Theatrical Release Poster
|Music by||Thaman S.|
|Cinematography||P. S. Vinod|
|Edited by||Navin Nooli|
Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo (lit. There in Vaikunthapurram) is a 2020 Indian Telugu-language action drama film directed by Trivikram and co-produced by Allu Aravind and S. Radha Krishna under their banners Geetha Arts and Haarika & Hassine Creations, the film features an ensemble cast of Allu Arjun and Pooja Hegde in the lead roles, while Tabu, Jayaram, Sushanth, Navdeep, Nivetha Pethuraj, Samuthirakani, Murali Sharma, Sunil, Sachin Khedekar, and Harsha Vardhan play pivotal roles.
The film features soundtrack composed by Thaman S., while cinematography and editing were handled by P. S. Vinod and Navin Nooli respectively. The film was released theatrically on 12 January 2020, coinciding with Sankranthi to positive reviews from critics.
Billionaire Ramachandra (Jayaram) and his clerk Valmiki (Murali Sharma) get blessed with sons. Ramachandra’s son doesn’t move after birth, and the nurse, fearing retribution tells Valmiki who decides to switch his son with his employer’s. After switching, Ramachandra’s son starts crying. Valmiki however doesn’t allow the nurse to put him back as he wants his son to have a good life. After a struggle the nurse falls and has a coma.
After 25 years, Ramchandra's son who is now Valmiki's son named Bantu(Allu Arjun) goes to a job interview as an executive in travel agency and when HR questions about him, he narrates how bad of a childhood he had and how he got constantly discouraged and demotivated by his father. Feeling pity on him, he decides to offer him a job and he tries to convince his HR manager(Navdeep), whom he had beaten in the beginning of the film for teasing his sister and finally, he gets convinced. Valmiki's son who is now Ramchandra's son Raj Manohar(Sushanth) discontinues his MBA in USA and comes back to his home and he looks very innocent and silent which often worries Ramachandra. Meanwhile, Bantu falls in love with Amulya(Pooja Hegde), his division manager and she too reciprocates her love and one day, Sudarshan(Brahmaji) coerces Amulya to sell her business so that he can run as he wanted and Bantu opposes it by beating his bouncers. This meeting took place in a hotel and in the same hotel, Ramachandra is trying to make his son to oppose Paidithalli(Govind Padmasoorya), son of Appal Naidu(Samuthirakani) who controls Kakinada Port and want to buy their company shares to gain indirect control on the company. Ramachandra heard their conversation and get irritated for his son's inability to be stubborn and hears Bantu and Brahmaji's conversation indirectly appreciates him. At the same time, he finds out that Amulya is a good match for his son and arranges a matchmaking program.
Bantu and Amulya now in love go to tell Ramachandra who had just gotten stabbed by Naidu. Bantu takes him to the hospital where the nurse gets out of a coma and reveals to him his past. Bantu slaps Valmiki and challenges Valmiki that he will enter the house with his thorough knowledge for which Valmiki takes as a joke. Ramchandra's father-in-law ARK(Sachin Khedekar) constantly asks about Bantu as he saved Ramchandra on time and Bantu is overwhelmed to get appreciated by his grandfather. Later, Bantu and his grandfather decide to travel to Kakinada to sort this issue by meeting Appal Naidu and Paidithalli. In Kakinada port, Appal Naidu's main henchmen(Ajay)) disrespects and pushes him. Paidithalli later comes to the office and conducts a board meeting where Ramchandra's son is also taking part in that. ARK sends Bantu to the office for dealing the issue and makes the board meeting a parody show by dancing for all super hit telugu songs and Paidithalli's men gets beaten by Bantu for repeating their actions. ARK gets happy for the way he dealt with meeting throws a party in his home to celebrate their success. After the party, Ramchandra's wife sees Amulya and Bantu kissing. Valmiki pretends to be angered, slaps Bantu and throws him out of the house. Then Bantu tells the truth to Amulya and later, Ramchandra's niece gets kidnapped by Appal Naidu and he demands Ramchandra to send the papers signed by him where the whole company gets transferred to Paidithalli also he imposes a condition that his son should get them. Valmiki seeing this calls Bantu and tells him to go and save her but he refuses. While Raj decides to go because he is in love with her and he reveals this to his family and tells that they never gave him an opportunity to speak and took his silence as a notion of acceptance and then, he leaves to Appal Naidu's home but by the time he reaches the place, he finds his henchmen injured and when asked one of them, he reveals that Bantu came and beaten their men and Appal Naidu who tried to throw a Barbeque pole on Bantu but takes the same thing and stabs Appal Naidu and leaves the place with her.
