|First appearance||Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos vol. 1 #27 (February 1966)|
|Created by||Stan Lee (writer)
Dick Ayers (artist)
|Alter ego||Eric Koenig|
Eric Koenig received an entry in the All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A to Z: Update #3 (2007).
Fictional character biography
Eric Koenig was a member of the original Howling Commandos and fought alongside the team during World War II. He was a pilot as well as a trainer and was a very Anti-Nazi German, as the Nazis killed his sister. He was the replacement of Dino Manelli, who was away on a special mission,[volume & issue needed] and then replaced Izzy Cohen when he was a Prisoner of War.[volume & issue needed] Upon Cohen’s return, Koenig stayed as a member of the team.[volume & issue needed] After the war, Koenig was one of the Howlers that joined Nick Fury in forming S.H.I.E.L.D.[volume & issue needed] A Life Model Decoy of Koenig appeared and was part of the Deltite affair, but destroyed itself after being captured and scanned by Tony Stark.
When S.H.I.E.L.D. was decommissioned and its agents auto-transferred to the newly founded H.A.M.M.E.R. during the Dark Reign storyline, Eric remained with H.A.M.M.E.R. This was despite the fact that 1200 agents who were Fury loyalists (including Dum Dum Dugan and Gabriel Jones) resigned and formed the Howling Commandos PMC. It later transpired that he was working for them from within, and aided in a heist that saw the HCPMC (now owned by Fury) raid a number of H.A.M.M.E.R. Helicarriers, and bolstering their ranks when over 3000 H.A.M.M.E.R. agents defected to their side. He is later killed in a battle against HYDRA. Gabriel Jones is also one of the many S.H.I.E.L.D. fatalities along with Eric.
In other media
Eric Koenig appears in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode "Providence", portrayed by Patton Oswalt. Reviewer Oliver Sava called Koenig "a breath of fresh air after all the tense events leading up to his appearance". He is a helper at Nick Fury's secret S.H.I.E.L.D. base Providence. Eric Koenig has Phil Coulson keep private about the fact that Nick Fury is still alive. In the episode "The Only Light in the Darkness", Eric Koenig conducts lie-detector tests on Phil Coulson's team in order to see who can be trusted. He is murdered offscreen by Grant Ward and his body is found in a ventilation duct by Skye. In the episode "Nothing Personal", Eric Koenig's body is found by Jemma Simmons, who confirms Eric Koenig's cause of death.
In addition to appearing as Billy in the second season, Oswalt also portrays Eric and Billy's other brother Sam Koenig in the episode "...Ye Who Enter Here". Sam helps Billy to protect Raina from Hydra agents until Skye, Melinda May, Lance Hunter, and Antoine Triplett arrive in Vancouver. When Triplett asks how many brothers they have, Billy and Sam say 13, although they then indicate that this is a joke. When Sam doesn't make an appearance for most of the mid-season finale, Billy jokes to Trip that Sam is "recharging his batteries"; however, Trip tells Billy he knows he is trying to mess with him.
In the episode "Hot Potato Soup", two more Koenig siblings are revealed. Thurston Koenig, who is not a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and refers to them as a bunch of "sheep" due to the death of their brother Eric, and an older sister named L.T. Koenig (portrayed by Artemis Pebdani). L.T. got her younger siblings to join S.H.I.E.L.D. and constantly picks on them. Billy, Sam and L.T. try to hide the Darkhold from the Watchdogs and Holden Radcliffe, but they discover too late that Melinda May was replaced by an LMD. By the end of the episode, the Koenigs confirm that they are all human.
- Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #1-3
- Secret Warriors #4-6
- Secret Warriors #19 (August 2010)
- "EXCLUSIVE: Patton Oswalt Enlists in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.". Marvel. March 20, 2014.
- Strom, Marc (March 29, 2014). "DECLASSIFYING MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.: PROVIDENCE". Marvel. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- "Review: Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: "Providence" · TV Club · The A.V. Club". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Goldberg, Eric (April 22, 2014). "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: "The Only Light in the Darkness" Review"". IGN. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "DECLASSIFYING MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.: BEGINNING OF THE END". Marvel. April 25, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Goldberg, Eric (May 13, 2014). "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: "Beginning of the End" Review". IGN. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Abrams, Natalie (July 25, 2014). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Reveals New Characters, Carter Adds Captain Directors". TV Guide. Archived from the original on July 25, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Lovett, Jamie (2017-01-31). "Agents Of SHIELD Season 4 Episode 12: Hot Potato Soup Recap With Spoilers". Retrieved 2017-02-04.