Happy Sam Sawyer
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Happy Sam Sawyer|
|First appearance||Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963)|
Stan Lee (writer)|
Jack Kirby (artist)
|Alter ego||Samuel Sawyer|
United States Army
Fictional character biography
Happy Sam Sawyer was assigned to the British Commandos by the U.S. Army. He trained in parachuting in Britain in 1940 by Finley's Flying circus that comprised daredevil parachutist Nick Fury and pilot Red Hargroves where they nicknamed him Happy Sam ironically, because of his deadly serious and consistently stony demeanor. In 1942 Sawyer, who had been wounded in North Africa and was deemed unfit for combat missions, organised and led the Howling Commandos, Bull McGiveney's Maulers, Jim Morita's Nisei Squad, and Sgt Bob Jenkin's The Missouri Marauders as well as the Deadly Dozen.[volume & issue needed] When artist John Severin joined Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos with issue #44, Severin drew Sawyer as being much older and balder than his original depiction as a young man.
In modern times, Baron Strucker created an LMD of Sawyer that attacked the original Howling Commandos as well as Captain America. Sawyer would sacrifice himself when the LMD detonated itself while trying to gain missile navigation override codes.
In other media
- Happy Sam Sawyer appears in the X-Men episode "Old Soldiers." He is voiced by Lorne Kennedy.
- Corporal "Happy Sam" Sawyer appears in the Agent Carter episode "The Iron Ceiling" portrayed by Leonard Roberts. Corporal Sawyer is among the soldiers that assist Peggy Carter, Jack Thompson, and Dum Dum Dugan into raiding a Russian military complex that was going to sell stolen weapons to Leviathan.
- Heritage Comics and Comic Art Auction #7027. Heritage Capital Corporation. p. 64. ISBN 978-1-59967-501-5. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- Blitzkrieg Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos #34
- Captain America #274
- Iron Man: Hypervelocity #3, May 2007
- Young Allies 70th anniversary Special
- Marvel.com (January 16, 2015). "DEBRIEFING MARVEL'S AGENT CARTER: THE IRON CEILING". Marvel. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Leto, Peter (director); Jose Molina (writer) (February 3, 2015). "The Iron Ceiling". Marvel's Agent Carter. Season 1. Episode 5. ABC.