Joint Ministerial Committee (UK)
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
|United Kingdom portal|
In the United Kingdom, the Joint Ministerial Committee (JMC), (Welsh: Y Cyd-bwyllgor Gweinidogion), is a consultative body established by a memorandum of understanding between the UK Government and devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The JMC seeks to act as a focus for the coordination of the relationships between these administrations.
The terms of reference for the JMC are:
- "To consider non-devolved matters which impinge on devolved responsibilities, and devolved matters which impinge on non-devolved responsibilities."
- "Where the UK government and the devolved administrations so agree, to consider devolved matters if it is beneficial to discuss their respective treatment in different parts of the UK."
- "To keep the arrangements for liaison between the UK government and the devolved administrations under review."
- To consider disputes between the administrations."
The current membership of the JMC is as follows:
- Theresa May, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland
- Carwyn Jones, First Minister of Wales
- Arlene Foster and Michelle O'Neill, representing Northern Ireland in their ministerial capacities.
The following may also attend sessions of the JMC:
- Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom or First Secretary of State (if in office)
- The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- The secretaries of state for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Other Secretaries of State when issues relating to their remit are discussed.
The JMC last met on 30 January 2017 and prior to that in October 2016 and December 2014. It also met before that during Tony Blair’s premiership. Under proposals outlined by Theresa May in October 2016, the JMC will meet on an annual basis and will rotate between London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. It will also publish an annual report on its work and proceedings. There are three types of JMC meeting formats; plenary, domestic and European.
- "Devolution of powers to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - GOV.UK".
- "Joint Ministerial Committee communiqué: 30 January 2017 - GOV.UK".
- "Brexit: DUP and Sinn Féin attend Theresa May meeting". BBC News. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Joint Ministerial Committee communiqué: December 2014 - News stories - GOV.UK".
- "Minutes of the 2nd Joint Ministerial Committee - a Freedom of Information request to Ministry of Justice". 14 July 2010.
- "Theresa May calls for 'grown-up' UK and Wales relations". 23 October 2016 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Joint Ministerial Committee". Scottish Government. 20 September 2012.
- "Welsh Government: Joint Ministerial Committee".