|Native to||United States|
Whulshootseed (xʷəlšuʔcid), also called Twulshootseed, is a Native American language in Washington, which was spoken by the Muckleshoot, Puyallup, Suquamish, Duwamish, Nisqually, and Squaxin Island tribes. Whulshootseed is a southern dialect of Lushootseed, which is part of the Coast Salish language group. The last native speaker was Ellen Williams, born 1923.
Whulshootseed is taught at the Muckleshoot Language Program of the Muckleshoot Tribal College in Auburn, Washington, at a local school, and by the Puyallup Tribal Language Program. A 1999 video, Muckleshoot: a People and Their Language profiles the Muckleshoot Whulshootseed Language Preservation Project.
- Erik Lacitis (2005-02-08). "Last few Whulshootseed speakers spread the word". Seattle Times Newspaper. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin; Bank, Sebastian, eds. (2016). "Southern Lushootseed". Glottolog 2.7. Jena: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Holly Taylor (2010-05-06). "Preserving the Lushootseed language for the next generation". Crosscut.com, News of the Great Nearby. Seattle, WA. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Lois Sweet Dorman (2005-06-21). "Lost in translation: a connection to the sacred". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Johansen, Bruce E (2015). "Chapter 10, Muckleshoot language revival". Up from the ashes : nation building at Muckleshoot (First ed.). Seattle, WA: Seattle Publishing. pp. 244–251. ISBN 9780985776411.
- "Muckleshoot Language Program". Muckleshoot Tribal College. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Mary Ann Zehr (2010-07-14). "NCLB Seen Impeding Indigenous-Language Preservation". Education Week. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Puyallup Tribal Language Program". Puyallup Tribe of Indians. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Scott Ross (Director) (1999). Muckleshoot: a People and Their Language. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- The Whulshootseed alphabet
- Placenames, Squaxin Island tribe
- Puyallup Tribal Language Program, Whulshootseed learning materials
|This indigenous languages of the Americas–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Washington-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|