Epic (web browser)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||July 15, 2010|
March 30, 2020
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
Epic is a privacy-centric web browser. It was developed by Hidden Reflex (a software product company founded by Alok Bhardwaj, based in Washington DC and Bangalore, India) from Chromium source code. Epic is always in "private browsing mode". Exiting the browser deletes all browser data. Even during browsing as little as possible is stored. Epic developers removed all Google tracking code, binaries from the chromium source code to compile a clean executable and blocks other companies from tracking users.
Epic's default configuration takes a proactive approach to ensuring that session data (such as cookies, history, and cache) are removed upon exit. The browser includes a proxy service that can be enabled at the user's discretion, and is automatically enabled when using a search engine. Other features, such as preferring SSL connections and always sending a Do Not Track header, further advance privacy.
Ad and user activity trackers are blocked by default on Epic browser which prevents any user tracking to occur. The browser also blocks cryptocurrency miners from running on the users system. The browsers' fingerprinting protection blocks access to image canvas, font canvas, and audio context data. WebRTC IP Address Leaking is blocked by default as well.
The Epic Proxy service can relay connections from user through 8 countries including United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands, India, and Singapore. The company claims it to be encrypted and routes DNS requests through it as well.
Supplementary services found in the Chromium browser that send data to external servers, such as address bar suggestion and installation tracking, are removed in Epic to reduce the scope of potential data leakage.
- "Epic Privacy Browser 80.0.3987.87 for Windows". softpedia.com. Retrieved 2020-04-11.
- "Epic Browser Terms & Conditions". Hidden Reflex. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Epic Privacy Browser". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Epic Privacy Browser Features. Epic is a secure chromium-based web browser that protects your privacy online". www.epicbrowser.com. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "Custom Chrome Browser Promises More Privacy, No Tracking".
- Sharma, Ojas (15 Jul 2010). "Indian Startup Launches Epic Web Browser". PC World. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- PRWeb/Hidden Reflex. "Hidden Reflex Launches New Epic Privacy Browser To Confront Growing Anxieties About Online Privacy". Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- PTI. "Epic: first web browser for India launched". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "First Browser with an Indian Origin - Epic". Techtree.com. Archived from the original on 2010-07-18. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "How Epic Protects You". Epic Privacy Browser. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Epic Privacy Browser Features. Epic is a secure chromium-based web browser that protects your privacy online". epicbrowser.com. Retrieved 2019-07-17.