|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Title(s)||The Water Lord,
King of the Water Elementals
|Home plane||The Sea of Timelessness (Elemental Plane of Water)
4E: Elemental Chaos
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977-1988)
Ed Greenwood initially used Straasha, one of Moorcock's Elemental gods as found in the original Deities & Demigods, as the elemental lord of water for his home Dungeons & Dragons campaign set in the Forgotten Realms. As Greenwood indicated in his article "Down-to-earth Divinity" in Dragon #54 (October 1981), Moorcock's elemental gods "may later be replaced in [his] universe by "official" AD&D beings as these are published". Istishia first appeared in the original Manual of the Planes (1987), and was featured as one of the elemental lords for the Forgotten Realms in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set's "Cyclopedia of the Realms" booklet (1987).
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition (1989-1999)
Istishia was described in the hardback Forgotten Realms Adventures (1990), the revised Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1993) in the "Running the Realms" booklet, and Faiths & Avatars (1996).
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition (2000-2007)
Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition (2008-Present)
Istishia appears in the fourth edition as a primordial.
Istishia's symbol is a cresting wave and his favourite weapon is a wave (a warhammer for his clerics). His domains are Destruction, Ocean, Storm, Travel and Water. He is worshipped by bards, elemental archons of water, sailors and travelers. His clerics can be of Chaotic Neutral, True Neutral, Neutral Evil, Neutral Good, and Lawful Neutral alignments.
- Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set. TSR, Inc. ISBN 0-88038-472-7.
- Greenwood, Ed. "Down to Earth Divinity." Dragon #54 (TSR, 1981)
- Grubb, Jeff. Manual of the Planes (TSR, 1987)
- Grubb, Jeff and Ed Greenwood. Forgotten Realms Adventures (TSR, 1990)
- Ed Greenwood (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. ASIN B000K06S2E.
- Martin, Julia, and Eric L. Boyd. Faiths & Avatars (TSR, 1996)
- McComb, Colin. On Hallowed Ground (TSR, 1996)
- Cook, Monte, with William W. Connors. The Inner Planes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1998
- Boyd, Eric L. Demihuman Deities (TSR, 1998)
- Ed Greenwood; et al. (2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Wizard of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Boyd, Eric L, and Erik Mona. Faiths and Pantheons (Wizards of the Coast, 2002)
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims. Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (Wizards of the Coast, 2008)