At last, then ramachandra's wife decides to give the paper to bantu and sends her son (Raj) to valmiki to prepare him as bantu in five years then valmmiki realises not to be selfish for own reason otherwise there will be same consequences and there will beginning of an old story in new way .
- Allu Arjun as Devaraj aka Bantu
- Pooja Hegde as Amulya
- Tabu as Yasu
- Jayaram as Ramachandra
- Sushanth as Raj
- Navdeep as Shekhar
- Nivetha Pethuraj as Nandu
- Samuthirakani as Appala Naidu
- Murali Sharma as Valmiki
- Sunil as Seetharam
- Sachin Khedekar as Aditya Radhakrishnan (ARK)
- Harsha Vardhan as Kashiram
- Govind Padmasoorya as Paidithalli
- Rohini as Valmiki's wife
- Rajendra Prasad as G.Prajapati
- Rahul Ramakrishna as Ravindra
- Vennela Kishore as Shrinivas
- Brahmaji as Sudharshan
- Ajay as Satyam
- Tanikella Bharani as Amulya's father
- Chammak Chandra as money lender
- Vaishnavi Chaitanya as Bantu's sister
- Hyper Aadi as worker in port
- Brahmanandam in a guest appearance in the song "Ramuloo Ramulaa"
- Easwari Rao as nurse (cameo appearance)
After the release of Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava, speculations arose that Trivikram would direct a film with Allu Arjun which would be based on Rayalaseema factionalism and also rumors stated that Allu Arjun will be playing a cop who will be dealing with factionalism in his own way. This project was officially confirmed but there was no clue about the genre. On the eve of new year it was officially announced by Geetha Arts that their next film will be with Allu Arjun in the direction of Trivikram and also mentioned that it is a co-production with Haarika & Hassine Creations. On 8 April 2019, the lead cast and crew was announced on the occasion of Allu Arjun's birthday. On 13 April 2019, the film was formally started shooting by commencing a puja ceremony attended by film team.
The first schedule of the film started on 23 April 2019. The second schedule started on 5 June 2019, during this schedule the film added Pooja Hegde, Nivetha Pethuraj, Tabu and Sushanth in pivotal roles. The title, Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo, was revealed on 15 August 2019.
In mid-November, the team moved to France to film the song "Samajavaragamana". Parts of the song was shot at Mont-Saint-Michel in Normandy, France, and the Eiffel Tower, in Paris. The song was also filmed at Lido de Paris, a world-famous cabaret theatre, and became the first South Indian film to shoot there. Tamil director and actor Samuthirakani was roped in to play a negative role.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||5 January 2020|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Thaman S. chronology|
|Singles from Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo|
The music was composed by Thaman S., marking his second collaboration with director Trivikram, after Aravinda Sametha Veera Raghava and the director's third collaboration with Allu Arjun, after Julai and S/O Satyamurthy.
