai|
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) is the civic body that governs the city of Mumbai, Maharashtra and is India's richest municipal organization. The BMC's annual budget is more than that of some of the small states of India. Established under the Bombay Municipal Corporation Act 1888, it is responsible for the civic infrastructure and administration of the city and some suburbs of Mumbai. In 2014 Trishna Vishwasrao became the first female corporator to be leader of the Corporation's house.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation is headed by a Municipal commissioner, an IAS officer. The commissioner wields the executive power of the house. A quinquennial election is held to elect corporators to power. The corporators are responsible for overseeing that their constituencies have the basic civic infrastructure in place, and that there is no lacuna on the part of the authorities. The mayor is the head of the house, who is usually from the majority party. As of June 2008, all administrative business in the BMC is conducted in Marathi.
|Mayor||Sunil Prabhu||March 9, 2012|
|Municipal Commissioner||Sitaram Kunte|
|Police Commissioner||Rakesh Maria||February 2014|
As of 2009, The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation's legislature, also known as the Corporation Council, is composed of 227 members.
Corporation Election 2012
|S.No.||Party Name||Alliance||Party flag or symbol||Number of Corporators|
|01||Shiv Sena (SS)||NDA||75|
|02||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)||NDA||31|
|03||Indian National Congress (INC)||UPA||52|
|04||Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)||UPA||13|
|05||Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS)||28|
|07||Samajwadi Party (SP)||09|
- Municipal Corporation Building, Mumbai
- Coat of arms of Mumbai
- Administrative divisions of Mumbai
- Mayor of Mumbai
- Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai
- Sheriff of Mumbai
- Praja: Online Complaint Management System for BMC
- "BMC to open green channel for octroi". Financialexpress.com. 2007-09-03. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Gold & beautiful, News - Cover Story". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "BMC-Act-1888.pdf". Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- TNN, June 25, 2008, 04.28am IST (2008-06-25). "From today, BMC will do business only in Marathi". The Times of India. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.|