Star Plus (UK and Ireland)
|Launched||21 February 1992 (as Star TV)
17 April 1996 (as Star Plus)
|Owned by||STAR TV (21st Century Fox)|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)
|Audience share||0.31% (September 2015BARB),|
|Slogan||Rishta Wahi, Soch Nayi (Same Relationship, New Way Of Thinking)|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom
|Replaced||Star TV (21 February 1992-16 April 1996)|
|Sister channel(s)||Star Life OK
|Sky||Channel 784 (SD/HD)
Channel 839 (SD)
|Virgin Media||Channel 803|
|TalkTalk Plus TV||Channel 550|
|Sky Go||Watch live (UK and Ireland only)|
STAR Plus is a Hindi language general entertainment television channel and the largest Asian Channel in the UK. Star Plus is owned by STAR TV UK whose head office is in London. The channel is part of the STAR TV network's bouquet of channels. Star Plus' programming primarily consists of family dramas and telefilms. This channel is also distributed to worldwide by Fox International Channels, subsidiary of 21st Century Fox. The majority of programming on Star Plus UK is subtitled in English.
In September 2015, Star Plus aired its first Urdu language Pakistani drama—Mera Naam Yusuf Hai, following the success of Pakistani dramas on another Indian channel Zindagi, thus making it the first international drama to be aired on the channel. The serial broke all the records of the channel and became the most watched and the most critical and commercial successful drama to be ever aired on Star Plus.
When it was first launched on 21 February 1992, Star Plus was an English-language television channel showing international content from the U.S., UK and Australia during an agreement between Star and Zee TV. However, after STAR (subsequently acquired by News Corporation) ended its relationship with Zee TV, Star Plus was transformed into a Hindi language channel, with STAR World (no longer available in the UK) becoming the network's English-language channel.
On 3 April 2010, following the Star Plus Parivaar Awards, Star Plus revealed its new logo. The new logo is a ruby-coloured star with the trademark swoosh in white and the name of the channel in a new font. The new colour is a key component of the channel. The new theme is "Rishta Wahi Soch Nayi" meaning the relationships are still the same but our thoughts are new.
Star Plus HD in the UK was set to launch by the end of 2011, however it was delayed until 5 July 2012. Rajan Singh, CEO of Star Europe and USA said over Twitter that the HD launch was be a key focus, with Star Gold HD being a possibility when the library is updated.
The launch of the HD simulcast feed has been marketed as being in time for the 13th IIFA Awards.
The majority of programming that airs on Star Plus follows the same schedule as its Indian counterpart and airs programs on the same day, with the time difference accounted for.
Star Plus in the UK is by far the strongest brand in the public eye. It often sponsors and telecasts Asian mela's such as the Leicester Mela as well as supporting Asian groups within universities. In 2012, Star Plus is a sponsor of the Leicester Mela and have also teamed up with the World Food Awards in London. Viewers can also meet their favourite stars now and then with Jigar and Rashi coming to the UK in July 2012.
- "Mera Naam Yusuf Hai to hit the screens on Indian Channel". Dawn News. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Rashid Nazir Ali (27 November 2014). "Mera Naam Yusuf Hai to be aired on Star Plus". review it. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Talent Hunt". The Day After. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 22 December 2009.[dead link]
- Star Plus UK goes widescreen - http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/star-plus-uk-goes-widescreen
- Star Plus UK to launch HD Channel - http://media247.co.uk/bizasia/newsarchive/2011/02/exclusive_star_5.php
- Star Plus HD UK Date Confirmed - http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/star-plus-hd-to-launch-in-july-in-uk
- Star Plus HD is Key Focus - https://twitter.com/rajansinghstar/status/207443454396084224
- Star UK to hold bollywood concert - http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/star-uk-to-hold-huge-bollywood-concert
- Star Plus is the UK's most popular Asian channel - http://uk.startv.com/?q=staruk-pages/about-us