|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Traded as||NYSE: MEG|
|Industry||Broadcast and Digital|
|Headquarters||333 E. Franklin Street
Richmond, Virginia, 23219 USA
|Key people||J. Stewart Bryan III , chairman
George L. Mahoney, president and CEO
Media General, Inc. is a media company based in the Southeastern United States. The company was formed in 1940 when Richmond, Virginia's two newspapers, the Times-Dispatch and News Leader, merged to form Richmond Newspapers. In 1969, as the company's media properties grew and diversified, it was renamed Media General. Media General is headquartered in Richmond and Tampa is its largest market.
In 1982 the company acquired The William B. Tanner Company (previously known as Pepper-Tanner), a commercial radio jingle production company headquartered in Memphis. It divested in 1988. In 1996, Media General acquired Park Communications, formerly owned by the media entrepreneur Roy H. Park.
On June 6, 2013, it was announced that Young Broadcasting and Media General will merge. Due to the way the merger is structured, Young Broadcasting's shareholders will control a majority of Media General's stock; however, the combined company will take the "Media General" name (with headquarters remaining in Richmond) and will own 30 stations, reaching 14% of the United States. On November 8, FCC approved the merger.
Current Media General stations
Stations are arranged in alphabetical order by state and city of license.
- (¤¤) – Indicates a station owned by Park Communications prior to its acquisition by Media General in 1997.
- (##) – Indicates a station owned by Spartan Radiocasting prior to its acquisition by Media General in 2000.
- (++) – Indicates a station acquired by Media General from NBC Universal in 2006.
- (Y) – Indicates a station owned by Young Broadcasting prior to its merger with Media General in 2013.
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel TV (RF)||Acquired||Network Affiliation|
|Birmingham - Anniston - Tuscaloosa||WVTM-TV ++||13 (13)||2006||NBC|
|Mobile - Pensacola||WKRG-TV ##||5 (27)||2000||CBS|
|San Francisco||KRON-TV Y||4 (38)||2013||MyNetworkTV|
|Tampa - St. Petersburg||WFLA-TV||8 (7)||1966||NBC|
|Augusta||WJBF ##||6 (42)||2000||ABC|
|Columbus, GA||WRBL ##||3 (15)||2000||CBS|
|Savannah - Hilton Head||WSAV-TV||3 (39)||1997||NBC
|Davenport - Moline||KWQC-TV Y||6 (36)||2013||NBC|
|Lafayette, Louisiana||KLFY-TV Y||10 (10)||2013||CBS|
|Lansing||WLNS-TV Y||6 (36)||2013||CBS|
|WLAJ 2||53 (51)||2013||ABC
|Jackson, Mississippi||WJTV||12 (12)||2000||CBS
|Hattiesburg - Laurel||WHLT
(Semi-satellite of WJTV)
|Albany - Schenectady - Troy||WTEN Y||10 (26)||2013||ABC|
|WXXA-TV 2||23 (7)||2013||Fox|
|Adams, Massachusetts||WCDC-TV Y
(Satellite of WTEN)
|Greenville - New Bern - Washington||WNCT-TV ¤¤||9 (10)||1997||CBS
|Raleigh - Durham - Fayetteville||WNCN ++||17 (17)||2006||NBC|
|Columbus, OH||WCMH-TV ++||4 (14)||2006||NBC|
|Providence - New Bedford||WJAR ++||10 (51)||2006||NBC|
|Charleston, SC||WCBD-TV||2 (50)||1983||NBC
|Florence - Myrtle Beach||WBTW ##||13 (13)||2000||CBS
|Greenville - Spartanburg - Asheville - Anderson||WSPA-TV ##||7 (7)||2000||CBS|
|Sioux Falls, SD||KELO-TV Y||11 (11)||2013||CBS|
|Frorence - Aberdeen, SD||KDLO-TV Y
(Satellite of KELO)
|Reliance - Pierre, SD||KPLO-TV Y
(Satellite of KELO)
|Rapid City, SD||KCLO-TV Y
(Satellite of KELO)
|Knoxville||WATE-TV Y||6 (26)||2013||ABC|
|Nashville||WKRN-TV Y||2 (27)||2013||ABC|
|Tri-Cities (TN / VA)||WJHL-TV ¤¤||11 (11)||1997||CBS|
|Richmond - Petersburg||WRIC-TV Y||8 (22)||2013||ABC|
|Roanoke - Lynchburg||WSLS-TV ¤¤||10 (30)||1997||NBC|
|Green Bay - Appleton||WBAY-TV Y||2 (23)||2013||ABC|
- 1 Owned by Schurz Communications, operated by WJBF through joint sales and shared services agreements.
- 2 Owned by Shield Media, operated by Media General, through a SSA.