A glimpse of the first single "Samajavaragamana" featuring Sid Sriram's voiceover, was released in all social media platforms on 25 September 2019. A minute video featuring Thaman S. and lyricist Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry, who penned the lyrics for the song, who shared their opinions about the song was released later in media platforms. The full song was released on 27 September 2019 and went viral within an hour of its launch. Rather than the usual lyrical video, the YouTube video had a band, including singer Sid Sriram and composer Thaman S., performing the song on a flashy stage with shots of Pooja Hegde and Allu Arjun, and others, from the film. On 1 December 2019, it became the fastest Telugu song to 100 million views on YouTube, less than two weeks after it became the first Telugu song to hit 1 million likes on YouTube. The female version of the song sung by Shreya Ghoshal was released on 3 January 2020.
The song teaser of the second single "Ramuloo Ramulaa" was released on 21 October 2019. The lyrics for the song written by Kasarla Shyam and sung by Anurag Kulkarni and Mangli Satyavati. The single was released on 25 October 2019, with the occasion of Diwali. The YouTube video included lyrics, footage of the musicians, an Allu Arjun voice-over, clips of the actual dance number from the movie, behind the scenes footage, and members of the cast wishing fans a happy Diwali at the end. With 8.3 million views, it became the most viewed South Indian song on YouTube within 24 hours. It soon became the fastest Telugu song to reach 50 million views on YouTube.
The song teaser of the third single "OMG Daddy" was released on 14 November 2019, as a Children's Day treats from the team. The teaser features Allu Arha and Allu Ayaan, the children of Allu Arjun. The song performed by Rahul Sipligunj, Rahul Nambiar, Roll Rida, Blaaze and Lady Kash with lyrics by Krishna Chaitanya was released on 21 November 2019. The promo of the third single "Butta Bomma" written by Ramajogayya Sastry and sung by Armaan Malik was released on 18 December 2019, followed by the song teaser on 22 December and full song was released on 23 December 2019.
The full album was released digitally on 5 January 2020, and the songs were performed by Thaman and his musical crew at the "AVPL Musical Concert" held on 6 January 2020, at Police Grounds in Hyderabad.
|1.||"Samajavaragamana (Male version)"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Sid Sriram||3:47|
|2.||"Ramuloo Ramulaa"||Kasarla Shyam||Anurag Kulkarni, Mangli Satyavati||4:12|
|3.||"OMG Daddy"||Krishna Chaitanya||Rahul Sipligunj, Roll Rida, Blaaze, Lady Kash, Rahul Nambiar||3:48|
|4.||"Butta Bomma"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Armaan Malik||3:16|
|5.||"Samajavaragamana (Female version)"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Shreya Ghoshal||4:07|
|6.||"Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo"||Kalyan Chakravarthy||Priya Sisters, Srikrishna Vishnubhotla||3:13|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Singles from Angu Vaikuntapurathu|
The Malayalam versions of "Samajavaragamana" sung by Vijay Yesudas was released on 10 November 2019 and "Aanddava Aanddava" was released on 21 December 2019. The Malayalam version of "OMG Daddy" sung by Rahul Nambiar, Nayana, Shruthi Gayatri, Blaaze and penned by B. K. Harinarayanan was released on 26 December 2019.All the songs are penned by B. K. Harinarayanan.
|1.||"Samajavaragamana (Malayalam Version)"||B. K. Harinarayanan||Vijay Yesudas||3:47|
|2.||"Aanddava Aanddava"||B. K. Harinarayanan||Hanuman, Nayana||4:03|
|3.||"OMG Daddy (Malayalam Version)"||B. K. Harinarayanan||Rahul Nambiar, Nayana, Shruthi Gayatri, Blaaze||3:45|
|4.||"Kutti Bomma"||B. K. Harinarayanan||Srikrishna Vishnubhotla||3:15|
|5.||"Itho Vaikuddapuramallo"||B. K. Harinarayanan||Priya Sisters, Saketh Komanduri||3:14|
The film was released on 12 January 2020 to coincide with Sankranthi and also released on 11 January 2020, in the US, a day before it's official release in India.
