Uttar Kashi, Barahhaat
Location in Uttarakhand, India
1451 km2claimed by China
|• Total||8,016 km2 (3,095 sq mi)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Uttarkashi District is a district of Garhwal division of the Uttarakhand state in northern India, and has its headquarters at Uttarkashi city. It has six Tehsils namely Barkot, Dunda, Bhatwadi, Chinyali Saur, Purola and Mori.
Uttarkashi District town lies high in the Himalaya range, and the district contains the source of both the Ganges from Gangotri and Yamuna from Yamunotri rivers, which attract thousands of Hindu pilgrims. The town lies on the main route to Gangotri, has many Hindu temples, and is also considered an important Hindu pilgrimage centre. The district is bounded on the north by Himachal Pradesh state, on the northeast by Tibet, on the east by Chamoli District, on the southeast by Rudraprayag District, on the south by Tehri Garhwal District, and on the west by Dehradun District. Uttarkashi means North Kashi. It’s one of the favorite place of Lord Shiva call this Kashi Biswanaath..
- Purola (SC)
According to the 2011 census Uttarkashi district has a population of 330,086, roughly equal to the nation of Belize. This gives it a ranking of 567th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 41 inhabitants per square kilometre (110/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 11.75%. Uttarkashi has a sex ratio of 959 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 75.98%.
Disasters which have affected Uttarkashi
- 1976: Fire incident in the Main Market. A fire broke out in the morning of 1976
- 1978: Floods in Bhagirathi River due to a dam made by the debri bought by Kandolia Gard a small riverlet. The dam was breached by the Army using explosives. Thousand gallon of water rushed along the river and caused damage to agricultural land, ashrams and houses located along the banks of the river. There was no major loss of life as the district administration took adequate precautions by evacuating the low lying areas along the banks of the river.
- 1984: Cloud burst in Gyansu nala.
- 1991: Earth Quake 20 Oct 1991 Uttarkashi and adorning area was hit by a earthquake measuring 6.8 on the ritcher scale.
- 2003: On 23 Sep 2003 Uttarkashi was hit by a landslide in which hotels, shops in the bus stand area were destroyed. Housing colony of Horticulture department in the Masjid Mohalla area was completely destroyed under the falling debri from top of the Varunavat mountain.
- 2013–2014: Uttarkashi was hit by Flash Flood caused by cloud burst in the Asi Ganga River catchment area and Bhagirathi River catchment area. The flash floods caused wide scale damage to property and agricultural land along the banks of both the rivers. Many hotels ware washed away in flooding waters of Bhagirathi River (Akash Ganga Hotel, Portion of Gautam Park Hotel, Pwd Office at Joshiyara). Many bridges ware destroyed during the floods (Didsari Suspension Bridge, Naluna Suspension Bridge, Joshiyara Suspension Bridge, Athali Suspension Bridge).
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Belize 321,115 July 2011 est.
- C-16 Population By Mother Tongue – Uttarakhand (Report). Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Eberhard, David M.; Simons, Gary F.; Fennig, Charles D., eds. (2019). "India – Languages". Ethnologue (22nd ed.). SIL International.
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Uttarkashi district.|