Former Media General stations
|Market||Station||Channel TV (RF)||Years Owned||Current Ownership Status|
|Birmingham, Alabama||WIAT ¤¤||42 (30)||1997-2006||CBS affiliate owned by LIN Media|
|Montgomery, Alabama||WNCF ¤¤||32 (31)||1997-1999||ABC affiliate owned by SagamoreHill Broadcasting
(Operated through a LMA by Bahakel Communications)
|Jacksonville, Florida||WJKS/WJWB/WCWJ||17 (34)||1982-2009||CW affiliate owned by Nexstar Broadcasting Group|
|Panama City, Florida||WMBB ##||13 (13)||2000-2008||ABC affiliate owned by Hoak Media Corporation|
|Toccoa, Georgia||WNEG-TV ##||32 (24)||2000-2008||Non-commercial independent station, WUGA-TV, owned by University of Georgia|
|Mason City, Iowa/Rochester, Minnesota||KIMT ##||3 (42)||2000-2006||CBS affiliate owned by LIN Media|
|Wichita, Kansas||KWCH-TV ##||12 (19)||2000-2008||CBS affiliate owned by Schurz Communications|
|Ensign/Dodge City, Kansas||KBSD-TV ##
(Satellite of KWCH)
|6 (6)||2000-2008||CBS affiliate owned by Schurz Communications|
|Goodland, Kansas||KBSL-TV ##
(Satellite of KWCH)
|10 (10)||2000-2008||CBS affiliate owned by Schurz Communications|
|Hays, Kansas||KBSH-TV ##
(Satellite of KWCH)
|7 (7)||2000-2008||CBS affiliate owned by Schurz Communications|
|Lexington, Kentucky||WTVQ-TV ¤¤||36 (40)||1997-2008||ABC affiliate owned by Morris Multimedia|
|Alexandria, Louisiana||KALB-TV ¤¤||5 (35)||1997-2008||NBC affiliate owned by Hoak Media Corporation|
|Utica, New York||WUTR ¤¤||20 (30)||1997||ABC affiliate owned by Mission Broadcasting
(Operated through a LMA by Nexstar Broadcasting Group)
|Chattanooga, Tennessee||WDEF-TV ¤¤||12 (12)||1997-2008||CBS affiliate owned by Morris Multimedia|
- Boxerjam Media
- Atlee Park
On May 17, 2012, it was announced that investment company Berkshire Hathaway will be acquiring Media General's newspaper division (excluding The Tampa Tribune); these newspapers will be merged into Berkshire Hathaway's World Media Enterprises division, a sister company of its other newspaper holdings under the Omaha World-Herald. The deal closed June 25, 2012 . Media General's chairman and former CEO, J. Stewart Bryan III said the company faced a choice: either sell its newspaper division or file for bankruptcy protection. The latter, he said, was "unacceptable."  At the end of 2011, Media General had $658 million in debt.  In October 2012, The Tampa Tribune and its associated print and digital products were acquired by Tampa Media Group, Inc., a new company formed by Revolution Capital Group.
- (Brooksville) Hernando Today (associated with The Tampa Tribune)
- (Sebring) Highlands Today (associated with The Tampa Tribune)
- Jackson County Floridan (Marianna)
- CENTRO Tampa (Spanish-language weekly)
- (New Port Richey) The Suncoast News (associated with The Tampa Tribune)
- The (Eden) Daily News
- Hickory Daily Record
- (Concord & Kannapolis) Independent Tribune
- The (Marion) McDowell News
- The (Madison) Messenger
- The (Morganton) News Herald
- The Reidsville Review
- Statesville Record & Landmark
- The Morning News (Florence) Daily Newspaper for Florence and the Pee Dee Region
- The News and Post (Lake City) – Weekly
- The Marion Star (Marion) – Weekly
- The Weekly Observer (Hemingway) – Weekly
- The Hartsville Messenger – Weekly
- Amherst New Era-Progress
- Powhatan Today
- Midlothian Exchange
- Mechanicsville Local
- Goochland Gazette
- Bristol Herald Courier
- Culpeper Star-Exponent
- The (Charlottesville) Daily Progress
- Danville Register & Bee
- Nelson County Times
- The (Lynchburg) News & Advance
- The (Waynesboro) News Virginian
- News & Messenger (Manassas) (defunct)
- Richlands News-Press/Clinch Valley News
- The Richmond News Leader (defunct)
- Smyth News and Messenger (Marion)
- The Wytheville Enterprise
- Washington County News (Abingdon)
- Greene County Record
- Madison County Eagle
- Orange County Review
- Media General, Young Broadcasting To Merge, TVNewsCheck, June 6, 2013.
- "Media General Announces Sale of WNEG in Toccoa, Ga., to University of Georgia Research Foundation" (Press release). Media General. 2008-06-25. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- "Media General Announces Sale of WTVQ-TV in Lexington, Ky., to Morris Network, Inc." (Press release). Media General. 2008-03-07. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- "Media General Announces Sale of WMBB-TV in Panama City, Fla., and KALB/NALB-TV in Alexandria, La., to Hoak Media Corporation" (Press release). Media General. 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2008-03-15.
- Deadline: "Media General Shares Soar After Warren Buffett Agrees To Buy Its Newspapers", May 17, 2012.
- ABC News: "The Tampa Tribune Sold to Private Equity Firm", October 8, 2012.