District location in Uganda
|• Land||446.1 km2 (172.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,420 m (4,660 ft)|
|Population (2012 Estimate)|
|• Density||537.1/km2 (1,391/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Sironko District is a district in Eastern Uganda. The district was created in 2000 and had previously been part of Mbale District. Like most Ugandan districts, it is named after its main commercial town, Sironko.
Sironko District is bordered by Bulambuli District to the north, Kapchorwa District and Kween District to the northeast, the Republic of Kenya to the east, Bududa District to the southeast, Mbale District to southwest and Bukedea District to the west. Its 'chief town', Sironko, is located approximately 22 kilometres (14 mi), by road, northeast of Mbale, the largest city in the sub-region. The coordinates of the district are:01 14N, 34 15E.
In 1991, the national population census estimated the district population at about 147,700. The national census in 2002 estimated the population of the district at about 185,800, with an annual population growth rate of 2.6%. It is estimated that the population of the district in 2012 was approximately 239,600. The majority of the people in Sironko District belong to the Bagisu ethnic group, and Lugisu is the most widely spoken language.
The district has a total area of 446.1 square kilometres (172.2 sq mi). The district lies between approximately 1,299 metres (4,262 ft) and 1,524 metres (5,000 ft) above sea level.
Counties, sub-counties and constituencies
Budadiri County is the only county in the district. The district is divided into two parliamentary constituencies: Budadiri East and Budadiri West. Budadiri County is subdivided into the following sub-counties:
The primary activity is agriculture with a focus on food crops such as beans, groundnuts, sorghum, millet, cassava, potatoes and sweet potatoes. Coffee and cotton are the main cash crops. Fruits and vegetables grown in the district include passion fruit, tomatoes, onions and cabbage.
- "Map Showing Mbale And Sironko With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Sironko District In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- ., . (2012). "Estimated Land Area In Sironko District". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Districts of Uganda, Statoids, accessed 3 August 2015
- Counties of Uganda, Statoids, accessed 3 August 2015
- "Economic Activity In Sironko District". Uganda Travel Bureau. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- Spectrum guide to Uganda, Interlink Books, 1998, p. 156. ISBN 1-56656-270-8.