|Secretary of the Council of Ministers|
|Assumed office |
1 June 2018
|Prime Minister||Giuseppe Conte|
|Preceded by||Maria Elena Boschi|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
for Lombardy's 2nd district
|Assumed office |
9 May 1996
|Born||16 December 1966|
Cazzago Brabbia, Italy
|Political party||Lega Nord|
Giancarlo Giorgetti (born 16 December 1966 in Cazzago Brabbia) is an Italian politician and prominent member of the League, of which he became deputy secretary in 2013. He currently serves as Secretary of the Council of Ministers in the government of Giuseppe Conte.
In the early 1990s, he joined Lega Lombarda and Lega Nord. Elected to the Chamber of Deputies for the first time in 1996, he was re-elected in 2001, 2006, 2008 and 2013. From 2001 to 2006, he was the chairman of the Budget Committee in the Chamber. Within the party, he was national secretary of Lega Lombarda from 2002 to 2012 and has been deputy federal secretary of Lega Nord since 2016.
Giorgetti was described by The New York Times as a powerful aide to Umberto Bossi, founder and federal secretary of Lega Nord from 1991 to 2012; and by The Economist as his "dauphin". In 2010, The Guardian described him as an "influential member of Berlusconi's Northern League party", where Berlusconi stood erroneously for Bossi. Under Matteo Salvini, Bossi's opponent and new federal secretary of Lega Nord since 2013, Giorgetti continued to be one of the most influential members of the party.
Giorgetti is a federalist and regionalist politician who supports decentralization. Speaking in the 2018 edition of the Communion and Liberation Rimini Meeting on 20 August 2018, he stated that the "Italian Parliament is currently powerless and useless as it is" and that democracy is "worthless" if its institutions do not work for the people.
- Giancarlo Giorgetti – Governo
- Donadio, Rachel (September 15, 2010). "A New Power Broker Rises in Italy". The New York Times: Europe. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
“As a member of the league, I should say that I want to vote tomorrow,” said Giancarlo Giorgetti, the chairman of the Lower House budget committee and one of Mr. Bossi’s most powerful deputies.
- "Bossi's boots: Its leader gravely ill, the Northern League faces an uncertain future". The Economist. Apr 22, 2004. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
Two years ago, Mr Bossi called Giancarlo Giorgetti, the 37-year-old secretary of the Lombard League, the original core of the party, his “dauphin”.
- Matt Scott (27 January 2010). "Questions remain over Notts County affairs ahead of court date". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
It is strongly possible that the contact was made on the recommendation of Giancarlo Giorgetti, an influential member of Berlusconi's Northern League party who just so happens to be a massive Saints fan.
- "Tanti consiglieri intorno a Salvini, ma il leader ascolta solo Giorgetti". 26 June 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Travaglio a Servizio pubblico: chi sono i saggi e la mazzetta alla Camera
- La mazzetta per Giorgetti non si trova
| Italian European Commissioner
Taking office 2019
|This article about an Italian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|