|• Administrative body||Edmonton City Council|
|• Councillor||Ben Henderson|
|• Total||2.58 km2 (1.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||664 m (2,178 ft)|
|• Density||2,274.8/km2 (5,892/sq mi)|
|• Change (2009–12)||−2.5%|
The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by 75 Street, on the east by 50 Street, on the south by 90 Avenue, and on the north by 98 Avenue and Terrace Road.
In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Ottewell had a population of 5,869 living in 2,721 dwellings, a -2.5% change from its 2009 population of 6,019. With a land area of 2.58 km2 (1.00 sq mi), it had a population density of 2,274.8 people/km2 in 2012.
The most popular style of home according to the 2005 municipal census, is the single-family dwelling. Single-family dwellings account for eight out of ten (79%) of all residences in Ottewell. The next most common type of residence, accounting for almost one in eight (12%) of residences, is apartments in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories. Four percent of residences are duplexes while 5% of residences are included in a category called collective residences. Three out of every four residences (77%) are owner-occupied while the remaining residences are rented.
Golden Homes was one of the major builders in the area. Houses that sold for approximately $20,000 new in the early 1960s are worth more than $400,000 by 2007, a twentyfold increase in price.
There are six schools in the Ottewell neighbourhood. Three are operated by the Edmonton Public School System, two are operated by the Edmonton Catholic School System, and one is an independent charter school.
- Edmonton Public Schools
- Braemar Public School
- Clara Tyner Elementary School (1966)
- Ottewell Junior High School(1960)
- Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Austin O'Brien High School
- St. Brendan Catholic Elementary School (demolished in 2014; replaced by "megaschool")
- Suzuki Charter School Native Land
Shopping and services
Ottewell Plaza, a strip mall containing a large grocery store and various other shops, is located in the far south of the neighbourhood.
Places of worship in Ottewell include Mosaic House Church, Ottewell United Church, St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church, Braemar Baptist Church, the Salvation Army Edmonton Temple, and Al-Hadi Mosque (Ahmadiyya Muslim).
Capilano Transit Centre
|Platforms||7 bus bays|
|Website||Capilano Transit Centre|
The Capilano Transit Centre is located on the south side of the Capilano Mall. Amenities at this transit centre include a large shelter and pay phone. Thare are no vending machines, washrooms or park and ride services available at this transit centre.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Belvedere Transit Centre||99|
|Bonnie Doon||4, 80, 94, 307|
|Coliseum Transit Centre||99|
|Downtown||1, 85, 88, 112|
|Eastgate Industrial||80, 85|
|Jasper Place Transit Centre||1|
|Lewis Farms Transit Centre||4|
|Meadowlark Transit Centre||1|
|Millgate Transit Centre||84|
|Northlands||591 (during K-Days)|
|South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre||4|
|Southgate Transit Centre||80|
|University Transit Centre||4, 94|
|West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre||1, 4, 112|
|Whyte Ave||4, 94|
School special routes that arrive/depart from Capilano Transit Centre include routes: 1S and 99S.
- "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 3, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- From the neighbourhood description in the City of Edmonton map utility
- "Contact Us". Ottewell Community League. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Kuban, Ron (2005). Edmonton's Urban Villages: The Community League Movement. University of Alberta Press. ISBN 9781459303249.
- "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Duplexes include triplexes and quadruplexes.
- "Capilano Transit Centre Map" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Capilano Transit Centre". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Brochures in PDF". City of Edmonton. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- "School Service: ETS Trip Planner". City of Edmonton. Retrieved 28 August 2019.