This film has dubbed version in Malayalam, titled Angu Vaikuntapurathu, and released simultaneously in Kerala due to the previous success of his dubbed movies in the state, owing to his huge popularity and fanbase. This film was also released in Japan on the same date. The movie received highly positive reviews from the audience.
The team released a small behind the set's video to promote the start of films production. A small video to reveal the title of the film was released on 15 August 2019 as an Independence day treat. After unveiling the first glimpse, Allu Arjun's funny gesture made the audience and fans understood that this will be a middle-class family story with Trivikram's style of humor. The first look poster of the film was released on 1 September 2019. It gives the 'vintage Trivikram mark for its rich appeal and classy look of Bunny'.
The second look poster was released on 7 October 2019, coinciding with Dusshera which features Allu Arjun in an action avatar. Another poster, revealing the release date was launched on 13 October 2019. A new poster revealing Sushanth's character was released on 20 October 2019. Another poster from the film was released on 4 November 2019, on the occasion of Tabu's birthday.
The first look of the Malayalam version of the film was unveiled on 7 November 2019, coinciding with director Trivikram's birthday. The glimpse of film's teaser was released on 8 December 2019. The official teaser was released on 11 December 2019, and received positive response from audiences. The teaser of the film's Malayalam version was released on 19 December 2019. After releasing several posters in order to promote the film, the makers released the film's trailer on 6 January 2020.
The film received positive reviews with praise towards the performance of Allu Arjun, musical score by S. Thaman and the dialogues penned by Trivikram while the predictable storyline and the narrative of the film were criticised.
Hemanth Kumar of Firstpost gave the film 3.25 stars out of 5 and wrote "Trivikram Srinivas is a wordsmith of the highest order, and when he's in great form,everything he writes is like music to the ears. He makes you want to latch on to everything that the characters speak or sing throughout the story. However, in Ala Vaikuntapurramlo, he takes a detour from his path and focuses more on the emotional drama between the characters. More than the witty lines and humour, it's the depth in the emotional conversations between the characters that leave a strong impression."
A review posted by Rohit Mohan on Koimoi said the film to be "a perfect family entertainer to watch on this festive season of Sankranthi with your near and dear ones, not only for Allu Arjun fans but also for every movie lovers." He gave the film three and a half stars out of five.
The Hans India gave the film 3.25 stars out of 5 stating that performances, narration and bgm are the major plus points of the film while also mentioning that there are no major minus points in the movie. Trivikram Srinivas received praise for his script while Allu Arjun was praised for his performance. It was concluded that Ala Vaikunthapurramlo is definitely a worth watching movie.
Neeshita Nyayapati of The Times of India gave the film 3.5 stars out of 5 stating "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo has a bit of everything and despite the cliché and the predictable storyline : Trivikram manages to make it work and deliver what he promises. Watch this for Allu Arjun, especially if you're a fan, for he shines in this one and of course, the fun of it all."
Karthik Keramalu of The Quint called Ala Vaikunthapurramlo an entertainer that promises fun. According to him "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo has a lot going for it because Bantu (weirdest name for a Telugu movie hero) spends time with other characters (played by Tabu, Jayaram, Sunil, Sachin Khedekar, Vennela Kishore, Rajendra Prasad, Rahul Ramakrishna, Nivetha Pethuraj etc...) and doesn't wallow in mediocrity for a long time. And P. S., Vinod's cinematography makes each frame in the action episodes appear as avant-garde paintings. And on top of it all, the songs are a treat!An absolute treat!"
Bhavana Sharma of International Business Times called the film a Paisa Vasool entertainer with amazing performances. She further added "Allu Arjun is back with a bang after a gap of two years. Living up to the expectations of the audiences and showing Trivikram's mark everywhere, Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo rings in the celebrations of the Sankranthi festival and proves that the film was worth the wait."
- "Censor Certificate Ala Vaikunthapurramloo". 123telugu.com.
