Construct (game engine)
|Initial release||February 4, 2011|
r233 / August 8, 2016
r236 / September 23, 2016
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Game creation system / Multimedia content creator|
Construct is an HTML5-based 2D game editor, developed by Scirra Ltd. It is aimed primarily at non-programmers, allowing quick creation of games in a drag-and-drop fashion using a visual editor and a behavior-based logic system.
Event system and behaviors
The primary method of programming games and applications in Construct is through 'event sheets', which are similar to source files used in programming languages. Each event sheet has a list of events, which contain conditional statements or triggers. Once these are met, actions or functions can be carried out. Event logic such as OR and AND, as well as sub-events (representing scope) allow for sophisticated systems to be programmed without learning a comparatively more difficult programming language. Groups can be used to enable and disable multiple events at once, and to organize events.
Object instance selection
Unlike many traditional development environments, Construct eschews selecting specific instances of objects when adding events, in favor of filtering through all instances of an object type on screen. When adding events, the editor allows the user to specify conditions or checks that must be fulfilled by each object instance on the screen before the event will be added or run by it. Events can be chained together using sub-events, allowing for more complicated behaviors to be created.
HTML5 and storefronts
Construct's primary export platforms are HTML5 based. It claims support across Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9+, Safari 6+ and Opera 15+ on desktop browsers, and support for Safari in iOS 6+, Chrome and Firefox for Android, Windows Phone 8+, BlackBerry 10+ and Tizen.
Additionally, Construct can export to several online marketplaces and platforms, including Facebook, the Chrome Web Store, the Firefox Marketplace, the Amazon Appstore, Scirra's own Arcade and Kongregate.
Construct has the ability to export to several platforms that provide offline and native application behavior: Windows, OS X and both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux are supported by exporting to NW.js. Doing this will allow the user to incorporate several features that HTML5 apps do not normally support, such as fileIO. On October 23, 2012, Scirra announced full support for exporting to Windows 8 Metro apps, including the incorporation of in-app purchases, 'snap' view states, roaming data, sharing, live tiles, touch input and accelerometer and inclinometer input. Support for exporting to Windows 10 Universal apps was added on August 26, 2015.
On January 20, 2014, Scirra announced that Construct would be adding support for Nintendo's Wii U system. Later that year, a plug-in was released to make Construct-based games compatible with the Nintendo Web Framework.
|Initial release||October 27, 2007|
r2 / February 5, 2012
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Originally developed by a group of students, Construct Classic is the free and open source DirectX predecessor to Construct 2, first released on October 27, 2007. The most recent release is r2, released on February 5, 2012.
On October 18, 2012, Construct 2 was submitted to Steam Greenlight. Construct 2 was in the first batch of software titles to be greenlit on November 30, 2012. On January 26, 2013, Construct 2 was the second 'Greenlit' software title to be launched on Steam.
On January 27, 2015, Construct 3 was announced in an entry in the official Scirra blog. New features include Mac and Linux support, multi-language support and third-party extensibility of the editor.
- "Download the public preview (release 26)". Ashley Gullen. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "Construct 2 Release r233". Scirra. 2016-08-08. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "Construct 2 Release r236". Scirra. 2016-09-23. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- "Create games with Construct 2". Scirra.
- "London Startup Scirra Launches HTML5 Game Creator". Yahoo News.
- "Construct 2, a drag and drop game maker". ActiveTuts+.
- How Events Work. (n.d) retrieved 2/25/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/manual/75/how-events-work
- Gullen, A (2012, April, 13). Guide to Construct 2's advanced event features. retrieved 2/25/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/292/guide-to-construct-2s-advanced-event-features
- Event Groups. (n.d) retrieved 2/25/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/manual/80/groups
- Scirra. How Events Work. retrieved 5/20/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/manual/75/how-events-work
- Scirra. Supported platforms. retrieved 5/20/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/manual/168/supported-platforms
- Burton A. (2012, December, 17). How to Export to Kongregate/How to Upload to Kongregate. retrieved 5/20/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/424/how-to-export-to-kongregatehow-to-upload-to-kongregate
- Gullen, A. (2012, October, 23). Make Windows 8 games with Construct 2. retrieved 5/25/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/blog/99/make-windows-8-games-with-construct-2
- Gullen, A. (2015, August, 25). Publish Windows 10 Store apps with Construct 2. retrieved 8/5/2016, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/blog/167/publish-windows-10-store-apps-with-construct-2
- Gullen, A. (2011, October 28). How to export to mobile with Cordova. retrieved at 5/25/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/71/how-to-make-native-phone-apps-with-construct-2-and-phonegap
- Gullen, A. (2014, January, 20). Announcing Construct 2 support for Wii U. retrieved 5/20/2014, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/blog/135/announcing-construct-2-support-for-wii-u
- Gullen, A. (2016, April, 13). Announcing Xbox One export beta. retrieved 8/5/2016, from Scirra Web Site: https://www.scirra.com/blog/176/announcing-xbox-one-export-beta
- Ashley Gullen (2007-01-07). "Forum Post". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Construct Classic - Browse /construct/Construct 0.8 at". Sourceforge.net. 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2012-06-12.
- Ashley Gullen (2012-02-05). "Construct Classic r2 released". Retrieved 2014-06-04.
- Ashley Gullen (2013-04-20). "Forum Post". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Steam Greenlight :: Construct 2". Steamcommunity.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Group Announcements :: Greenlight". Steam Community. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Construct 2 on Steam". Store.steampowered.com. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Ashley Gullen (2015-01-27). "The future of Construct". Retrieved 2015-03-01.