The Times Square Building
Upper floors of building (December 2009)
|Former names||New York Times Annex
The New York Times Building
|Location||229 West 43rd Street
Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
|Roof||267 feet (81 metres)|
|Floor area||767,000 square feet (71,300 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Mortimer J. Fox (original)
Ludlow and Peabody (1922 addition)
Albert Kahn (1932 addition)
|Developer||The New York Times Company|
229 West 43rd Street, formerly known as The New York Times Building, is an American 18-story (267 feet; 81 metres) office building, located at 229 West 43rd Street in the Times Square neighborhood of the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York. It was the headquarters of The New York Times newspaper from 1913 through 2007.
Construction and expansions
The building was built in three stages between 1912 and 1937. It was originally designed by Mortimer J. Fox, of the firm Buchman & Fox, and called the New York Times Annex because it was designed to supplement the One Times Square Times Tower, built in 1905 at Broadway and 42nd Street (which gives Times Square its name). In 1922, the Ludlow & Peabody firm designed a 100-foot (30-metre) extension on the west side as well as a five-story setback attic level in the style of the French Renaissance, including the Mansard roofs.
From 1930 to 1932, architect Albert Kahn designed a further expansion to the west including a second lobby and roof-top studio. Further expansions included a 12-story New York Times North building adjoining it to the north on 44th Street.
Sale and post-New York Times use
As of September 2008[update], Africa Israel was in the midst of a $175 million renovation including adding a new sign on the top and replacing a digital clock in place since 1962 with an analog version. Africa Israel officially calls it "The Times Square Building".
- Rubinstein, Dana (September 23, 2008). "Sign for The Times: Landlord Leviev Adding 32-Foot Sign to 229 West 43rd". The New York Observer. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Database (undated). "New York Times Building". Emporis. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Database (undated). "New York Times North Building". Emporis. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Koblin, John (April 30, 2007). "Times Building Sells (Again!) For $525 M.". The New York Observer. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- Dunlap, David W. (September 23, 2008). "Signs of Change, in Lights, for Times Square". City Room (blog of The New York Times. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- (registration required) Rothstein, Edward (June 25, 2009). "Relics From the Deep and the Dawn of Man". The New York Times. Retrieved June 26, 2009.
- "10gen Moves to Former New York Times Building". Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Yahoo Getting Space at Old Home of The Times". The New York Times.