The PlayCanvas web-based Editor and example of a 3d application in-development
|Developer(s)||Will Eastcott, Dave Evans, Vaios Kalpias-Illias, Kevin Rooney, Maksims Mihejevs|
|Operating system||OS independent|
|Type||HTML5 3D engine|
|As of||July 2014|
PlayCanvas is an open source 3D game engine/interactive 3D application engine alongside a proprietary cloud-hosted creation platform that allows for simultaneous editing from multiple computers via a browser-based interface. It runs in modern browsers that support WebGL, including Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. The engine is capable of rigid-body physics simulation, handling three-dimensional audio and 3D animations.
PlayCanvas has gained the support of ARM, Activision and Mozilla.
Notable use cases
Various companies use PlayCanvas in projects of different disciplines of interactive 3D content in the web.
- "PlayCanvas goes open source". hacks.mozilla.org. June 4, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "GDC 2014: Mozilla and partners prove Web is the platform for gaming". blog.mozilla.org. March 18, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Techstars London: Top Picks". techcrunch.com. September 27, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "PlayCanvas 3D WebGL Game Engine Now Open Source". gamingonlinux.com. June 4, 2014. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "PlayCanvas takes its WebGL video game engine open source". thenextweb.com. June 4, 2014. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "PlayCanvas Browser-Based Game Engine". phoronix.com. June 4, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Ludei CocoonJS".
- "Ludei CocconJS Tech Partners - Engines". ludei.com. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "PlayCanvas App On Mobile Using CocoonJS". magicsheepgames.co.uk. October 9, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "Github PlayCanvas Users List".
- "Disney - Hour of Code - Moana (educational game)".
- "Facebook - Shuffle Cats Mini (game)".
- "TANX (game)".
- "Miniclip - Virtual Voodoo (game)".
- "Miniclip - Flappy Bird (game)".
- "Mozilla launching WebGL 2.0 support in Firefox".
- "After the Flood (webgl 2.0 demo)".