Moe's Southwest Grill
Garden Hills location
"the very first Moe's on earth"
|Industry||Fast casual restaurant|
|Founded||Atlanta, Georgia, United States 2000|
|Headquarters||Atlanta, United States|
|Number of locations||550+ (July 2014)|
|Area served||North America|
|Key people||Paul Damico (President)|
|Products||Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas, Stacks, Nachos, Burrito Bowls and other Southwestern fare|
Moe's Southwest Grill, referred to informally as Moe's, was founded in Atlanta, Georgia, in December 2000, by Raving Brands. In August 2007, the brand was purchased by FOCUS Brands. As of the 2013 purchase, there were about 500 locations in operation in 35 states. As of July 14, 2014[update] the number of Moe's locations increased to over 550 in the US after signing 120 new franchises in six months.
Many of the menu items have names drawn from popular culture memes such as:
- "Art Vandalay" and "Close Talker" (both from the television series Seinfeld)
- "Who is Kaiser Salsa", a reference to the villain in The Usual Suspects.
- "El Guapo's Infamous Salsa", named after the villain in the movie Three Amigos.
- The "Triple Lindy" burrito (no longer on the menu), a reference to the movie Back to School.
- The "John Coctostan" quesadilla, a reference to the movie Fletch.
- The "Billy Barou" nachos, a reference to the movie Caddyshack.
- The "Ruprict" may be a mistaken reference to Steve Martin's character "Ruprecht" in a scene from the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
- The "Julia Gulia" stack, a reference to the movie The Wedding Singer
- The "Earmuffs" burrito bowl, a reference to the movie Old School
- The "Wrong Doug" stack, a reference to the movie The Hangover.
In 2011 Moe's opened its first location outside the US in Turkey. According to the company 'newsroom' website (moessouthwestgrill.wordpress.com), franchise partners also exist in Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Russia.
- "Moe’s Southwest Grill Inks 120 New Franchise Deals in First Half of 2014". moessouthwestgrill.wordpress.com (Press release). July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- FOCUS Brands press release, Moe’s Southwest Grill Names Paul Damico as Brand President, May 6, 2008
- FOCUS Brands press release, FOCUS Brands to Acquire Moe’s Southwest Grill, April 11, 2007
- Minnick, Fred, FOCUS Brands Buys Moe's Southwest Grill, QSR Magazine, April 11, 2007
- FOCUS Brands press release, FOCUS Brands and Roark Capital Complete Purchase of Moe's Southwest Grill, August 30, 2007
- McClurg, Kelly (2002-04-12). "Moe's Southwest Grill expanding in local market". Birmingham Business Journal. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill Opens First International Location in Turkey/. moessouthwestgrill.wordpress.com, Retrieved 18 July 2014
- Matt Levin (November 24, 2012 "With Moe’s, finally a real Burrito in Costa Rica", ticotimes.net. Retrieved 18 July 2014
- Moe’s Southwest Grill Opens First Jamaican Location. moessouthwestgrill.wordpress.com, Retrieved 18 July 2014
- Moe’s Southwest Grill to Open 50 Restaurants in Russia. moessouthwestgrill.wordpress.com, Retrieved 18 July 2014
- "13 Pyatnitskaya Street". Google Maps.