From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1524.
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1490s 1500s 1510s – 1520s – 1530s 1540s 1550s|
|Years:||1521 1522 1523 – 1524 – 1525 1526 1527|
|1524 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Ab urbe condita||2277|
|English Regnal year||15 Hen. 8 – 16 Hen. 8|
|Chinese calendar||癸未年 (Water Goat)
4220 or 4160
— to —
甲申年 (Wood Monkey)
4221 or 4161
|- Vikram Samvat||1580–1581|
|- Shaka Samvat||1446–1447|
|- Kali Yuga||4625–4626|
|Japanese calendar||Daiei 4
|Minguo calendar||388 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||2066–2067|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1524.|
- January 17 – Florentine explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano, on board La Dauphine in the service of Francis I of France, sets out from Madeira for the New World to seek out a westabout sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
- March – Spanish conquistador Pedro de Alvarado destroys the K'iche' Kingdom of Q'umarkaj, taking the capital, Quiché.
- March 1 (approximate date) – da Verrazzano's expedition makes landfall at Cape Fear.
- April 17 – Verrazzano's expedition makes the first European entry into New York Bay and sights the island of Manhattan.
- April 30 – Battle of the Sesia: Spanish forces under Charles de Lannoy defeat the French army in Italy under William de Bonnivet. The French, now commanded by François de St. Pol, withdraw from Italy.
- June 8 – Spanish conquistador Pedro de Alvarado leads the Battle of Acajutla, defeating a battalion of Pipiles, in the neighborhoods of present day Acajutla, El Salvador
- Summer – Paracelsus visits Salzburg. He also visits Villach during the year.
- July 8 – Verrazzano's expedition returns to Dieppe.
- August–September – Marseille is besieged by Imperial forces under the Duke of Bourbon.
- Late August – Protestant theologians Martin Luther and Andreas Karlstadt dispute at Jena.
- October 28 – A French army invading Italy under King Francis besieges Pavia.
- December 8 – Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba founds the city of Granada, Nicaragua, the oldest Hispanic city in the mainland of the Western Hemisphere.
- February 10 – Albrecht Giese, German politician and diplomat (d. 1580)
- February 17 – Charles of Guise, French cardinal (d. 1574)
- February 24 – Wenceslaus III Adam, Duke of Cieszyn (d. 1579)
- March 17 – Diego de Landa, Bishop of the Yucatán (d. 1579)
- May 28 – Selim II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1574)
- June 12 – Achilles Statius, Portuguese humanist (d. 1581)
- June 24 – Johann Stössel, German theologian (d. 1576)
- August 14 – Elizabeth of Denmark, Duchess of Mecklenburg, Danish princess (d. 1586)
- August 23 – François Hotman, French Protestant lawyer and writer (d. 1590)
- September 7 – Thomas Erastus, Swiss theologian (d. 1583)
- September 11 – Pierre de Ronsard, French poet (d. 1585)
- October 4 – Francisco Vallés, Spanish physician (d. 1592)
- October 5 – Rani Durgavati, Queen of Gond (d. 1564)
- October 16 – Nicolas, Duke of Mercœur, Roman Catholic bishop (d. 1577)
- date unknown
- Jan Borukowski, royal secretary of Poland (d. 1584)
- Armand de Gontaut, baron de Biron, French soldier (d. 1592)
- Jean Pithou, French lawyer and author (d. 1602); and his twin brother, Nicolas Pithou, French lawyer and author (d. 1598)
- Thomas Tusser, English poet and farmer (d. 1580)
- Luís de Camões, Portuguese poet (d. 1580)
- January 5 – Marko Marulic, Croatian poet (b. 1450)
- April 30 – Pierre Terrail, seigneur de Bayard, French soldier (b. 1473)
- May 21 – Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk, English soldier and statesman (b. 1443)
- May 23 – Ismail I, Shah of Persia (b. 1487)
- June 12 – Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, Spanish conquistador (b. 1465)
- July 20 – Claude of France, queen of Louis XII of France (b. 1499)
- August 24 – William Scott of Scott's Hall, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports
- October 5 – Joachim Patinir, Flemish painter (b. c. 1480)
- December 20 – Thomas Linacre, English humanist and physician (b. 1460)
- December 24 – Vasco da Gama, Portuguese explorer (b. c. 1469)
- date unknown