Epic (web browser)
|Initial release||July 15, 2010|
|Stable release||31.0.1650.57 (196386) / November 30, 2013|
The chromium-based Epic was released on August 29, 2013 and focused on protecting users' privacy online. A previous version of Epic was released on 15 July 2010, Epic was originally based on Mozilla Firefox and customized to the taste of Indian users. Similar to Flock, the browser had several pre-installed widgets such as social networking, chat clients and email facilities integrated into the browser.
Epic's default configuration takes proactive approach to ensuring session data (such as cookies, history, and cache) are removed when the browser is exited. The browser also includes a proxy service that can be enabled at the user's discretion, and is automatically enabled when using a search engine. Other features, such as preferring SSL connections and always sending a Do Not Track header promote a heightened state of privacy in comparison to some other browsers.
Supplementary services found in the Chromium browser that send data to external servers, such as address bar suggestion and installation tracking, are removed in Epic to reduce the scope of potential data leakage.
- "Epic". Softpedia. SoftNews. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Epic Browser Terms & Conditions". Hidden Reflex. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Epic Privacy Browser". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Sharma, Ojas (15 Jul 2010). "Indian Startup Launches Epic Web Browser". PC World. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- "India gets its own web-browser: Epic". CIOL Bureau. July 15, 2010. Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- PRWeb/Hidden Reflex. "Hidden Reflex Launches New Epic Privacy Browser To Confront Growing Anxieties About Online Privacy". Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- PTI. "Epic: first web browser for India launched". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "First Browser with an Indian Origin - Epic". Techtree.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "How Epic Protects You". Epic Privacy Browser. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Official website -> Official Website
- Official website -> Official Forum
- Official website -> Official Facebook
- Official website -> Official Twitter