List of accidents and incidents involving helicopters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is a list of accidents and incidents involving helicopters and which are notable enough to have an article on Wikipedia. It is grouped by the years in which the accidents and incidents occurred.
- 2 February - Sikorsky S-61N, AP-AOC, operating Pakistan International Airlines Flight 17, crashes near Faridpur, East Pakistan following a mechanical failure. Twenty-three of the 24 people on board are killed.
- 22 May - Sikorsky S-61L N303Y, operating Los Angeles Airways Flight 841, suffers a mechanical failure in flight which allows the rotor blades to collide with the aircraft's fuselage. It crashes at Paramount, California, killing all 23 people on board.
- 14 August - Sikorsky S-61L N300Y, operating Los Angeles Airways Flight 417, loses a rotor blade in flight and crashes at Compton, California. All 21 people on board are killed.
- 10 May - A Sikorsky CH-53 Yas'ur of the Israeli Air Force crashes in the Jordan Valley. All 54 people on board are killed.
- 21 June - Two Boeing CH-47 Chinooks of the Imperial Iranian Air Force are shot down by the Soviet Air Defence Forces after straying into Turkmen Soviet Socialist Republic airspace. One aircraft is destroyed with the loss of eight lives. The other is damaged; it is later repaired with permission from Soviet authorities and returns to Iran.
- 26 June - Sikorsky S-61 LN-OQS of Helikopter Service loses a rotor blade in flight and crashes into the North Sea off Bergen, Norway. All eighteen people on board are killed.
- 13 August - Westland Wessex G-ASWI of Bristow Helicopters suffers an engine failure and ditches in the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk, United Kingdom. All thirteen people on board are killed.
- 23 July - Bell UH-1 Iroquois N87701 of Western Helicopters is damaged by pyrotechnic explosions while a scene for Twilight Zone: The Movie is being filmed at Indian Dunes, California. Actor Vic Morrow and 2 child actors are killed on the ground in the Twilight Zone accident.
- 16 July - Sikorsky S-61 G-BEON of British Airways crashes into the Atlantic Ocean between the coast of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Twenty of the 26 people on board are killed.
- 18 June - Bell 206 N6TC of Helitech collides with Grand Canyon Airlines Flight 6 in mid-ar over the Grand Canyon in Arizona, United States. All five people on board are killed, as are all twenty people on board the de Havilland Twin Otter that it collided with.
- 6 November - Boeing 234LR Chinook G-BWFC of British International Helicopters suffers a mechanical failure which allows the two sets of rotor blades to collide. The aircraft 'ditches at sea off Sumburgh Airport, Shetland Islands, killing 45 of the 47 people on board.
- 13 July - Sikorsky S-61N G-BEID of British International Helicopters suffers an engine fire and ditches into the North Sea off the Shetland Islands. All 21 people on board are rescued.
- 25 October - A Bell 206 crashes into a high voltage transmission tower during bad weather. All 3 on board are killed including Bill Graham.
- 20 November - A Mil Mi-8 belong to the Azerbaijani Government is shot down by the Armenian military. It crashes near Karakend. All 22 people on board are killed.
- 28 January - An Azerbaijani Mil Mi-8 is shot down near Shusha by Armenian forces. All 44 people on board are killed.
- 26 November - Aérospatiale AS 355 F1 ZK-HIT of the New Zealand Police collides in mid-air with Piper Archer ZK-ENX over Auckland. Both aircraft crash, killing all four people on board.
- 2 June - Boeing Chinook HC2 ZD576 of the Royal Air Force crashes on the Mull of Kintyre, Argyll. All 29 people on board are killed.
- 19 January - Aérospatiale AS332 Super Puma G-TIGK, operating Bristow Flight 56C is struck by lightning and ditches in the North Sea off the coast of Aberdeenshire. All eighteen people on board survive.
- 4 February - Two Sikorsky S-65C-3 Yas'ur 2000s, serials 357 and 903, collide in mid-air over She'ar Yashuv and crash. All 73 people on board the two aircraft are killed.
- 8 September - Eurocopter AS332L Super Puma LN-OPG operating Helikopter Service Flight 451 suffers a mechanical failure and crashed into the Norwegian Sea. All twelve people on board are killed.
- 17 September - A Mil Mi-8 of the Russian Armed Forces is shot down at Grozny, Chechnya. All thirteen people on board are killed.
- 27 January - A Mil Mi-8 of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs is shot down near Shelkovskaya, Chechnya. All fourteen people on board are killed.
- 16 July - Sikorsky S-76A G-BJVX of Bristow Helicopters crashes into the North Sea off the coast of Norfolk following the loss of its rotor head in flight. All eleven people on board are killed.
- 19 August - A Mil Mi-26 of the Russian Air Force is shot down by Chechen separatists and crashes at Khankala, Chechnya. One hundred and twenty-seven people are killed.
