Nathpa Jhakri Dam
|Nathpa Jhakri Dam|
Location of Nathpa Jhakri Dam in India
|Construction cost||US$2 billion|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Concrete gravity|
|Height||67.5 m (221 ft)|
|Length||185 m (607 ft)|
|Dam volume||200,000 m3 (261,590 cu yd)|
|Spillway capacity||5,660 m3/s (199,881 cu ft/s)|
|Total capacity||3,430,000,000 m3 (2,780,746 acre·ft)|
|Active capacity||3,030,000,000 m3 (2,456,461 acre·ft)|
|Surface area||234.5 m (769 ft)|
|Name||Jhakra Power House|
|Hydraulic head||428 m (1,404 ft)|
|Turbines||6 × 250 MW Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||1,500 MW|
The Nathpa Jhakri Dam is a concrete gravity dam on the Satluj River in Himachal Pradesh, India. The primary purpose of the dam is hydroelectric power production and it supplies a 1,500 megawatts (2,000,000 hp) underground power station with water. Before reaching the power station, water is diverted through a 27.4 km (17 mi) headrace tunnel. Construction on the project began in 1993 and it was complete in 2004. The last two of the 250 megawatts (340,000 hp) Francis turbine-generators went online in March 2004. It is owned by SJVN Ltd.
Scheduling and generation despatch
The scheduling and despatch[clarification needed] of the Nathpa Jhakri Hydro Power plant is done by Northern Regional Load Despatch Centre which is the apex body to ensure the integrated operation of the power system grid in the Northern region and comes under Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO).
Sponsors and investors
- Sponsor Nathpa Jhakri Power Corporation
- Kvaerner / ABB / Siemens / Sulzer Escher Wyss
- Foundation Continental Construction Corporation
- Jaiprakash Associates Limited
- "India: National Register of Large Dams 2009" (PDF). Central Water Commission. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Nathpa - Jhakri Hydroelectric Project, Himachal Pradesh, India" (PDF). Geological Survey of India. Retrieved 7 August 2011.