District location in Uganda
|• Land||802 km2 (310 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,800 m (5,900 ft)|
|• Density||163.6/km2 (424/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Buhweju District is bordered by Rubirizi District to the west and northwest, Ibanda District to the northeast, Mbarara District to the east, Sheema District to the southeast, and Bushenyi District to the southwest. Nsiika, the location of the district headquarters, is approximately 53 kilometres (33 mi), by road, northwest of Mbarara, the largest city in Ankole sub-region. This location is approximately 310 kilometres (190 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the district are:00°20'40.0"S, 30°25'00.0"E (Latitude:-0.344444; Longitude:30.416667).
Buhweju District was carved out of Bushenyi District in July 2010. The district is part of Ankole sub-region, home to an estimated 2.56 million people in 2014, according to the national census conducted that year. Districts that constitute Ankole sub-region include the following:
The national census in 1991 estimated the district population at about 55,540. In 2002, the national census conducted that year put the population of the district at approximately 82,900. In August 2014, the national population census and housing survey enumerated the population in the district at 120,720.
- Tumushabe, Alfred (24 September 2016). "Buhweju: Beautiful but unlucky". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Google (17 January 2018). "Location of Buhweju District, Western Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Globefeed.com (17 January 2018). "Distance between Mbarara, Western Region, Uganda and Nsika, Buhweju, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Globefeed.com (17 January 2018). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Nsika, Buhweju, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Google (17 January 2018). "Geographical Coordinates of Buhweju District, Western Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- UBOS (November 2014). "National Population and Housing Census: Population by District By Sex, Residence, Population Type, Uganda, 2014" (PDF). Kampala: Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The population development of Buhweju District as well as related information and services". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Buhweju miners, investor fight over gold exploration". Daily Monitor. Kampala. 17 August 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "BUHWEJU DISTRICT | LOCAL GOVERNMENT". buhweju.go.ug. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- Barigaba, Julius (27 August 2011). "Politics of patronage: Gold-rich Buhweju struggling for revenue". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Archived from the original on 18 January 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2018.