- Kumar, Pradeep (6 January 2020). "Allu Arjun's swag is matchless in 'Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo': Govind Padmasoorya" – via www.thehindu.com.
- "ALA VAIKUNTHAPURRAMULOO". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
- "Allu Arjun's next film titled Ala Vaikuntapuramlo and first glimpse teaser revealed!". in.com. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "AA 19: Allu Arjun film with director Trivikram Srinivas goes on floors". India Today.
- "#AA19: Jayaram undergoes a massive transformation for his next with Allu Arjun!". in.com. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Tabu welcomed on-board to Trivikram, Allu Arjun, Pooja Hegde's #AA19 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Sushanth shares his shooting experience: "AA19 is one of the coolest & fun sets I've been" - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Thaman roped to score music in Allu Arjun - Trivikram film". thenewsminute.com. 13 April 2019. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- "Details of Allu Arjun's #AA19 with Trivikram Srinivas". Times of India. 31 December 2018.
- "Allu Arjun poses for a snap with fans after #AA19 puja ceremony".
- "AA19: Tabu joins cast of Allu Arjun, Pooja Hegde-starrer, directed by Trivikram Srinivas". First Post. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Sushanth joins the shoot of AA19". Indian Express. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "AA 19 First Glimpse: అల్లు అర్జున్ 'అల వైకుంఠపురములో'.. ఫస్ట్ పంచ్ పేలిందే!". Telugu Samayam. Retrieved 13 August 2019.
- jalapathy (9 November 2019). "Allu Arjun shoots at the famous cabaret show". telugucinema.com. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Samuthirakani as villain". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Hooli, Shekhar. "Allu Arjun sets new record with AVPL 1st song Samajavaragamana crossing 100 million views". International Business Times. Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- "Allu Arjun is all set to give a voice-over for 'Ramuloo Ramulaa' from his film Ala Vaikuntapuramulo". Naa songs. 5 October 2019. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "Ramuloo Ramulaa Full Song". YouTube. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo – OMG Daddy Song Teaser". 1 January 2018.
- "Humax Cinema Ikebukuro Event". indoeiga.com. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- "Ala Vaikunthapuramlo FL : AA charms in 'Trivikram' mark stylish look". Telugu 360. September 2019. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "Ala Vaikunthapurramloo Dussehra Poster OUT!!while ago". Tollywood Movie News, Telugu Movie Review and Rating, Stills, News, Censor Talk - Myfirstshow. 7 October 2019. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Mahesh Babu, Allu Arjun to clash at the box office during Sankranti? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "First Look: Sushanth looks classy in Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Happy Birthday Tabu: First look poster of the ravishing actress from Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo Titled As Angu Vaikuntapurathu In Malayalam - Industry Hit English". Dailyhunt. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- Vyas (9 December 2019). "Ala Vaikunthapurramloo Movie teaser to be out on December 11th". www.thehansindia.com. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "[Video] Ala Vaikunthapurramloo teaser: Allu Arjun makes a dashing entry in this entertainer". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- Hemanth Kumar (12 January 2020). "Allu Arjun and Murali Sharma shine in Trivikram Srinivas's heartfelt drama:Ala Vaikunthapuramuloo Review". firstpost.com. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Rohit Mohan (12 January 2020). "Allu Arjun and Trivikram Srinivas's Sankranthi treat wins hearts". koimoi.com. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- The Hans India (12 January 2020). "Ala Vaikunthapurramlo movie review & rating". thehansindia.com. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Neeshita Nyayapati (13 January 2019). "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo has a bit of everything — there's romance, drama, comedy, emotion and lots of swag". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- Karthik Keramalu (13 January 2020). "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo is an entertainer that promises fun". thequint.com. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- Bhavana Sharma (12 January 2020). "Paisa Vasool entertainer with amazing performances". ibtimes.com. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (12 January 2020). "Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo film review". thehindu.com. Retrieved 14 January 2020.