Allendale, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Allendale
Neighbourhood
Allendale is located in Edmonton
Allendale
Allendale
Location of Allendale in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°30′07″N 113°30′22″W / 53.502°N 113.506°W / 53.502; -113.506
Country Canada
Province Alberta
CityEdmonton
Quadrant[1]NW
Ward[1]10
Sector[2]Mature area
Area[3]Strathcona
Government
 • Administrative bodyEdmonton City Council
 • CouncillorDon Iveson
Area
 • Total0.88 km2 (0.34 sq mi)
Elevation
674 m (2,211 ft)
Population
(2012)[6]
 • Total2,722
 • Density3,093.2/km2 (8,011/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12)
Decrease-5.8%
 • Dwellings
1,538

Allendale is a residential neighbourhood located in south west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The neighbourhood is named for the Allen family, who farmed the area before it was annexed by the City of Strathcona in 1907.[7]

Residential development in Allendale commenced prior to the end of World War II. Approximately one residence in eleven (9%) were constructed at this time according to the 2001 federal census. Approximate half the residences in the neighbourhood (48.1%) were constructed between the end of World War II and 1960. One in three (34.6%) of residences were constructed during the 1960s and 1970s. A small number of residences were constructed after 1980.[8]

Seven out of ten (72%) of residences are single-family dwellings, according to the 2005 municipal census, making them the most common type of home in the neighbourhood. Just under one in seven (15%) are rented apartments in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories. Another one in eight (12%) are duplexes.[9] Just over half the residences (54%) are rented, with the remaining 46% being owner occupied.[10]

The population of Allendale is comparatively mobile. According to the 2005 municipal census, one in five (21.7%) of residents had moved within the previous 12 months. Another one in four (23.9%) had moved within the previous one to three years. Only four in ten (38.1%) had lived at the same address for five years or longer.[11]

There is one school in the neighbourhood. Allendale Elementary Junior High School is operated by the Edmonton Public School System.

The neighbourhood is bounded on the east by 104 Street and the Canadian Pacific Railway right of way, on the south by 61 Avenue, on the west by 109 Street, and on the north by 70 Avenue.

The residents of the community are represented by the Allendale community league, established in 1955, which maintains a community hall, tennis courts and outdoor rink located behind the Allendale Junior High School.[12][13]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Allendale had a population of 2,722 living in 1,538 dwellings,[6] a -5.8% change from its 2009 population of 2,889.[14] With a land area of 0.88 km2 (0.34 sq mi),[5] it had a population density of 3,093.2 people/km2 in 2012.[5][6]

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  3. ^ History of Annexations (Map). City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department. |access-date= requires |url= (help)
  4. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  5. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
  6. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
  7. ^ From the neighbourhood description in the City of Edmonton Map Utility
  8. ^ "Period of Construction - Allendale" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
  9. ^ Duplexes include both triplexes and fourplexes.
  10. ^ "Dwelling Unit by Structure Type and Ownership - Allendale" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
  11. ^ "Length of Residence - Allendale" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
  12. ^ "Allendale Community League". Allendale Community League. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
  13. ^ Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
  14. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.

External links[edit]