- 4 December - A Mil Mi-8 of the Polish Air Force crashes near Piaseczno. All fifteen people on board, including the Polish Prime Minister, Leszek Miller, survive.
- 10 August - Sikorsky S-76C+ OH-HCI, operating Copterline Flight 103, crashes into Tallinn Bay. All fourteen people on board are killed.
- 10 December - Bell 412SP N410MA of Mercy Air Services, Inc. crashes near Hesperia, California. All three people on board are killed.
- 27 December - Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin G-BLUN of CHC Helicopter crashes into Morecambe Bay. All six people on board are killed.
- 5 March - An Aérospatiale AS 332C1 Super Puma collided mid-air with a smaller Diamond DV20 Katana near the Zell am See Airport in Austria. All 8 people on board the two aircraft were killed.
- 27 April - A Mil Mi-8 of the Russian Air Force crashes near Shatoy, Chechnya. All twenty people on board are killed.
- 3 June - A Mil Mi-8 of Paramount Airlines crashes at Lungi, Sierra Leone. At least 21 of the 22 people on board are killed.
- 27 July - Two Eurocopter AS350 AStars, N215TV and N613TV, collide in mid-air above Phoenix, Arizona. All four people on board the two aircraft are killed.
- 16 November - A Eurocopter AS350, ZS-REO, Helicopter crashed in inclimite weather in eastern Angola. All 5 on board were killed.
- 17 January - A Eurocopter AS 532 of the French Navy crashes shortly after take-off from the amphibious assault ship Foudre off the coast of Gabon. Eight of the ten people on board are killed.
- 12 March - Sikorsky S-92 C-GZCH, operating Cougar Helicopters Flight 91, suffers a mechanical failure and ditches in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. Seventeen of the eighteen people on board are killed.
- 25 March - Bell 206L-4 LongRanger TC-HEK of Medair crashed into Mount Keş, Turkey, killing all six people on board.
- 1 April - Eurocopter AS332L2 Super Puma Mk 2 G-REDL of Bond Offshore Helicopters suffers a mechanical failure and 'crashes into the North Sea off the coast of Aberdeenshire. All sixteen people on board are killed.
- 3 May - Mil Mi-35 EV 08114 of the Venezuelan Army crashes in Táchira province. All eighteen people on board are killed.
- A Sikorsky CH-53 Yas'ur of the Israeli Air Force crashes in the Bucegi Mountains, Romania. All seven people on board are killed.
- 19 April - Mil Mi-172 VT-PHF of Pawan Hans crashes on landing at Tawang Town, India. Seventeen of the 23 people on board are killed.
- 6 August - A Boeing CH-47 Chinook of the United States Military is shot down by a rocket propelled grenade in Afghanistan. All 38 people on board and a military dog are killed.
- 10 June - Eurocopter AS350 5Y-CDT of the Kenya Police crashes in the Ngong Forest. All six people on board are killed.
- 21 December - Mil Mi-8 RA-27003, operating United Nations Flight 544 for UNMISS is shot down by the Sudan People's Liberation Army in a friendly fire incident. The aircraft crashes at Likuangole, South Sudan, killing all five people on board.
- 16 January - AgustaWestland AW109 G-CRST of Castle Air collides with a crane at Vauxhall, London and crashes. The pilot is killed, as is a pedestrian.
- 9 March - A Mil Mi-8 operating for MONUSCO crashes at Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo. All four people on board are killed.
- 7 April - Mil Mi8-PS OB-1916-P of Helipac crashes in the Loreto Region of Peru. All thirteen people on board are killed.
- 2 July - Mil Mi-8 RA-22657 of Polar Airlines crashes near Deputatsky, Siberia. Twenty-four of the 28 people on board are killed.
- 23 August - A CHC Eurocopter AS332 Super Puma Mk 2 (G-WNSB) crashed into the sea 2 nm from Sumburgh in the Shetland Islands, Scotland while en route from Borgsten Dolphin oil platform. The accident killed four of the passengers; 12 other passengers and two crew were rescued. An investigation by the UK's Air Accident Investigation Branch is ongoing.
- 29 November - Eurocopter EC135-T2+ of Bond Air Services crashes onto the roof of a pub in Glasgow. All three people on board are killed, as are ten people in the pub.
- 13 March - AgustaWestland AW139 G-LBAL of Haughey Air crashes shortly after take-off from Gillingham, Norfolk, killing all four people on board.
- 9 March - Eurocopter AS350B3 Ecureuils LQ-CGK and LQ-FJQ are involved in a mid-air collision and crash, killing all ten people on board.
- 8 May: A Pakistan Army Mil Mi-17 crashed, killing eight people, including the ambassadors of Norway and the Philippines.
- Munir Ahmed (8 May 2015). "Ambassadors killed in Pakistan helicopter crash". Associated Press.
- "Pakistan helicopter crash kills Norwegian, Philippine ambassadors". Reuters. 9 May 2015.