Acharya Dev Vrat
|Acharya Dev Vrat|
|Governor of Himachal Pradesh|
Assumed office |
12 August 2015
|Preceded by||Kalyan Singh|
18 January 1959|
Samalkha, Punjab, India
(now in Haryana, India)
Acharya Dev Vrat (born 18 January 1959) is the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, serving since August 2015. He is an Arya Samaj pracharak and served previously as the principal of a Gurukul in Kurukshetra, Haryana. Being the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, he is also the ex-officio Chancellor of state universities of Himachal Pradesh.
He has been the principal of the Gurukul since 1981. The institution is run by Arya Pratinidhi Sabha, Rohtak, without any financial aid from the government,
He has served as a mentor, guardian, principal and warden of Gurukul kurukshetra since 1980s. He was known for his honesty, discipline, punctuality in his daily life.
Achrya Dr. Dev Vrat completed his post-graduation in Hindi from Panjab University in 1984. He has been working for a pollution free environment. He has been closely associated with campaigns against female foeticide and the "Beti Padhao-Beti Bacahao" campaign. He has travelled to Europe and South East Asia for propagating Indian culture
Acahrya Dev Vrat said on his appointment day "Good gurukuls would be opened in Himachal so that the future generation could learn Indian culture and feel honored."
About Ramdev's role in his appointment, he had said: "He has always been a guide and his blessings are with me. Gurukul is my family as I have spent 34 years of my life there. I feel it was the result of my hard work that has given me this opportunity."
As a first administrative act of its kind in the history of Himachal Pradesh, Acharya Dev Vrat has initiated steps for directly taking up social issues including drug abuse and intolerance. The governor held a meeting with senior bureaucrats from the state administration to monitor the steps taken to check these social evils on 3 November 2015. As per the Constitution of India, the Governor of a state acts through the Council of Ministers who are the elected representatives of the people of the state.
- "R N Kovind appointed governor of Bihar, Acharya Dev Vrat named Himachal governor". The Times of India. 8 August 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Himachal Pradesh Guv-designate Acharya Dev Vrat hails BJP for choosing 'non-political' person". DNA. 8 August 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Ram Nath Kovind, Acharya Dev Vrat appointed Bihar,Himachal Governors". Business Standard. 8 August 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Ramdev follower Acharya Devvrat is HP Governor". The Tribune. 9 August 2015. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "HP Governor takes up direct governance; holds meeting with senior bureaucrats". Daily Post India. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.[permanent dead link]